Is this possible still or planned with the engine?

MadDan

Just reading through some of the old Mondoids and saw this

https://projectzomboid.com/blog/2013/10/apzdtisa-ii/

"Wilderness 2.0 – Proper trees, with canopies, river banks, hills and sloped terrain. As we add more survivalist features to the game we want to make the wilderness truly interesting and diverse. "

It does say not set in stone, and I feel like this is possibly what they were referring to.

Sloped terrain, hills, river banks? I just feel that seems impossible with the engine, especially if curved roads are difficult to get in the game. If this is possible and still planned, it would be pretty crazy but it also causes changes to every other game system. Balancing with zombies climbing, falling down hills? Parking cars on the hill? Cars not going up steep hills? New animations probably for climbing hills? Probably tons more work for drastic changes like this. I'm just wondering if TIS has over-estimated the work required for this, or am I underestimating?

It would be great to have such features in the game, however I believe that it would require a substantial rework of the engine. And we already know the issues and limitations of the current game.

I really hope to see something implemented in this direction, but I would be content to just have the chance to visit underground levels.

9 minutes ago, numbersixthecat said:

It would be great to have such features in the game, however I believe that it would require a substantial rework of the engine. And we already know the issues and limitations of the current game.

I really hope to see something implemented in this direction, but I would be content to just have the chance to visit underground levels.

I'd be happy with underground levels also.

It's definitely a huge task and I don't think they want to add extra work before the release of the full game's main features, so I'd assume it'd be post-release they would have a go at adding this, again if possible. I'd love to hear from a dev if it's still on the plate though.

I doubt it. They'd have to rework the map, and considering how long it's taken to get the spaces filled in outside of Westpoint and Muldraugh, I wouldn't put much stock in that. I'd assume they would have realized this limitation some time in the last five years, after that mondoid was posted, and that if they planned to create any elevation aside from a basement or underground level they probably wouldn't have continued to add as many locales and detail until the terrain mapping was finished.

That being said, who knows. Maybe they've created or are creating some kind of randomization tool to help with that, with the pieces of map already created capable of variable insertion. I'd be pretty surprised if that was the case, though.

Well, I believe, it's "possible" already, as the game already has level system for house flooring. 

But it is not a priority to them, I understand. They are already pressured so much with animationswhen and loads of other work, that I doubt it would be anytime soon, if it will be at all. 

Maybe, when Mash and other teammembers I don't know finish their work on map expansion.

2 hours ago, Keshash said:

Well, I believe, it's "possible" already, as the game already has level system for house flooring. 

Would that not be considered a bit different from making hills though? The game only has flat levels, so I think you're correct in terms of height not being an issue but actual sloped land is not seen anywhere in the game at the moment.

Ah well, it's not as if they were a promised milestone at least. If there's a limit, that's it. They've pulled off far more than I thought possible even now. 

I'll settle for curved roads happily though.

• 2 weeks later...

Technically a pretty basic slopes/hills would be possible, in a similar fashion to stairs. But the looks might leave something to desire, but it's all open for modders for sure, as we already had vehicles and animals made from items :D 

Archived