RELEASED: WEATHER TEST BUILD

Batsphinx

Weather Test Version Updated!

Please note that this will break current saves on this test build.

Turbo has also just released an updated version of the test weather beta, which features a multiplayer component of his IsoRegions system – this should allow the information about enclosed player-built spaces across an MP network so fog/precipitation can only be shown in outdoor areas. 

Next step will be in  addressing some of the great feedback you guys have given above :)

10 hours ago, undvoice said:

when can it be tested multiplayer with the weather?:-D

Now :)
The build was updated yesterday:

16 hours ago, Batsphinx said:

Weather Test Version Updated!

Please note that this will break current saves on this test build.

Turbo has also just released an updated version of the test weather beta, which features a multiplayer component of his IsoRegions system – this should allow the information about enclosed player-built spaces across an MP network so fog/precipitation can only be shown in outdoor areas. 

Next step will be in  addressing some of the great feedback you guys have given above :)

I think I've seen this being reported in the thread, already but maybe this helps:

https://youtu.be/XC-41DSFwZI

There seem to be borders that change the fog or rather make layers of it disappear/reappear at different zoom levels.
I'm drawing an imaginary line of the border at the beginning of the video.

Tried to show that fog also disappears on different zoom levels and that the border shifts when changing the zoom level; better shown in this vid:

https://youtu.be/Zhfh_vdO06I

In a car:

https://youtu.be/YfxDYe4sM7Q

Please, please let it be non-breaking with v39 in final release.

BTW ... Will you add modifiers to be able to create a more unrealistic weather? I was thinking "Silent Hill" style...

Edited by artenais

I have been playing with the new weather system and i have to say the game looked amazing before and now its even better!

Fog is hands down the best about it, sent some shivers down my spine thinking i was on silent hill!

here is a couple things i noticed when playing:

-When sawing logs by right clicking the saw on main inventory or the logs in the ground, the text box didnt close and kept following the mouse

- while inside a car it always showed outside temperature was 0

-Built a house on top of the restaurant in riverside, after i finished building the roof whenever i enter the house all you can see is a black screen. Placed a lamp on the floor inside, when stepping outside the door and turning it on i see the light is working but the inside is all black when entering ayways. i dont know if this helps but i took the agoraphobic trait and speed up time while inside the house to see if it would go away and it didnt. Here are some of the screenshots i took

Console text.png

iso region debug.png

Edited by juan_canciani

Hey all,

A new weather version is out now :)

It contains a couple of fixes for some visual bugs and some fixes to the region system.
Also has some optimizations for the indoor masking of weather particles.

Temperature should also be properly hooked and the way it affects the player + moodles has been changed somewhat albeit still a bit wip (likely needs some fine tuning). A new debug panel for this can be opened with SHIFT+BACKSPACE.

Gonna add some more info on this later on.

The newest update of this branch with improved temperature impact are interested me, so I  decided to give some feedback about some features:

1. Player modifiers-  I don't know them very well yet, but they definitely impact on player body temperature.
As I noticed, combination of  values  "Hunger"," Thirst" and "Tired" modifiers gave me  some negative boost to my  body temperature in summer ( increase temperature) and in winter ( reduce temperature). Unfortunately,  I don't know about others modifiers like "wetness" or "sickness", but  guess that they also have some kind of negative or positive(?)  effects.

2. Air near player- it's really interesting thing.  Difference between "World temperature" and "Air near player" is really well-designed and  especially noticeably in winter. In January, 9 difference between temperature outside and inside at least is 3-4  at noon and evening and more in morning and night ( up to 8-9 ) in usual one-storied house. Haven't found any difference in temperature between first or second floor.
In cars this feature also work pretty well - I got around +4-5  to this value without working heater in evening of October, 9.

3. Heat sources - campfire can be really usefull to keep warm, it gives a great boost to "Air near player" value. Can say that this is even more effective than car heater - at least campfire  warms up much faster even if heater turn on max power.  Both of them give around 27-30 up to "Air near player" value ( but campfire can give even more  or less, it's heavily depends  on player distance.). Other heat sources like BBQs and  fireplaces are usefull too.

Spoiler

20180713131217_1.thumb.jpg.b71711472fae23c9adc39f09c849e367.jpg

Spoiler

20180713165106_1.thumb.jpg.6972c77fbb401d7033361806fb1908aa.jpg

Spoiler

20180713165142_1.thumb.jpg.604f5a6f2d388288f665d39c2b661c63.jpg

4. About cars- there is really big difference between driving with open window and turned on AC/heater  in summer and winter. In summer the entire effect of AC is neutralized very quickly when I open the window (the air around me becomes the same temperature as world temperature). In winter I can drive  with open window and even broken windshield and effect of heater is persist (although it decreases) for a pretty long time, maybe 1-1.5 hours, during this time I  left Muldraugh  and arrived to March Ridge + checked dormitory really fast.  
Air temperature in my car decreased from 27 to 14.

Spoiler

20180713140043_1.thumb.jpg.cc9d1eaceec80eecc0fcde505bc74e2b.jpg

Hi All!

