RELEASED: WEATHER TEST BUILD

Batsphinx

The new temperature systems works, which I'm really happy about because people didn't really care if they were hypothermic or hyperthermic, neither they did take damage for that. Also since this update I'm not able to toggle the dev tools, so I can't check out the body temperature neither the weather log. Is this intentional?

2 hours ago, turbotutone said:

When level 3 or 4 of either is hit when asleep you will wake up from it.

I get why you would wake up if you had heatstroke on bed. But most people that suffer from hypothermia don't ever wake up because hypothermia just makes them extremely sleepy.

I think that the character at least should get more tired if he/she has hypothermia, just like real life.

Umbrellas now reduce the rate at which you get wet, and you’ll be able to get up to 50% wet.

So you just only have to equip the umbrella to make this work?

Umbrellas now reduce the rate at which you get wet, and you’ll be able to get up to 50% wet.

Please don't handle it in a hardcoded way. I'm sure we modders would love to tweak that and add our own items to that system.

You probably have something cooked up for when animations are released but if I can I'd like to suggest a new item value, that when used for clothes check if the character is wearing them, if not clothes then check if the item is equipped in one of the hands. It could be a simple add % to character's cover (i.e. Umbrella 50%, rain boots 10%, rain coat 60% and possibly cap it at 95% or whatever you feel is balanced.)

12 hours ago, ethanc56 said:

Is everybody else able to get the debug panels up? I've been seeing that you're supposed to use SHIFT+BACKSPACE to bring up the panels, but it isn't working for me.

Some of these might have been disabled in preparation for a wider release.

The current weather beta version looks pretty good, but there is still some  bugs
1. Missing floor tiles on 2nd floor in this building ( Riverside) -https://map.projectzomboid.com/#0.5529902847673417,0.0899333071994897,1305.3977172958737
20180720151347_1.thumb.jpg.c462522cd584ca341b283ed3bc68116e.jpg
2. When I died, my corpse became invisible ( Maybe because of grass and erosion aroud, met this before with zombies corpses in 39.67.5) 
20180720123854_1.thumb.jpg.ab5ea672815140e6f66963325fc25281.jpg

And about optimization -  maybe there will be any optimizations of weather effects or something ? I played without zombies and 12 months erosion and FPS are much lower than in 39.67.5 ( before I get around 50 FPS with max zoom level with zombies, now I get around 35 FPS with same settings, and with fog even less.)

Also, zombies in 40.3  seems to be more indifferent to the player. I played in 39.67.5 version 3 days ago and zombies in this version definitely be more aggresive  to the player and heard & see me much better than now. Now they  still reacting pretty good, but not enough as in 39.67.5. Many of them  now just standing on ground without any movement, before they moving around more often and be more dangerous.

Edited by MaxD12

5 minutes ago, MaxD12 said:

20180720151347_1.jpg

20180720123854_1.jpg

20180718212534_1.jpg

I'm pretty sure that's the old build. I had to reinstall and get out of the beta so the game could update properly.

Supposedly it has to be like this:

Like this.png

The image by the way, is from this week thursdoid.

Edited by axeladalidez78

It was posted several minutes after the announcement here, so I originally launched the old build too. I had to restart Steam for the new update to download, guess you can force it by veryfying cache too.

Anyway, the most recent build should say "40.3 - BigMerge" instead of "39.68" now, that's how you can easily confirm you're on the new build (also there's a new new game menu and the world will have to convert to a new version as per usual patches).

41 minutes ago, axeladalidez78 said:

I'm pretty sure that's the old build. I had to reinstall and get out of the beta so the game could update properly.

Supposedly it has to be like this:

Like this.png

The image by the way, is from this week thursdoid.

It's just my mistake with my editing  of this post.  Two first my screenshots  are showing some bugs and last - this is night temperature in June, 1 which I discovered exactly in previous weather beta version 39.68 ( standart weather settings ). I wanted to say that  weather  now really unpredictable and farming  can be really hard ( especially in autumn). I'm sure that I saw mention about reworking of farming system in  some of previous Thursdoids, would be great to see different farming.

Edited by MaxD12

I also forgot to ask, is the Outdoorsman taken into calculation at all now? I always take it but never extensively tested it, but I remember people saying it's overpowered in a way you never catch cold – with the illness and wetness now taken into consideration for player temperature, maybe the trait could be tweaked to more sane values assuming it's still just plain "no option to catch cold from wetness ever"?

