Snow

killwill

Those are good points Leo , but you could make the exact same points about adding snow to a tropical forest on the equator or a desert. It will always feel wrong to me, but it might well add enough to the game to be worth it.

But muldraugh isn't anywhere near tropical forest :/

There are many things that would and could seem wrong for the average joe when he plays the game. For example, not many people know that desert's temperature at night drops far below 0 and it's generally really freaking cold in there, colder than many countries could get, despite them known for their hottest weather under the sun.

So, it would seem normal for the average joe to see winter in the game when playing it, and only when he reads it somewhere/actually researches it will he know that muldraugh doesn't have that amount of snow in it at winter.

Except other than Antarctica, no deserts get snow. Even Antarctica doesn't really, it gets ice blown up by the wind. But we're not talking about COLD here, we're talking about SNOW. And the fact of the matter is, tropical forest or not Muldraugh averages 6 inches of snow a year, which even if it fell all at once would have negligible impact on the player.

You're ignoring the points I'm making in favor of nitpicking. Most American's will know that Kentucky isn't covered in snow in the winter. Likely most Canadians, South Americans, and anyone who has a basic understand of the Earth's climate and where Kentucky is.

So as I said before, you can argue that it would add enough to gameplay to be worth adding I've already said that as of one of my VERY first responses but don't try to pretend that it's realistic or logical in any way, shape, or form.

Except other than Antarctica, no deserts get snow. Even Antarctica doesn't really, it gets ice blown up by the wind. But we're not talking about COLD here, we're talking about SNOW. And the fact of the matter is, tropical forest or not Muldraugh averages 6 inches of snow a year, which even if it fell all at once would have negligible impact on the player.

You're ignoring the points I'm making in favor of nitpicking. Most American's will know that Kentucky isn't covered in snow in the winter. Likely most Canadians, South Americans, and anyone who has a basic understand of the Earth's climate and where Kentucky is.

So as I said before, you can argue that it would add enough to gameplay to be worth adding I've already said that as of one of my VERY first responses but don't try to pretend that it's realistic or logical in any way, shape, or form.

I'm not pretending that adding snow would be realistic, in fact, I do anything but that. I already stated that adding snow in would be more in favor of "fun" rather than "realistic" side of Project Zomboid, and I do agree with you 100% that it won't be realistic in any possible way.

What I do try to imply is that people (except maybe americans) most likely wouldn't care about snow being in, and it probably wouldn't bother them as, let's say, adding an RPG that spawns at every fuel station.

But I already said that in my second post in this thread, so why bring it up again =\

Snow would be nifty mechanics wise, it's just gonna be reaching deep into the "reasonable suspension of disbelief" pool.

Blame my poor eyes, didn't catch that particular reply :(

Snow in the south isn't realistic?  May I ask where you're from, Rathlord? (Country wise if outside the US, region wise if inside?)

I'm from the Southeast US. So... ya.

If you'd bother going back and reading my posts, I directly mention the average snowfall of Muldraugh a year. If you want to argue with the national weather surveys from the last century... sure.

I'm from Texas/Alabama, currently in Tennessee. While this region doesn't get as much snow as, say, Kansas or Colorado, it certainly gets enough to be noticed. It may not last very long in comparison, but it definitely snows down here. Winter of... 2011 I believe, we got snowed in down here around Nashville. Last winter it didn't snow at all, and this year it got a lot colder a month earlier than expected, so we'll have to see whether it just gets cold or if we get snow. Anyways, my point is that if it snows in Nashville, if Mobile,AL can get a blizzard, if El Paso can get several inches of snow that admittedly turns black as soon as it hits the ground, then snow in Kentucky requires no suspension of belief, just the belief that when it's snowing in PZ it happens to be one of the years we get snow.

Snow doesn't have to mean the deep sled worthy stuff you'd find elsewhere, it just means any snow at all. Enough to wet the roads, muddy any dirt, and give grass a little white jacket. It adds to the winter atmosphere, and the only things necessary for it to be realistic is the ability to imagine a particular cold winter, and for it to not be very deep/last very long.

