(Updated with better footage) Zombies vanish sometimes next to cars

MadDan

Unfortunately, this is a very hard bug to reproduce or capture because it doesn't frequently happen, but at least making it aware it is a bug might help. Singleplayer, no mods, hardcore survival. Has also happened to me on MP private server with a friend.

Specs:
Intel Core i7 6700

GTX 1070

16GB RAM

Installed in HDD, not SSD

Windows 10

Can't really provide much more information that I can think of.

I'll try to capture a few hours of footage and see if it happens in so I can edit it into a clip.

The best I can capture at the moment was this:

You should be able to see the panic moodle pop up every time I go near the car. It vanished behind the car where I'm standing at 1:04 in the video, and there's no corpse there.

EDIT: It doesn't just happen near cars, happened to me in Winter is Coming challenge two inside a house. They disappear after dying, and no corpse is left to loot. Irritatingly too random to capture so far.

EDIT 2:  I finally caught this. This was on the new weather branch, although as you can see it's not exclusive to that branch. It seems to be everywhere, single player, multiplayer, sandbox survival, no mods. Zombie completely disappeared when killed. Singleplayer, no mods, six months later. I didn't edit anything in the weather debug menu either. I was turning shaders on and off before this to give feedback about the weather branch, but that was a minute and a half before I killed this zombie.

Edited by MadDan2013

I had the same happen on multiplayer server, as I mentioned in Spiffospace megatest thread – people also saw invisible zombies, but I luckily only was affected by disappearing corpses. However, the same happened to my previous (infected) player corpse after we tried to move it to bury it.

Edited by Faalagorn

• 3 months later...

Updating this to say it's still an issue in the latest IWBUMS branch, 40.26 (at least I think that's the latest branch). Not sure what else to add as I can't find anything that seems to be causing it. Thought it might be the vicinity of cars, but nope.

Edited by MadDan2013

4 minutes ago, EnigmaGrey said:

Not really. Can't reproduce it / haven't heard of others with the issue.

There's not much we can go on. :(

That's odd, could it be something on my end possibly? Only seems to happen when they're downed. Would a log or anything help? It just happened in my current SP save.

It is very random and I personally can't find anything specific that triggers it either.

That's disappointing on the first one. I seem to be the only person experiencing them disappearing in singleplayer (as well as MP). I just can't narrow it down but I might as well try and maybe the devs will figure out a cause.

In my experience:

• Not due to mods,
  • It doesn't appear to be directly related to cars (as in their vicinity),
  • It only happens on downed zombies,
  • It can happen when fighting single zombies, or multiple, indoors or outdoors
  • Only happened with blunt weapons (baseball bat, hammer)*,
  • Only occurred since the weather build was in testing,
  • Doesn't cause exception/red box error

*as far as I remember.

UPDATE 1:

The vanishing is getting very frequent, to the point of almost (roughly) every 40th zombie is disappearing. Possibly earlier.

• Only happened with blunt weapons (baseball bat, hammer)*,
  • It only happens on downed zombies,

These are incorrect now. I just had it happen with a jaw stab animation (which is a bladed weapon), and also the zombie was not downed.

I'm aware it doesn't narrow it down much but hopefully, it helps somewhat. I'll keep updating and posting if I find any more. It's very random and I know the devs/support team doesn't have time to play a full game normally to find a bug that you can't increase the chance of reproducing.

On 11/3/2018 at 1:54 AM, nickodemos said:

Zombie disappearing no. But with the invisible one odds are it is a zombie out of range but is looking at you so it sets off the zoink alarm.

That's disappointing on the first one. I seem to be the only person experiencing them disappearing in singleplayer (as well as MP).

The invisible one I'm not too sure on, but it hasn't happened since. The moodle seemed to be triggered very specifically in one area though. Regardless, this one doesn't seem to be an issue anymore since I posted the video.

Edited by MadDan2013

It just may be a glitch that might reset with a full reinstall. As it is every so often I get a zombie that I hit and it ends up in a forever falling position and it will not die. I can beat on it forever and rack up points but it will not die. This happens very rarely but I just had it happen last night.

In your case maybe an alert got locked in place even after you killed the zed. It's not a matter of you reproducing something as for some reason the game keeps thinking there is a functioning zed within range.

As to the invisible zeds think of it as your awesome strength and power annihilated it.

• 4 months later...

Another update on this: Temporary fix is to put corpses on 2D instead of 3D. Hasn't occurred since I've done that. That's the biggest specific I can offer at the moment, though I think it's the best one.

Unfortunately, I don't think that'll be possible any more when the animations and combat overhaul come out. Or if it is possible then corpses would be significantly different than alive zombies. Sometimes new features can seemingly fix bugs, or more likely introduce new ones, but maybe once they're out we'll be able to track it down/fix easier.

So, Dan, does it happen when 3D corpses and 3D characters are set to "all?"

I'm curious if there's something going wrong when it hits its cap (e.g. player + 8) where it doesn't render the 8th zombie on death.

Just a guess, though. Appreciate keeping these posts alive!

• 2 weeks later...

Aargh :P. It's annoying it keeps changing. I'd love if I could find a definitive answer myself. It seems to just be one of those bugs that can't be reproduced.

I've regularly had it on "all", but I've tried again with different settings and I haven't experienced it in a definite time frame I normally would have (10-20 zombies killed). Now I have it set to all, with 3D corpses and it's seemingly fine again. Maybe changing to 2D and back to 3D did something? I'm at a complete loss at this point to be honest. Guaranteed it'll probably happen again after posting this or something.

• 1 month later...
On 11/4/2018 at 7:11 AM, nickodemos said:

It just may be a glitch that might reset with a full reinstall. As it is every so often I get a zombie that I hit and it ends up in a forever falling position and it will not die. I can beat on it forever and rack up points but it will not die. This happens very rarely but I just had it happen last night.

In your case maybe an alert got locked in place even after you killed the zed. It's not a matter of you reproducing something as for some reason the game keeps thinking there is a functioning zed within range.

As to the invisible zeds think of it as your awesome strength and power annihilated it.

I run into that too.  Great way to get XP if the Admin don't catch ya :P

I'm also seeing the vanishing zombies while fighting.  I just made a post on it.  While fighting, ALL of them around you will vanish but they're still there.  You just dont see them.  If you don't run away until they pop back in, you will be hurt badly.  Your swings are at nothing but air but they can still react as soon as they pop back in and will always have the initiative on the attack.  No matter if you're in mid swing and aiming right at them.

This happens OFTEN and for everyone on the server I play on.

• 1 month later...

Ok i might get smashed in the face for this but  can you take this car and drive in different place? i had occasionaly zombies "stuck" under the car (hit by car, fall on the floor, parked on top of it) and zombie laying on he floor waiting to get up - it cannot (because of the car) so it is just laying there. when you drive off it will get up.

I have seen in my game similar thing happened (with panic moodlet) and every time i checked there was some living zombie under the car that could not get out.

I think it might be good idea to add to game that if zombie will stuck under the car it will become crawler and crawl out from it (as far i;m aware crawler can move under the car).

Please let me know if this is  case (i'm curious why something like that happen).