I have been away for the game for some time now.

I should finally have time to play in the next week or so.   Really excited about the weather system and the level of complexity you are trying to implement.

You seem to be taking wind into account to affect the ability to resist cold.   That is awesome that you are implementing wind chill into the game.

I wonder will you be adding air humidity to affect the ability to resist the heat (combination of high heat and humidity is harder on the body and leads to much quicker exhaustion).

Finally, I hope that you will combine air temperature (at least) and moisture (ideally) to the speed at which food will spoil.   A freshly caught rabbit in winter could be frozen outdoor and still be fresh a month later.   A rabbit left outdoor on a hot humid day would no longer be edible by the next day.

Love the progress you guys are doing on the game.

17 hours ago, vanorfeadiel said:

Finally, I hope that you will combine air temperature (at least) and moisture (ideally) to the speed at which food will spoil.   A freshly caught rabbit in winter could be frozen outdoor and still be fresh a month later.   A rabbit left outdoor on a hot humid day would no longer be edible by the next day.

Oh, I'd love some more detail and randomness on when exactly food spoils. It's weird that suddenly all type of food spawned in the game magically goes stale then rots at a similar time, the only modifiers being refrigerators and freezers. I assume the same system could be used for temperature, to cool down or even freeze the food during cold winter days and slow down the spoilage. Since there is also already a mechanic for food to get hot (even for non-cookable ones; including GoodHot and BadCold flags), I guess it could be used to speed up the rotting process when food is exposed to higher temperatures (be it heating in oven or just leaving in high temperature, particularity outside the containers).

I'd love to see some more realistic mechanic for food expiration – currently all the food spawned at the same time will spawn at the same date which is heavily not realistic – food never spoils at the same time, especially when we take into account different manufacturing/harvesting time, but even with it packaged food with the same expiration date when stored in the same condition can spoil a little before (vary rarely), or after the expiration dates (quite often, as expiration date is minimal and only a guideline). And the food you forage, harvest or animals you catch are widely different in the first place.

I'd also like if packaged (packaged = true) food would always have visible expiration (for perishables) and best before (for non-perishables, as we all know it's perfectly fine to dry food way over best before dates, lacking only some flavour, which maybe could be reflected with happiness bonuses for eating food that's only at best before?). Even then, perishables should not strictly spoil exactly at a given time, but randomly shortly before or after the date given the reason above + modifiers.

Finally, I love how canned food is non-perishable but opened canned food is which is accurate, but partially eaten should spoil faster too, depending on the food – which is especially true for opened packaged food.

Nutritionist could see the approximate expiration date for non-packaged food similar to nutrition, but I think that perk needs a bit of tweaking, as seeing exact nutritional values on food even if you know a lot about it is not really realistic (it should be approximated).

I originally wanted to make a separate thread with those suggestions, (and will probably do, since I have a feeling this post will get unnoticed shortly), but since you mentioned it I elaborated on the details ;).

1 hour ago, Faalagorn said:

Oh, I'd love some more detail and randomness on when exactly food spoils. It's weird that suddenly all type of food spawned in the game magically goes stale then rots at a similar time, the only modifiers being refrigerators and freezers. I assume the same system could be used for temperature, to cool down or even freeze the food during cold winter days and slow down the spoilage. Since there is also already a mechanic for food to get hot (even for non-cookable ones; including GoodHot and BadCold flags), I guess it could be used to speed up the rotting process when food is exposed to higher temperatures (be it heating in oven or just leaving in high temperature, particularity outside the containers).

I'd love to see some more realistic mechanic for food expiration – currently all the food spawned at the same time will spawn at the same date which is heavily not realistic – food never spoils at the same time, especially when we take into account different manufacturing/harvesting time, but even with it packaged food with the same expiration date when stored in the same condition can spoil a little before (vary rarely), or after the expiration dates (quite often, as expiration date is minimal and only a guideline). And the food you forage, harvest or animals you catch are widely different in the first place.

I'd also like if packaged (packaged = true) food would always have visible expiration (for perishables) and best before (for non-perishables, as we all know it's perfectly fine to dry food way over best before dates, lacking only some flavour, which maybe could be reflected with happiness bonuses for eating food that's only at best before?). Even then, perishables should not strictly spoil exactly at a given time, but randomly shortly before or after the date given the reason above + modifiers.