I never once said that having snow in Muldraugh required reasonable suspension of disbelief. What I said was that having enough snow to meaningfully impact the players' game would.

Trying to argue as if this would be realistic is borderline ridiculous. Yes, Muldraugh gets snow. I said that in one of the very first posts in this thread (which you seem intent on ignoring). No, it doesn't get enough to be meaningful if accurately portrayed.

I don't even know how to debate this with you since you've misrepresented my point of view every single time you've posted so far. Seems to be a massive waste of my time, though, so cheers, and enjoy it.

Every ones kinda arguing/debating and the second comment says. Planned for the future lol =) Me personally i think that's a great thing. Will add more atmosphere and eye candy....  and before people start shouting we don't get enough snow! it doesn't have to be like a Russian winter and be CRAZY deep, just alil dusting for footprints and a few flakes and to see your breath = a good feel for the winter part of the game.

Although has any one seen Companny of heros 2? The winter/snow storms in that game looks epic and how your guys die if they don't get some place warm... Can you even imagine trying to survive that in Project Zomboid? I'd play it i can tell you that one for free.

Interesting idea, would take quite a long time for things to get as overgrown and the seasons would help keep it in check for a while. I think it would be cool if they had different tiles for different seasons (snowy tiles, leaves, etc) but again that's a late term goal imo.

Snowy tiles, mhhh...

Maybe only in a future map, because i don't think that in WestPoint and Muldraugh snows alot...

Interesting idea, would take quite a long time for things to get as overgrown and the seasons would help keep it in check for a while. I think it would be cool if they had different tiles for different seasons (snowy tiles, leaves, etc) but again that's a late term goal imo.

Snowy tiles, mhhh...

Maybe only in a future map, because i don't think that in WestPoint and Muldraugh snows alot...

Well, I saw someone posted they only get about 6 inches but considering time is accelerated, it wouldn't be unrealistic to have a few days randomly with snow on the ground (considering it wouldn't melt as fast with no cars/city heat), having a small covering over the ground is quite possible but again, it would take a lot of work for it to only appear not very frequently so I don't expect it any time soon.

• 2 weeks later...

I never once said that having snow in Muldraugh required reasonable suspension of disbelief.

Snow would be nifty mechanics wise, it's just gonna be reaching deep into the "reasonable suspension of disbelief" pool.

A reasonable suspension of disbelief is required when playing a game centered around surviving a zombie apocalypse. Zombies.

Why would it be so far fetched having light snow in a place that gets an average of six inches? Which is still a decent amount. It would not only add to the atmosphere, but give the player a sense of place and time in the world. It could also add more risk when venturing out due to increased noise levels when walking in snow.

Look at Don't Starve. Don't Starve lets the player know what time of year it is in many ways. One of them being environmental changes. This change adds a lot to the players state of mind. Your first Winter is horrifying. You don't know how long it will last. You don't know the best ways to stay warm. You don't even know if you'll have enough supplies to last you through Winter. And venturing out too far can be extremely dangerous. But that feeling you get when the snow starts to melt... Pure relief.

A white Winter would add so much. Hell, seasonal changes all around would. Knowing what time of year it was based on flowers blooming or leaves falling.

Vote for Seasonal Changes in Project Zomboid!

paid for by the Seasonal Changes campaign

Forgive me for saying this, but quoting people out of context is the basest form of trolling.

I never once said that having snow in Muldraugh required reasonable suspension of disbelief. What I said was that having enough snow to meaningfully impact the players' game would.

This is obviously what I was referring to in my first post.

Statement One:

-

You made no reference to the amount of snow, or its impact on the player in your first post. Obvious reference is not so obvious. And I'm not trolling. Just pointing out the contradiction.

Statement Two:

-

You're arguing against an unrealistic amount of snow even though it's not brought up as a suggestion in this thread once. Has it been suggested multiple times and that's why you came out swinging? Hell, the second post confirms the addition of snow yet you still respond with it being a silly add-on because of reality. But in reality Muldraugh gets snow. Not in the amounts you've been arguing against, but a reasonable one that has been suggested, and in which those silly devs will most likely implement.