replacement Axe not losing condition

Akilax

Hello everyone

I noticed a rather minor bug a few days ago and tested it a few times to see if it was actually happening the way it seemed to. It does so far without exception.

When I chop down a tree with a Raw Axe, once it breaks, the game automatically switches out the broken Axe for a fresh alternative, if I have one in my inventory. This is working as intended, I think.

The bug is, that once my first Axe breaks, the second one that gets swapped into the primary & secondary weapon slots, does never get any condition loss. The game seems to think, that it is still the first Axe doing the work and I have not once seen any degradation on the second Axe for the ongoing work. Once the tree is cut down and I move on to the next it works again as intended, but it never does after the second Axe gets switched to active during a chopping task.

This can be exploited, by aborting a tree cutting job once the Raw Axe gets to the last increment on the condition bar and moving to a fresh tree. This will take longer to chop than the one we were already cutting down. By starting with a fresh tree we risk the Axe breaking rather early in the process, but because of the bug that means we gain more "ephemeral" condition on the second Axe.

I did not test if this also happens with other tools and weapons, only with Raw Axes, and I am aware I may just have been lucky and never gotten a weapon degradation roll passed by the RNG, but this seems highly unlikely because I tested it roughly 20 times with a maintenance skill of 0 (level 1 still waiting to be activated with the "+") and Raw Axes usually take more than one condition loss when chopping a fresh tree under these conditions.

This is certainly not an urgent issue that needs to be addressed quickly, but I still wanted to mention it here in case there is no awareness for it and it may be considered relevant.

Thanks for reading.

I think I noticed the same when I played before vehicle test existed over a year ago when I was cutting a lot of tree, which kind of confirms it's a long standing bug. I also didn't tested that with other tools and good catch about the exploit!

My character always have Lumberjack occupation (and Axe Man trait), and I play on Linux.