It's a really good idea, especially food expiration mechanic. I would be very glad to see the opportunity  of determining the expiration date in game or something like that. Food like milk, ice cream, eggs ( in box ), mayonnaise and remoulade already can jump into this mechanic and many another food items can jump later with your   good  '''packaged  food'' suggestion. Fruits and vegetables ( also bread, meat and more another pre-made  food) can be packed in plastic packages and boxes ( or another material) and can be found can be found in a variety of places ( food markets, fridges or freezers and even cars.). But I think that this packed food should be pretty rare - for game balance.

1 hour ago, Faalagorn said:

Finally, I love how canned food is non-perishable but opened canned food is which is accurate, but partially eaten should spoil faster too, depending on the food – which is especially true for opened packaged food. 

This is also good suggestion, I think that food spoiling mechanic  needs some improvements, food spoiling can be more realistic with your and vanorfeadiel suggestions. Winter is really dangerous now ( I died because of hypotermia from 11 hours in late December with sweater)
and  it would great if my food could have been stored more time. Hand-made fridge or  mini-cellar that can be made with spade and planks
would be something fantastic even if effectiveness of this thing will  be  much lower than in usual  electric fridge. 
And maybe partially eaten chips, cereals, chocolates and  similar non- perishable food item  should spoil too.

2 hours ago, Faalagorn said:

Nutritionist could see the approximate expiration date for non-packaged food similar to nutrition, but I think that perk needs a bit of tweaking, as seeing exact nutritional values on food even if you know a lot about it is not really realistic (it should be approximated).

You are absolutely right - it's fine if you can determine  approximate nutritional values of food, but the  possibility to see exact nutritional values, especially  on player-made food like  soups and salads? It's definitely unrealstic,  food during cooking often changes its nutritional properties, but  maybe if player have high cooking skills ( level 5  and even above ) the possibility to see this values might be pretty realistic.
Anyway, I don't think that  too many PZ players play with this perk - 4  free points can be spent on another perks  that give  slight boost to usefull skils like fishing, farming and first aid or some another usefull perks. Player weight monitoring is really usefull thing, but now we can see player weight  in "J"  info menu without weighing in scales...
Just now realised that  the possibility  to weighing and  learn your weight also would be realistic, considering that the scales are already in the game :)

3 hours ago, MaxD12 said:

Player weight monitoring is really usefull thing, but now we can see player weight  in "J"  info menu without weighing in scales...
Just now realised that  the possibility  to weighing and  learn your weight also would be realistic, considering that the scales are already in the game

That would be so cool.

Two bugs outlined below.

System info:

Spoiler

Model Name: MacBook Pro

Model Identifier: MacBookPro11,2

Processor Name: Intel Core i7

Processor Speed: 2.2 GHz

Number of Processors: 1

Total Number of Cores: 4

L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB

L3 Cache: 6 MB

Memory: 16 GB

Boot ROM Version: MBP112.0146.B00

SMC Version (system): 2.18f15

Serial Number (system): C02NVBRSG3QC

Hardware UUID: 90683F35-0A23-5C3E-BF61-A2A6129340D3

1. Grey screen of death

When standing in certain buildings (doorways, random tile in a living room, middle of a bedroom, anywhere- Usually contained to a block of 4-8 cells, occasionally entire buildings), the screen goes grey as shown below. HUD remains visible. In all cases, changing zoom level (either in or out) will reveal the screen, though the effect is repeated at various zoom levels.

Pic below: Before and after entering doorway to the cabin. In this case, entire cabin appeared greyed out. This effect does not appear limited to any particular areas.

Spoiler

5b53d0782bd6f_ScreenShot2018-07-21at4_59_55PM.thumb.png.351ea95d579d6580c729ba49ac7115d2.png

5b53d07d5aa98_ScreenShot2018-07-21at5_00_00PM.thumb.png.4294ae187f26176b59dadec10567f590.png

2. Can't attack zombies.

As it sounds. Guns, melee, shoving, blades, jaw stabs- nothing shows any effect on zeds. Zeds can still attack me as per usual.

Bug 1 was evident before the latest update.

Bug 2 was not evident before the latest update.

Couldn't reproduce any of this in the IWBUMS branch.

No mods enabled.

Edited by trombonaught

5 hours ago, MaxD12 said:

Food like milk, ice cream, eggs ( in box ), mayonnaise and remoulade already can jump into this mechanic and many another food items can jump later with your   good  '''packaged  food'' suggestion. Fruits and vegetables ( also bread, meat and more another pre-made  food) can be packed in plastic packages and boxes ( or another material) and can be found can be found in a variety of places ( food markets, fridges or freezers and even cars.). But I think that this packed food should be pretty rare - for game balance.

