Stupid Things You've Done That've Gotten You Killed

PlasticandRage

I just got a pretty wonderful surprise. This hasn't killed me yet, but the smart money says it probably will in the near future. I just started a new game in West Point, and spawned right near a really good 2 story house. It's a little bit separated from the other nearest structures, has some trees in the vicinity, not too many zombies around, good storage, a front and back door, etc. So I decided to try to make a go of it. Things have been going pretty well, which is cool because it's the first place I've found in West Point with any potential at all to be safe for a longer run. So I'm about 5 days in, and I've looted all the houses in the immediate area, and I decide to cross through the small wooded area just south, through a yard, and cross the road to see what's over there. So I cross the road and come into a parking lot and the zombie numbers start getting thick fast, and I get a little closer and notice that I'm in the parking lot of a very large church. So I turn around and cross back over the road and decide to try to go north instead, and stay away from the church all together. So I cross that street and see the side of a brick building, and figure hey I'll check this out. Can't be any worse than finding a church nearby my safe house right? So I come up on it slow, working towards the corner of the building, and the more I can see of the street the more zombies I'm seeing, and as I get all the way around the corner the sign on the front of the building is revealed. It's the damn police station. I chose a safe house that's directly adjacent to the church and the police station. So wonderful.

Go to your Steam library page, right click on PZ, then go to properties. Select the betas tab, then select "Beta - Testing versions available to all" in the drop menu, and it should update on it's own. I'm pretty sure that's what I did. I had to ask someone too. If that doesn't do it for you I'm sure this thread explains it somewhere: http://theindiestone.com/forums/index.php/topic/2217-released-happy-halloween-steam-beta-17-0008-31st-october-2013/

If it was already selected than it may have already updated, or might update when you try to play it. Take my advice, and either back up your saves, or don't try to use any that you care about from older builds and just start new characters. I'm keeping my Desura saves and Steam saves separate because I keep reading about people losing their characters either to bugs, or bug related deaths. It's gotten a bit better each day I've played since it's been out, but it's still just a beta release, so it's to be expected.

No problem. If you start a new game you can choose to start there, where you'd normally have just had Mildraugh as the only choice. I haven't personally tried to travel between them yet, but from what I gather you get on the main highway in Mildraugh, this one: http://pzmap.crash-override.net/#0.5925417075766909,0.2093836293263792,76.59712300360563 and head north out of town, and just stay on the main road, and will hit it eventually. I'm not sure how far it is. I'd assume at least a few days on the road.

I just had a really good start. I found 2 axes, 3 hammers, a pistol, shotgun, saw, a bunch of nails, and plenty of food within the first two days. I decided to head for the logging company to see if I could fortify there and start stockpiling food. I settled in at the break room, put curtains on all the windows and went to sleep. The next day I decided to start barricading everything, so I went outside to get some wood. There was one zombie out there. I missed with the first swing of my axe and immediately got bitten and bled to death.

This game is awesome.

A shotgun I didn't hear, but the zombies did caused a horde of zombies to rush in my direction so I run into the little house East of Baldspot and Kate's house to wait it out until the horde passed by. What I didn't know was the horde decided instead of going around the house they were going to plow through it. I while I was distracted for a split second and looked away from the screen they broke through the windows and I got bit.

It just happened.

I was securing the bathroom in a two-story house. My two hands were holding my baseball bat firmly and ready to strike. I opened the door. Shit. Two showering zombies doing whatever they are doing. I left click and ...... closed the damned door behind me.

I had a safehouse set up in the Dr.'s office. Was pretty cozy, but I wanted to make a run to the large warehouse so I could get my hands on an ax. I misjudged how long the trip would be. It started to get dark, and travelling on the main road is always dicey. It was about 11pm by the time I made it there, and I was desperate to get inside and sleep. I was on the verge of passing out. I make it into the warehouse through the window. It's completely dark inside. I knew there was a zombie inside because I got spooked. However, because it was so dark, I couldn't properly judge when to swing. Got bit. Took the sucker out, but it was a lost cause. Woke up queasy, and knew it was over. 

Oh my... I have a few that are just embarrasing.

I'm just gonna name two for now.

The first one was when I head into the city apartment and began to head down the staircase with my hunting rifle ready (Weapon Mod) where I then fell down the staircase and died of farfall disease

Two, I tried to kill a survivor with a pen while he had a axe...

I've encountered like 7 of them in one go about 3-4 weeks in. I like to imagine it was an exodus from Ft. Knox, and the planes that flew over around the same time were enforcing a quarantine no-fly-zone and shot the bastards down before they escaped.

I like to imagine that Ft. Knox was being overrun, and countless survivors were being evacuated all at once as the fort became lost.

That's funny. I've been imagining a nearby airport being overrun, and as they lose the tower, all the pilots fight to take off at once with no one to direct them.

I love this game. I really do. It just keeps giving and giving.

Somebody needs to make a video of how to climb down sheet ropes. I can set them up and climb up them just fine, but I'm yet to manage climbing down them successfully. Every time I try I end up just jumping/falling out the damn window. I almost just lost a 27 day character to it. I walked into town to loot a specific building, and when I got there zombies were grouped pretty thick in the whole surrounding area. I snuck through a little opening to the doors, so when the alarm started going off when I went inside I knew I wouldn't be able to get back through the way I came, so I just shut the door behind me, looted what I came for, and snuck upstairs and shut that door behind me too. I just so happened to have a hammer and nails on me from my previous looting stop, and I found a couple sheets in the bedroom, and laid out a rope just as I started hearing the doors giving way downstairs. So I waited in the bedroom until I could hear a fair amount of moaning accompanying the banging on the upstairs door, and couldn't see zombies outside the window anymore, and tried for the rope, only to fall a story and get severely injured. Of course landing near a large group that had been in my blind spot from the upstairs window. I ended up getting away, but had I actually been able to climb the rope properly my escape would have gone a lot more smoothly.