My zoom does not work.

joao

On 6/13/2018 at 7:21 AM, joao said:

Meu zoom não funciona. Alguém sabe como resolver isso?

I too have this issue from time to time, I'm not sure why, try closing the game and re-opening it. That is how I 'fix' this.

On 6/17/2018 at 11:09 PM, Faalagorn said:

Make sure you aren't launching the game in compatibility mode (-safemode switch) and that the zoom option is indeed turned on in options.

When my zoom doesn't work, I found that opening options and checking the zoom settings would then allow me to zoom. but the edges beyond the initial zoom do not render correctly.

I will show a screenshot next time this happens but for now I've scribbled on a screenshot to show the areas that fail to appear correctly.

bug1.png

• 4 weeks later...

I have noticed when I launch from steam or steams desktop shortcut, then 9/10 times my zoom is bugged.
However, if I launch game using "32bat" from the games directory, my zoom works fine.  (I'm on a 32-bit system ofcourse hehe)

2 hours ago, MrCouper said:

However, if I launch game using "32bat" from the games directory, my zoom works fine.  (I'm on a 32-bit system ofcourse hehe)

That might be it, it's getting rarer to spot 32-bit systems in the wild, so the testing is limited, although the game ships and supports the 32-bit binaries, so if the bug is related to this it should get fixed.

I doubt you can check that in 64-bit system to verify this is the case?

9 minutes ago, Faalagorn said:

That might be it, it's getting rarer to spot 32-bit systems in the wild, so the testing is limited, although the game ships and supports the 32-bit binaries, so if the bug is related to this it should get fixed.

I doubt you can check that in 64-bit system to verify this is the case?

I haven't attempted to and i do naturally doubt so as I my notebook isn't a beast at all lol specs in spoiler:

Spoiler

PCSPEC.thumb.png.e94f5461cef006e331134fc67980a82c.png

I mean, if it had 4gb ram, I would try it.  But it makes me wonder; is steam launching it using 64bit? 
I am curious of the computer specs from OP, to see if there is any relation.

12 minutes ago, MrCouper said:

I haven't attempted to and i do naturally doubt so as I my notebook isn't a beast at all lol specs in spoiler:

Reveal hidden contents

PCSPEC.thumb.png.e94f5461cef006e331134fc67980a82c.png

I mean, if it had 4gb ram, I would try it.  But it makes me wonder; is steam launching it using 64bit? 
I am curious of the computer specs from OP, to see if there is any relation.

Steam itself is 32-bit (even on macOS and Linux where 32-bit apps are legacy), but the game correctly launch 64-bit on supported systems. On 64-bit Windows you should have the option to explicitly choose whether you want to run 32 Bit or 64 Bit: see https://steamdb.info/app/108600/config/ 64-bit .exe wouldn't even start on 32-bit system, so I assume it's not trying to launch 64-bit on 32-bit system.

It's technically possible to install 64-bit system on these Atom-based tablets/notebooks (as even Windows says, it's a x64-based processor), though it requires tinkering and 64-bit Windows would dwarf it anyway, assuming it'll install due to 32-bit UEFI on them (it's a bit of advanced topic, but basically it requires workaround to even install anything 64-bit based, even if it's technically possible), which is the reason they come preinstalled with 32-bit OS (the most limiting factor being RAM and system disk space), plus as you mentioned Windows apps only slowly begin transitioning to 64-bit anyway (the main benefit of 64-bit is the ability to address more ram which you don't have anyway and security, which got attention after meltdown/spectre). I managed to install 64-bit Linux on similar Atom Z3735G tablet  with even 1GB RAM, but it required tweaks and Linux is totally a different manner where you can tweak the ram and disk usage freely to minimum, though I have to admit I didn't try running Zomboid on it yet (guess I should try, why not? :D).

TL;DR: Even if it may be the root of the problem, installing 64-bit Windows could be problematic and generally not worth it, as you said, so hopefully someone can look into it.