Actually, what I meant about "packaged" food is the food that have the "PACKAGED = TRUE" already set in the game files (see column K in this spreadsheet:). Currently it's only used for showing nutrition values of the food when you don't have nutritionist perk taken, that's why I suggested improving upon it. It's sometimes misleading due to item icons not explicitly suggesting the food is contained in package, for example bacon and ham, but the moment you slice the bacon or cut the ham, the resulting food is no longer having the "packaged" flag set. Fruits, vegetables, sweets and some premade food (sandwitch, pizza…) never come "packaged", even if found in groceries, but guess we can assume all fruit and veggies in Zomboid are fresh without the foil wrapping. For some candies such as lollipop or modjeska I suggested adding this tag back when nutrition build introduced them, but maybe it was avoided due to the fact how small the packaging is. It's funny how you mentioned egg carton, as it's one of the few odd food items without nutrition values and they also miss the "packaged" flag.

5 hours ago, MaxD12 said:

And maybe partially eaten chips, cereals, chocolates and  similar non- perishable food item  should spoil too.

I wouldn't stretch myself too much with adding spoilage to partially eaten perishables, since although it is certainly something that won't taste anywhere near as great, I don't think it'd be something that would poison you, certainly no more than eating a whole bottle of mayonnaise as we can do at the moment :D. That's why I only mentioned the happiness.

For now I've been focusing on suggesting small improvements for existing food, such as adding missing flags in  the Bug Reports forum, some of which already made it to the most recent build which is fine. There's a few more things I found that are typos or missing arguments that are easy to fix and at worst require a new art (for example, why butter don't rot?) but maybe I'll make a new thread in the suggestions thread where all those ideas could be suggested, although it wouldn't hurt to see this addition in the weather build in addition to the supposedly planned farming revamp, hint, hint ;)?

And definitely +1 to the usable scales, I found one recently in Cortman's Medical and I'm pretty sure then can be picked up and even disassembled, so why not give functionality to them :)? (also, cars have thermometers, so maybe it'd be natural to add other thermometers to the game? To see the outside temperature and player's temperature? And while at it, functional clocks please – just show the time even when you don't have wristclock if you are on the same room with the clock, and maybe even add a battery to it so it have to be changed like lightbulbs with lamps).

7 hours ago, Kurogo said:

Could we get some more active ways to cool ourselves off, such as pouring water on ourselves? I just died from hyperthermia naked, well hydrated, and outside.

Especially since we have bathtubes and showers which could come handy in washing off blood later on.

Edited by Faalagorn

15 hours ago, Kurogo said:

Could we get some more active ways to cool ourselves off, such as pouring water on ourselves? I just died from hyperthermia naked, well hydrated, and outside.

Could Turbo get some details on time of day/year, temperature, how long you were outside etc?

All this stuff clearly needs a lot of balancing, and I suspect making the impact less 'DEATH' and more 'MAKES YOU SLOW' or similar.

1 hour ago, Batsphinx said:

Could Turbo get some details on time of day/year, temperature, how long you were outside etc?

All this stuff clearly needs a lot of balancing, and I suspect making the impact less 'DEATH' and more 'MAKES YOU SLOW' or similar.

My suggestion: hyperthermia only increases your thirst (a lot), which will kill you, rather than the heat killing you directly. I had a similar though opposite death from hypothermia (though my setting was on "Very Cold") when indoors beside a lit stove.

48 minutes ago, Pat_Bren said:

My suggestion: hyperthermia only increases your thirst (a lot), which will kill you, rather than the heat killing you directly. I had a similar though opposite death from hypothermia (though my setting was on "Very Cold") when indoors beside a lit stove.

True. Ideally, you could pass out from hyperthermia as well (which then could indirectly kill you from a zombie eating you when lying helplessly or from thirst or untreated wounds), but since the passing out mechanic isn't there yet, heavily increased thirst should do the job.

2 hours ago, Batsphinx said:

I'm not sure what the temperature was, but it was around midafternoon, maybe 3-4. I'd just driven back to the golf course from WP, so was in my car most of the day(car is missing front 3 windows). I was at stage 2 when I got home, so stripped all clothes off. Made two rounds of transfering loot from the car into the house, and climbed into the car to empty the seats, that's how I died.

Edited by Kurogo