Horn queue can make you stuck

MadDan

If you spam pressing the horn, your character gets stuck in the action queue until the number of times you clicked catches up, so if you pressed "e" to exit in the middle of the queue, your character will get out at the end of the action queue, with no way to cancel. At least as far as I can see, doing another action didn't cancel it and I basically couldn't do anything else.

Also: I haven't been on the forum in a while, but will the horn sound be updated? It cuts out and can get very annoying, it doesn't seem like it loops correctly.

Latest stable build: 39

1 hour ago, MadDan2013 said:

If you spam pressing the horn, your character gets stuck in the action queue until the number of times you clicked catches up, so if you pressed "e" to exit in the middle of the queue, your character will get out at the end of the action queue, with no way to cancel. At least as far as I can see, doing another action didn't cancel it and I basically couldn't do anything else.

Also: I haven't been on the forum in a while, but will the horn sound be updated? It cuts out and can get very annoying, it doesn't seem like it loops correctly.

Latest stable build: 39

Esc. cancels the action. Also, you can use Q to sound the horn. That way it doesn't queue up.

18 hours ago, Pandorea said:

Esc. cancels the action. Also, you can use Q to sound the horn. That way it doesn't queue up.

Ah okay, thanks. I think that's new, haven't used ESC before to cancel anything. I need to check that out to see if it cancels but it should do it now.

Do you know if they're going to re-do the horn sound?

31 minutes ago, Pandorea said:

What do you mean, MadDan2013? New sound? New controls?..

I mean the sound? As in how it gets chopped off when it's playing the effect. Like what I mentioned in the first post: "but will the horn sound be updated? It cuts out and can get very annoying, it doesn't seem like it loops correctly." Maybe you mightn't know if they'll add it which is fine, but I'm just curious because the sound effect is a bit glitchy at the moment. At least when you don't use Q and use the menu.

I just checked and can confirm that pressing the horn button from circular menu indeed queues up horn as an action. While low priority and esc cancels it indeed, it is really confusing with a deaf character, as there's no progress bar and you can't hear the horn.

On 12/06/2018 at 6:13 PM, MadDan2013 said:

I mean the sound? As in how it gets chopped off when it's playing the effect. Like what I mentioned in the first post: "but will the horn sound be updated? It cuts out and can get very annoying, it doesn't seem like it loops correctly." Maybe you mightn't know if they'll add it which is fine, but I'm just curious because the sound effect is a bit glitchy at the moment. At least when you don't use Q and use the menu.

I do not think it gets "chopped off", it just stops once you stop pressing Q. In my experience that's how it works in real life. 

Anyhow, the SFX have an update planned for them, so...

21 hours ago, Faalagorn said:

I just checked and can confirm that pressing the horn button from circular menu indeed queues up horn as an action. While low priority and esc cancels it indeed, it is really confusing with a deaf character, as there's no progress bar and you can't hear the horn.

I do not see the problem here: use Q and you know the sound stops once you stop pressing it; or use Esc to cancel the the action, when in doubt.

1 hour ago, Pandorea said:

I do not think it gets "chopped off", it just stops once you stop pressing Q. In my experience that's how it works in real life. 

It does not stop, it's looped incorrectly. But if there's an SFX update planned, then that should solve the problem. Could you link where they said there was one planned if you don't mind?

This is what it sounds like in PZ when held:

This is what held car horns sounds like:

2 hours ago, Pandorea said:

I do not see the problem here: use Q and you know the sound stops once you stop pressing it; or use Esc to cancel the the action, when in doubt.

Yes, it only happens when you actually press the icon as OP noted, so it's a really minor issue, but interesting nowadays (especially when I tested that on a deaf character, since you genuinely have no idea why you are stuck :P – but guess I'd instinctively click esc couple of times in that case anyway).