Driver proffesion and skill.

myhappines

Hi all. I thought that driver proffesion could be a good adittion to the game and make it little harder.  First, about driving skill. While driving a vehicle you gathering experience,  the more experience you have,  of it depends driving style, for example faster braking, acceleration, faster engine start, and of cource driving on different surfaces, including off-road, asphalt, and snow and ice, if the last one is planned. Also turnig, if driving skill is low it requies more space and taking more time, and if you have advanced driving skill, it should be faster.  This can also have an impact on gear switching, and engine stalls. Shortly to say, just like in real life,  more you drive you feel more confident on the road. And the last one,  unexperinenced drivers can feal panic when driving at high speed  in contrast to the more experienced persons. 

Good stuff !!!

I also hope driving will become a larger part of the game than it is...  I'd love to see some off-road tire types that affect handling and speed on the bumpy stuff... ala' All-Terrain & Mud-Terrain

Maybe higher driving skill gained off-roading can nominally reduce wear/damage incurred driving off road...

I think I'd prefer vehicle handling and operation to rely on vehicle parts and condition as opposed to skill. The best driver in the world isn't going to make an ignition start any faster than anyone else or give the tires a better turn radius, for some examples.

Plus, it's enough that we, as players, need to learn how these vehicles handle. The more we use vehicles, the more familiar we become with them. I don't feel that we need another layer added to this.

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/9/2018 at 9:52 PM, Kurogo said:

I think I'd prefer vehicle handling and operation to rely on vehicle parts and condition as opposed to skill. The best driver in the world isn't going to make an ignition start any faster than anyone else or give the tires a better turn radius, for some examples.

Plus, it's enough that we, as players, need to learn how these vehicles handle. The more we use vehicles, the more familiar we become with them. I don't feel that we need another layer added to this.

On 6/11/2018 at 1:14 PM, TheWraithPlayer said:

While that is true that drivers get better as they drive and thus perform better, vehicles  have limitations. For example, an SS Camaro would turn and react a lot faster and better than a U-Haul cube van.

Well yes, it should be a combination system. But driving really is a skill, and there is a substantial difference between a professional and an amateur.

I mean, sure I'm a decent driver, but I'm not going to be able to compete in the Indy 500 no matter how good my ride is

23 minutes ago, grammarsalad said:

Well yes, it should be a combination system. But driving really is a skill, and there is a substantial difference between a professional and an amateur.

I mean, sure I'm a decent driver, but I'm not going to be able to compete in the Indy 500 no matter how good my ride is

In the most likely case, I would compare the scenarios this game provides to off-road driving rather than the Indy 500. There is a difference in ability between someone that knows how to handle their vehicle over rocks/mud/etc than someone who doesn't, and that's the best analogy I can think of that would compare to driving over zombies, on or off actual roads.

But the skill that that entails requires finer control over the vehicles than the game provides. Losing traction would be a nice mechanic, but driving slower should be the appropriate recourse to overcoming that, or simply better tires for driving off road.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/06/2018 at 2:52 AM, Kurogo said:

I agree. We already have the Mechanics skill, which deals with how well you know the vehicles, which should translate to knowing how they handle etc.

I do think however that better equipment should have a more noticeable effect on handling. At the moment, I'm not seeing much difference, for example when you pump up the tires or add better suspension or brakes.