I doubt you have another machine with a 64-bit OS though? Or another 32-bit system to test it's nothing on your side? You could also try running some Linux live USB (this tool should make them easy to make, Ubuntu 18.04 LTS or derivatives, are a good bet for 64-bit Linux, although due to those UEFI quirks, I'm not sure it'll start flawlessly out of box – Ubuntu should, but I didn't test it, as I was manually installing Arch), as they are officially supported by Steam, for 32-bit Linux there's still Lubuntu although 32-bit Linuxes become rarity now. Alternatively there's always SteamOS and Debian which both SteamOS and Ubuntu are based at), you'd have to check how to boot USB with your atom laptop's bios, but it shouldn't be limited, as that's how I installed Linux in the first place :).

Although I imagine that's a lot to ask just to test one simple thing, so it's up to you if it's worth trying and troubleshooting or just deal with it until it's hopefully fixed for you!

On 2018-06-28 at 5:29 AM, MrCouper said:

So i encountered the 'stuck zoom' bug again.
Opened options>accept settings>zoom 'fixed'>this occurs. :D

bug3.thumb.png.cd2a3ef930cd6dab4982ca9c7772cef0.png

Some 32-bit drivers just seem to handle that terribly. Never found out why.

Normally I'd suggest updating the graphics driver, but the version is unlisted on Intel Arc and I can only find 64-bit drivers on Intel's support site that, while are four the x5, doesn't list that specific one.

1 hour ago, Faalagorn said:

64-bit .exe wouldn't even start on 32-bit system, so I assume it's not trying to launch 64-bit on 32-bit system.

Sometimes launching via steam, the cmd window opens and closes instantly, related not sure.
I have no issues with the game manually running from the 32BAT. Except Maps don't show anything lol but I assume that is due to my lack of ram.

As for everything else, naw, no other devices I could test around with.  If I had something a little bit beefier I'd give it a go, but yeah, no problems with .32bat so I'll just launch that way lol tbh never really been a fan of steam.  Only reason I bought via steam was for the modding side things as it makes life alot easier :D PZ was also my first Steam purchase! :D 

20 minutes ago, EnigmaGrey said:

Some 32-bit drivers just seem to handle that terribly. Never found out why.

Normally I'd suggest updating the graphics driver, but the version is unlisted on Intel Arc and I can only find 64-bit drivers on Intel's support site that, while are four the x5, doesn't list that specific one.

Thanks for the feed back Enigma, I've just assumed it's probably due to low specs and probably something to do with loading. idk.
I have no problems via 32BAT and steam still integrates properly so it's no hassle really.

I think Intel maintains more-or-less unified architecture for their drivers, on Linux even the ancient GMA use the same drivers, so I'd give the most recent ones a shot, even if the device is not listed – at worst case they won't install or the old ones will have to be reinstalled, I think this is the most recent one: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27892/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-10?product=80939

3 minutes ago, Faalagorn said:

Might be it, you can always see the log output in console.txt in %USERPROFILE%\Zomboid\ (copy this path to file explorer).

Next time it occurs, I will do so :)

I'm checking driver updates etc atm, note the image below is as it is now before updates. lol due to my computers uh i mean notebooks small 32gb HDD which has only 3.xGB left windows is always having a cry about being unable to install updates.

Spoiler

PCgraphicsinfo.thumb.png.1baacf94560b0a63c2bb0960b089fc2e.png

2 minutes ago, MrCouper said:

Next time it occurs, I will do so :)

I'm checking driver updates etc atm, note the image below is as it is now before updates. lol due to my computers uh i mean notebooks small 32gb HDD which has only 3.xGB left windows is always having a cry about being unable to install updates.

Hide contents

PCgraphicsinfo.thumb.png.1baacf94560b0a63c2bb0960b089fc2e.png

The one I posted is 24.20.100.6194, yours being 20.19.15.4474, so assuming it installs it could include some bug fixes.

Back in my old days when I used a laptop with nvidia graphics and Windows, I had similar situation with Nvidia graphics not officially supporting laptop cards, but drivers with modified .ini files allowed to run the more recent driver versions, even if not supported officially – might be similar story with Intel, as they don't test the new drivers on older hardware even if it works just fine.

This video is also useful for dealing with integrated intel drivers: