(Poll) Should there be new skills added to the core game?

MyTJ

(Poll) Should there be new skills added to the core game?  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Should there be new skills added to the core game?

• Yes
    • No

With the discussion surrounding another skill related thread, I thought it'd be a good idea to ask this simple question to get a feeling of the community's opinion.

If you answer yes, feel free to express which skills you think should be added and if such skills should be freely available or if they should require extra steps because they are rarer and more exotics. If it's the later, feel free to express which steps should be taken to gain access.

Also, do you think these should be a low or high priority after the animations and NPCs.

Edit : In this post, I won't quote or comment people's posts. I might like a few posts here or there... or if I feel a topic need more in-depth coverage I might privately suggest (once) a new more in-depth. My restriction on commenting posts also include reaction to my answer, if any.

Edited by MyTJ

My 2 cents, before adding more skills they should rework/finish the ones that are already in the game, trapping, fishing, farming, metalworking, etc, most of them feel a bit underwhelming after a while.

Mods like "le gourmet evolution plus" by Snake kinda adds so much content in this skills without breaking the gameplay that i would love the game to have more of this instead of new skills even if new skills would be cool.

I beleive that in time, there should be a larger variety of skills. This is not a high priority and meanwhile ingenious modders can serve as inspiration for a final product :)

Idealy, I think there should be 6 level of skills complexity. I won't detail for now but might edit later to answer questions, if any. For now I'll just give examples to show the split between categories.

1 - Naturaly occuring skills

Everyone can grab a club and wack someone on the head, cavemen have been doing this thousands of years ago (prior to, but relatively speaking around the same time they came up with renewable fire and the wheel). Everyone can attach a stone splinter to a handle, be it a spear or a knife (yes, I'm talking : crude crafting as a new skill that give slightly stronger tools!). The examples could go on but this includes most basic physical skills (stealth, etc.) as well as very obvious and ages-long ones.

2 - Somewhat intuitive skills

Hunting, fishing, trapping : everyone that takes a little time studying potential prey will fairly quickly learn it's habits and be able to throw, stones, stab it or trap it (hunting in a broad sense is also a very very old and deep rooted skill). Gathering (foraging) is also a very old skill that would need to be re-explored in conjunction with herborist trait (it's ok it gives some early advantage, but you could in theory eat small doses of everything but the most potent poisonous berry/mushroom on earth and learn from your body's reaction what's good and what's not... and to what degree).

Another category of less natural skills, yet strongly tied to intuition is a variety of martial arts and advanced weapon effectiveness. Using advanced ranged weapons fall in this category as well as a variety of defensive/offensive techniques with weapons (what's currently accuracy and guard, except it should be split into two for basic weapons and be cumulative : example - at the basic level you know enough to keep a foe at spear's length... at an advance level you use a secondary object including a secondary bag as a shield and stab from cover).

Other more advanced physical skills like gymnastics and the like could be in here as well.

The general carpentry, basic metalworking (welding) and car repair (changing a tire, unbolting a seat to put a new one, etc) also fall in this category.

3 - Less obvious skills, yet not beyond intuition

Farming, that came a bit later then hunting and gathering did it ;) You can plant things, see how they react and act on sort of intuition... yet in this case prior training or knowledge will go a longer way.

Advanced carpentry (a wooden bridge or structural work, for example), advanced metalworking (basic smithing), basic chemistry (acid + base reaction, for example).

In the same category would be molding concrete for structural work, smaller stuff like doing a brick or a pot could fall in the previous category.

4 - Beyond intuition for most people, the rare stuff

Expert metalworking (smelting), advanced chemistry (making gunpowder, advanced acid solutions).

5 - Beyond intuition nearly for all, the rarest stuff

Master metalworking (crafting precise weapon components such as gun parts or bullets), expert chemistry (explosives, expert acid solutions).

6 - Beyond nearly all, the nearly impossible stuff

Well, pretty much the rest including nuclear physics and the like.

An epilogue, not to be confused with prior categories

All of these would need practice, but the later level would also need (a) a relevant background or (b) reading materials and an inclination to learn with some experimentation or (c) reading materials and a ton of experimentation. In all cases, the skills beyond level 3 would be impossible without (a) a relevant background or (b) reading materials.

You'll also notice that I discuss the skills beyond 3 less, that's because they are by defenition skills that require more in-depth knowledge then what's been obvious for ages.

Edited by MyTJ

It really depends...We have a lot of skills now. A new skill should only be added for something that absolutely doesn't fit under the other skills.

If there's a new feature added that fits under an existing skill, it should be put there.

Not commenting on any post (see my self made rule in the first post), but as I see it so far it's somewhat divided for various reasons. Can't wait to read more stuff or see more votes to get a clearer feel of this topic :)