About car Hoods.

Connll

So, I have been driving around, always taking care to avoid collisions with zombies.

But then, after getting and restoring about 3 cars, I decided "fuck this shit", and decided to simply ram every single rotten motherfucker loitering my side of the road.

My experience so far (on a standart car) is that, while the Hood breaks depressingly easy on collisions with zombies, said collision damage doesn´t seem to transfer to the engine or any other part.

So, whats the point of the car hood them? It breaks easily, and doesn´t seem to protect the car in any meaningful way. It can´t be repaired or reinforced., too

Why SHOULD´NT I simply speed up and reduce every single zed to a smear the the road?

Edit: As a suggestion for Indiestone, Can´t we have the zombie corpses make that SPLAT sound that they do when killed, when you run over then with your car? Preferably splattering blood all over the place like when they´re hit?

hmm.... just tried this,

So you need :

- wrench

- (intermediate) recipe from a magazine ?

- (recommended) mechanic skill 2/3

Then you can uninstall / replace hood... thing is, color will always match.... so you can't create a mis-matched-sh!t-mobile

Main Purpose of car hoods IRL is to keep cats out of the engine bay...

I haven't noticed any penalty for not having a hood. So I think you're right about that.

In reality that would probably have a few negative side effects those. Most of which could probably be represented in-game.

1. Hoods probably play a role shock absorption since it adds more material that has to be crumpled in the event of frontal collision, which gives the vehicles a little more time in which to decelerate.  So perhaps if you have no hood, damage to the player and engine should be slightly increased.

2. Obviously increased wear on the parts from exposure to the elements.

3. Zombies/debris getting caught up in it.

4. Probably reduced fuel efficiency. How much I have no idea, but not having a smooth surface for air to flow over means the vehicle is definitely going to be less aerodynamic. 

5. Perhaps at high speeds the vehicle would drive a little different, maybe losing stability, since air would be rushing through the exposed engine compartment instead of around it.

6. Most notably, the vehicle should make more noise and attract more zeds.

5 hours ago, BoogieMan said:

I haven't noticed any penalty for not having a hood. So I think you're right about that.

In reality that would probably have a few negative side effects those. Most of which could probably be represented in-game.

1. Hoods probably play a role shock absorption since it adds more material that has to be crumpled in the event of frontal collision, which gives the vehicles a little more time in which to decelerate.  So perhaps if you have no hood, damage to the player and engine should be slightly increased.

2. Obviously increased wear on the parts from exposure to the elements.

3. Zombies/debris getting caught up in it.

4. Probably reduced fuel efficiency. How much I have no idea, but not having a smooth surface for air to flow over means the vehicle is definitely going to be less aerodynamic. 

5. Perhaps at high speeds the vehicle would drive a little different, maybe losing stability, since air would be rushing through the exposed engine compartment instead of around it.

6. Most notably, the vehicle should make more noise and attract more zeds.

Agreed on everything but 6. Car hoods are supposed to NOT be sound-proof. After all, if the engine is experiencing some trouble, anything preveting the driver form hearing it could spell disaster.

But anyway. In the game AS IT STANDS NOW, ramming zombies willy-nilly only damages the Hood and nothing else, so there is no point in bothering with one at the moment.

Is there any plans to change this in the near future?

Intended or not, the simple fact that it is a physical barrier means it can't not impede sound transmission over a distance without violating the laws of physics.  Even just idling a car will make more noise with the hood up than down. 

Archived