Here an full overview of current temperature effect on player as a whole including recent weatherbuild changes/additions.

The player body tries to maintain an optimal temperature of about 37 Celsius. The average favorable surrounding air temperature for the body is set at 22 Celsius.

The more the air around the player drops below 22 degrees the stronger the cold strength will become, and if above 22 degrees the heat strength will increase.

To make sure the cold and heat don’t affect the body temperature body stats must be kept optimal and correct clothing worn.

Cold.
To resist cold:

• ·         Make sure to have a high clothing value (currently sweater, pants, shoes is optimal).

• ·         Hunger and tiredness affect body cold resistance negatively.

• ·         Sickness will lower your body resistance to cold.

• ·         Make sure you don’t get wet from rain, it will lower your body and clothing resistance to cold.

• ·         When outside, strong wind can lower the cold resistance but strong clothing will be able to counter this effect.

• ·         A good body fitness will have slight positive effect on cold resistance, bad fitness a small negative effect.

• ·         Drunkenness negatively affects the cold resistance, furthermore the more drunk you get you may not notice the first and possibly also not the second hypothermia Moodle giving you no early warnings to the negative impact.

• ·         When endurance lowers the body cold resistance increases a bit.

When the outside gets colder the indoors of buildings will be a bit warmer and even more so during day. For the upstairs levels however this effect is halved.

Car heaters, fireplaces and campfires that can be used to warm up have been altered a bit.
Campfires can now be build inside houses without spreading fire if the following is true:

• ·         Tiles surrounding the campfire are not wood or carpet.

• ·         Tiles surrounding the campfire have no objects.

• ·         To be safe make sure there are no walls within a 2 tile radius of campfire.

When outside heat sources have their radius halved and the colder it gets the smaller their area with a favorable temperature becomes.

When severely undercooled note that car heaters and bbq’s and outside campfires help can staying warm with moderate cold, however when it’s really cold they’ll only warm up slowly. Heat sources inside buildings will be able to become much warmer and thus warm up at a higher rate.

Also note that with optimal clothing and body resistance you can successfully resist cold surrounding air temperatures down to about 0 Celsius. If the air around you drops below zero you will always start to lose temperature, albeit more slowly, so you must warm up from time to time. And since the night tends to become much colder sleeping near a fire is recommended as well as stacking up a good amount of logs to prepare for winter.

Heat.
To resist heat:

• ·         Light or no clothing will help combatting heat.

• ·         Thirst negatively impacts heat resistance quite strongly.

• ·         Sickness will lower your body resistance to heat.

• ·         A good body fitness will have slight positive effect on heat resistance, bad fitness a small negative effect.

• ·         When endurance lowers the heat resistance lowers a bit as well.

• ·         When outside, wind can increase heat resistance a bit but this effect is cancelled out by strong clothing.

• ·         Wetness due to rain increases heat resistance for both body and clothing.

• ·         Drunkenness does not lower your heat resistance, but may cause the first 2 levels of hyperthermia to go unnoticed/ignored due to intoxication.

When the outside gets hotter, the ground floor levels remain a little colder and can be used to cool off a bit. Higher levels tend to get hotter and remain fairly warm during the night.
Insides of a car can get quite hot during the day as well (unless the cooler is on).

When severely overheated drink water and stay inside on the ground floor with light or no clothing, or use a car air cooler to cool down more effectively.

Hypothermia and Hyperthermia

When level 3 is reached the body sporadically takes minor damage on random body parts.
When level 4 is reached the body receives constant and greater damage on body parts.
If the conditions are not improved you will slowly die.

When level 3 or 4 of either is hit when asleep you will wake up from it.

Other noteworthy mentions.

Umbrellas now reduce the rate at which you get wet, and you’ll be able to get up to 50% wet.

Nice! It's good to know how the whole systems have a direct effect on your well-being now! Few questions though:

On 19/07/2018 at 10:35 PM, turbotutone said:
  • ·         A good body fitness will have slight positive effect on cold resistance, bad fitness a small negative effect.
  • ·         A good body fitness will have slight positive effect on heat resistance, bad fitness a small negative effect.
  1. You mentioned fitness having a slight effect on temperature, what about the weight? Obese should tolerate cold way better than underweight and vice vera. Since the game starts in summer, food is plenty and characters often have a short lifespan, taking underweight may finally be worthwhile alternative to obese.
  2. Would it be possible to incorporate character temperature display in the character screen, below where the weight currently is? Eventually I'd love to see functional weights and thermometers for us, micromanagement freaks to see the detailed character status, but until it's there, it would be nice to have it available not only hidden on the debug menus, similar to character weight.
  3. I assume air conditioners inside houses are not functional yet? There are items like that in some houses, it would be nice if they had some effect and could be adjusted. Also are ovens taken into consideration or just open sources of fire (campfire, charcoal BBQ and propane BBQ)?
  4. And finally, barrel bonfires? It was suggested in the small bug important suggestions thread, but I think it'd fit this build well :P.
Edited by Faalagorn
clarified point 2 a bit