Having issues with vehicles (360 Controller + MacOS)

Kevlar_29

Question

I'm sure most of you probably decided to give up once you read the title, MacOS and 360 controller? Yeah. I know. But I'm having an issue with the latest build. I posted this in the Discord already, but hopefully someone on here might know of the issue or have an idea how to sort it. 

So the last few days have been the first time I've loaded up PZ in a good 3 years, and I'm absolutely loving the game and how much it's come on.

My issue is not really a massively gamebreaking but yeah, handy if possible to sort.

When I hop in a vehicle that I either have the key for or there's a key in it, it automatically starts up and driving and moving forward, and I can brake (using the B button, dedicated brake button!) to slow down so that's fine.  The problem is, I can't reverse. So if I crash, or more often than not, it automatically drives forward into a building, the only option I currently have is to exit to menu and load back up in keyboard and mouse, reverse the car and exit and launch the game in controller mode again! So, bit of a pain!

Anyone any ideas?

2 answers to this question

On 6/8/2018 at 5:18 AM, Vaileasys said:

Firstly, by "automatically" are you saying that the vehicle turns on and accelerates without you pressing anything, i.e. not pressing "Right-Trigger"? Because that's not suppose to happen.

Yeah, that is actually what's happening. Now having looked into a bit further and having a jig around with the joypad config file a little more I think I figured out what the issue actually is. (I also figured out how to reverse though, so read on to find out why!)

I'm not sure whether it's to do with the driver or the controller I'm using, but in my situation, the 360 controller is more similar to an Xbox One controller as LT and RT are treated as separate axes (LT: Axis 4 and RT: Axis 5) as opposed to a single axis like PZ expects. So, currently, I have my config file set as:

// Triggers= is the axis number of both the left and right triggers.
Triggers=5
TriggersFlipped=false

Forewarning; I've re-written this next part twice three four times, and have been trying to figure it out for the last 35 minutes how to say it because it's confusing to me so bear with me on it. 

So, in normal situations, PZ will read the single axis shared by RT and LT,  when both triggers are released or both are fully pressed, it will have a value of 0. When RT is entirely pressed, it will have a value of -1, and when LT is entirely pressed, it will have a value of +1. Because my triggers are on separate axes, and I can only set the triggers to one axis number (per the config file), and I have it set to axis 5 (=RT) it's only reading the output value of RT.

Now, here's the fun part. Things are a bit flipped for me. So to PZ, it thinks that when RT is released that there is a value of -1, and as such, thinks that RT is being fully pressed, which is why the car drives forward automatically. However, when RT is actually fully pressed, it passes from -1, through 0 and then to read a value of 1, and thinks that LT is being fully pressed and reverses! 

*ignore*(The reason why I never noticed this outside of cars (I think) is because when I press RT to push / attack, it starts at a value of -1, which it thinks is RT fully pressed (when it's actually RT entirely released irl) and then quickly to a value of 1, which it thinks is LT (which does nothing on foot) fully pressed (when RT is fully pressed irl) and then back to -1 after when I release the trigger, and again thinks RT is fully pressed and then actually attacks, which happens fairly quickly from -1 to 0 to 1 and quickly back to 0 to -1 OR RT to nothing to LT and then quickly back to pressing RT)*ignore* edit: I was wrong on a couple of things here, basically it either switches back and forward between push and attack or it attacks or just pushes depending on how quickly or slowly I press the button. Same principle as what I said really though.

So, I'm in a slightly better position in that I can reverse and technically drive with automatically going forward. But, it's still a weird one.

My head hurts. 

Quick Answer: Left-trigger is to brake and reverse.

Firstly, by "automatically" are you saying that the vehicle turns on and accelerates without you pressing anything, i.e. not pressing "Right-Trigger"? Because that's not suppose to happen.

I just tested this on Windows IWBUMS 39.67.2 and I had none of the issues you mentioned. "B" is displayed on screen as the brake, however it's the hand-brake (parking brake, emergency brake) rather than the normal pedal brake (which are the keyboard equivalents of "SPACEBAR" and "S", respectively). To reverse you have to press the "Left-Trigger". So maybe you got confused by that?

If you're still having issues, I'd say it's probably a Mac issue.

By the way, changes to the gamepad/controller are planned for build 40. So maybe that'll fix any confusions with the current controller setup.

Archived