car battereis

You'd need tools, cables, and an inverter to change the current in the battery from DC to AC otherwise it would be useless for powering appliances and power tools. However I am not sure how long they would last pumping out at 110 volts through the inverter since when in your car it's only operating at 12 volts. I imagine they could power some tools and lights for a decent period of time but more energy hungry appliances like electric ovens would probably use the charge pretty quickly. Just think, leaving your headlights on overnight can drain your battery.

I think it would be better to allow us to scavenge rare solar power equipment and use car battery banks as power storage which you could then plug into a house. Although I don't know how likely that would be in the 90s..

In either scenario though, if the house doesn't have a generator input plug (very few do, they are expensive and more commonly used in businesses like grocery stores that have to keep things cold in case of power outage) you'd have to splice together two male ends of a quality power cable (so you could plug one in into power generator and the other into an outlet) and feed the power directly into the home's power system which is very dangerous. Even more so if you don't know exactly what you are doing. That's if you wanted the power generator to work like the current generators in game do and just power the whole house. Realistically you could only power a few devices that you could plug in to the generator through power cables and so long as you don't exceed the generator's capacity.

55 minutes ago, Connll said:

Talking about car batteries, can you use regular cells to charge them up?

If by regular cells than you mean other conventional batteries, then I'd imagine a skilled electrician could find a way to do it if they could find certain supplies and enough batteries. I've heard of people rigging laptop chargers to be able to charge a car battery.

You can charge a car battery in game by leaving a car running for awhile. Just for much longer than would make sense in reality however. To length battery life when you aren't in danger of alerting more zombies it's best to leave a car running if you'll only be out of it a short while. Provided you're okay with losing a bit of gas idling to charge the battery anyway.

I remember years ago when the power went out in our area, my dad took the battery from the car and managed to connect one simple light bulb.

I asked him if he could power the TV and my Playstation 1... hehe

But having car batteries to power something like a light bulb would be nice.

From this thread : https://theindiestone.com/forums/index.php?/topic/23934-car-batteries/

On ‎2018‎-‎06‎-‎08 at 10:14 AM, MyTJ said:

Not sure it's doable in practice due to the diffrence between alternative current (what kitchen appliance use) and direct current (what batteries provide).

In theory there are inverters that can achieve that, but I figure it comes at a loss of efficacity.

Even without factoring the loss of efficacity, the 12V of the battery would be a limiting factor for appliances that use 110V (all of them) or 220V (oven). This would mean that to reach the power output of those appliances (in Watts or Kilowatts), you'd need 9.17 or 18.33 time the amps, increasing the risk of overheating, shorts and just generaly draining your batteries more quickly.

Solar panels would be EXTREMELY rare in Kentucky in the 90s.  As of 2016 the penetration of the power market in Kentucky is...wait for it!....zero percent.

That, of course, doesn't mean that there are absolutely no solar panels in the state; it does, however, mean that they would be EXTREMELY rare even today, and practically nonexistent in the 90s.

As far as batteries go - my wife used to live in a remote home that had a huge battery array that powered the home.  It was, of course, charged by solar panels; however to the point of this thread they had several dozen batteries and they could power the home for essentially one evening, and at that they had to be careful not to try and run everything all at once.

You might be able to use a car battery or two to power one device for a short period of time (assuming you could address the conversion issues) but it would likely be impractical given how quickly the batteries would deplete.

Archived