Change Maintenance Skills

Akilax

Hello everyone

My suggestion is rather simple in principle: I think the maintenance skill is not very good the way it works now and I think the game would benefit, if it were changed slightly.

On 6/5/2018 at 10:00 AM, RobertJohnson said:

Is it used, basically everytime you do a hit we do a Random of this number + your maintenance skill*2 (so if you're level 5 in blade maintenance, you have a Rand.next(20+10)==0 then lower condition by 1

Considering this formula, it becomes apparent that very sturdy weapons benefit relatively less from good maintenance than highly fragile ones. I believe this makes little sense as it is neither realistic nor improving how fun the gameplay is.

Let us consider an example:

An Axe has a ConditionLowerChanceOneIn value of 30. A Nailed Baseball Bat (NBB) has a value of 15. A Pencil has 1. If we compare the effect of great maintenance (a skill level in maintenance of 10) in game with bad/no maintenance (skill level 0), we see the following:

Axe(0): 1/30 -> An Axe with 0 maintenance takes condition loss about 1/30 of the time it is used.

Axe(10): 1/50 -> With a skill level of 10 in maintenance, the chance of condition loss is reduced to 1/50 (-40% to Axe(0))

For a NBB we have NBB(0): 1/10 to NBB(10): 1/30, which is -67% chance.

For a Pencil we have Pencil(0): 1/1 to Pencil(10): 1/21, which is -95%.

Now either I am interpreting/applying the formula given wrongly, or this seems a bit off.

I am sure, that NBBs can benefit from good maintenance. But I am also certain that their benefit of maintenance will relatively speaking be nowhere near that of an Axe and that a Pencil is simply too weak for combat and takes irreparable structural damage with every blow. It's still a game though and I understand that an Axe should not become an indestructible weapon because players should still be confronted with the problem of scarcity and scavenging.

Here is my suggestion for a new formula:

Rand.next(ConditionLowerChanceOneIn^(1+Maintenance/20))

What would it lead to? Well:

Axe(0): 1/30 stays the same, while Axe(10): 1/164 benefits a lot more (-82% to Axe(0)).

NBB(0): 1/10 --- NBB(10): 1/32 -> (-68%)

Pencil(0): 1/1 --- Pencil(10): 1/1 -> (+/- 0%)

I do not believe that my suggestion is perfect, but I think it would improve the current system.

The maintenance skill would become more worthwhile and it would function in a more realistic way, because all the improvised weapons that aren't really meant for combat would remain just that, instead of becoming viable tools for combat (do remember that a Butter Knife can instakill a zombie if the attack is timed right and that with some training and tactics, the timing is not hard to get right).

Even if my suggestion should be found not good enough I do hope that a change in the system will be considered and I would be interested to hear about others opinion on the topic.

Of course this entire suggestion is based on my assumption that I understood the formula presented by RobertJohnson correctly and that this system is still being used.

Thank you for reading my suggestion.