Dying for a scratch & Health system suggestions

Elorh

Well, this is sad, I lost my game just for a stupid scratch. I would like to share my story because it's not so reallistic and I think this kind of events should be changed. I don't understand why a character could die in a few hours for a scratch, bandaged and disinfected.

The story:
My character has been surviving during 3 months in a long-term game, and I was so proud about it. Surprisingly, a zombi made me a scratch. I didn't have a bandage at that moment, but I taked my car and drove home to heal my wound. When I was there I had "severe damage". Well, I don't undestand how a simple scratch can threat a person's life that way unless the zombie has the wolverine's claws. So, I disinfected my wound, I use a bandage and I started to eat until I reached the best boost for healing. Suddenly, I was in "Terminal damage",  and I don't understand why!
I ate everything I could during several hours, but my character was just stable in this "terminal state" meanwhile I ketp eating without control... (this is not reallistic, really).  That wound was completely impossible to heal, and later he died... yes, he died for a scratch, after having eaten half the food in my fridge. ..... How is that possible?

Developers, I love this game, you're doing an amazing work, but I have to ask you to check the health system again, because if you reach that state it's impossible to keep playing.  A scratch from a zombie should not kill you anyway. What kind of nails do they have? @_@ 

I suggest some kind of changes about the health system. Minor injuries should annoy and prevent you to run, take objects, etc, like when you have a wound in your hands. I think thats great. But defenitely, not to kill you. It's nonsense! Even if you have a terrible scratch, bleeding during a while, it shouldn't kill you at all!. It could make you feel so weak, in pain, etc, but please guys, if human beings could die for a scratch in the reality, we shouldn't be here since several million of years.

Unless you have a penetrating wound due some kind of accident or strong bite, any minor wound shoudn't threat your life!

I propose to implement different types of wounds:

A) Non-penetrating wounds: The result of blunt trauma or friction, scraping of the outer skin layer, like:

• Abrasions
  • Scratches or lacerations from zombies, remember, their nails are not swords.
  • Contusions (swollen bruises due to accumulation of blood and dead cells under skin)
  • Concussions (damage to the underlying organs and tissue on head with no significant external wound)

B) Penetrating wounds: The result from trauma that breaks through the full thickness of skin; reaching down to the underlying tissue and organs. (That kind of wounds could kill you)

• Stab wounds (trauma from really sharp objects, fall over an iron bar, etc).
  • Severe and deep skin cuts (maybe a bite from a zombie) -> If you have many of them, you could die.
  • Surgical wounds (intentional from other players or for a bad perform surgical procedures)
  • Gunshot wounds on limbs.

C) Deadly injuries:

• Several contusions from a zombie horde (Could break your limbs)
  • Falling deaths (more than 1 floor).
  • Serious infections (Caused by not treating a wound for several days)
  • Food poisoning.
  • Many open wounds (due the loss of blood).
  • Gunshot wounds in important organs or head.

D) Other kind of injuries:

• Thermal wounds: Extreme temperatures, taking hot objects from a cooker or a fire, operating generators etc.
  • Chemical wounds: These result from contact with or inhalation of chemical materials from cars or industrial buildings.
  • Bites from animals: Should cause infections.
  • Electrical wounds: Maybe for manipulating electronic devices.

That's all. I hope it could help to improve the game, or at leats give you new ideas. :)

@Connall I summon you! :)
I posted part of this post as a suggestion in the suggestions thread.  Is it right? I'm not always sure where I should write a post hehe. 

Edited by Elorh

21 hours ago, bearmasksenpai said:

cutting off limbs are gonna be a thing so Yeah you will be able  to cut off a arm and make it stop

all zombies have these sorry to say

z.jpg

Hahahahahaha! Just as I imagined!!! xD
Now I'm going to play scared of that kind of zombies. Get your hands off me!

21 hours ago, Spikelord said:

Good Suggestions but as a internet doctor i diagnose you with a case of 3rd degree death

3rd degree? You mean, like the school? Haha!
I hope you're not saying that because my spelling, English is not my native language and I'm sure sometimes people could think that I write strange things, but I can assure you I'm trying my best!, but sometimes I don't get jokes, sorry (it's the same for english people in my country haha, they don't understand our jokes easily) :P

21 hours ago, DramaSetter said:

Agreed with new type of wounds, + rebalance, cuz the only cure you may apply is bandage and thats all. No need to desinfect wounds, you will be fine anyway.

Thank you! It's nice to know similar opinions, although I thought that using disinfectant was an essential part of healing :(

22 hours ago, EnigmaGrey said:

You were infected with zombi-itus. 

Ouch... as I said, I'm terrible getting english jokes haha. What does it mean? -itus? :o
if you meant the zombie virus, I didn't catch it.

Edited by Elorh

3 minutes ago, Elorh said:

stuff

Actualy, you can survive headshot ( a.e bullet in your head ) without proper healing.. The only time i started dying from wound infection, was when i get 8-9 scratches, or 3-5 burns. Also i don't think zombies scratches you by their hands, but by their teeths. The human teeths is not so sharp, isn't? This explains why they bites you with such rare chance..

Edited by DramaSetter

Really????

Then my character died stupidly hahahaha. Normally I don't get several injuries at the same time. But I think the fact is that if you get that stage of "terminal damage", is almost impossible to heal any kind of wound, isn't it?

Edited by Elorh

I long ago read that a scratch from a zombie has a 25% chance of infecting you with the zombie virus and a bite has a 99% chance of infecting you. This was back in like 2014 though so things may have changed.

Once when I was a teen (long long ago) I was playing with my dog and he jumped up and he surface scratched my cheek with his claw. I ended up getting a nasty bacterial infection from the surface scratch. To me a corpse that has been walking around decomposing could very plausibly have some nasty stuff under its nails.

Also think about a zombie clawing to get into a place that it saw a meal. It would claw at the door/window/wall/tree etc until it was no longer stimulated. To me I can easily imagine a zombie grinding off all the flesh on its fingertips and could wear/break/grind the bones down into more jagged/sharp points that could do some nasty scratching.

I'm ok with scratches from zombies transferring the infection.

2 hours ago, CaptKaspar said:

To me I can easily imagine a zombie grinding off all the flesh on its fingertips and could wear/break/grind the bones down into more jagged/sharp points that could do some nasty scratching.

that sounds pretty plausible though i never saw it like that. still even if that wasnt the case i imagine the nails grew quite a bit since zombification (and probably hardened too) so getting a more than superficial scratch / cut from a zombie attack would be very possible and could definitely lead to infection

but, yeah, grinding the flesh off, yeah, that too

CandidFlawedAntipodesgreenparakeet-max-1 

Edited by xXxFANCYCAPYBARA36xXx

12 hours ago, Elorh said:

Really????

Then my character died stupidly hahahaha. Normally I don't get several injuries at the same time. But I think the fact is that if you get that stage of "terminal damage", is almost impossible to heal any kind of wound, isn't it?

You was infected by zombies virus. For scratch, its 25% chance. Plus, you can sleep if you get terminal damages, and youll be fine.

11 hours ago, CaptKaspar said:

I long ago read that a scratch from a zombie has a 25% chance of infecting you with the zombie virus and a bite has a 99% chance of infecting you. This was back in like 2014 though so things may have changed.

Once when I was a teen (long long ago) I was playing with my dog and he jumped up and he surface scratched my cheek with his claw. I ended up getting a nasty bacterial infection from the surface scratch. To me a corpse that has been walking around decomposing could very plausibly have some nasty stuff under its nails.

Also think about a zombie clawing to get into a place that it saw a meal. It would claw at the door/window/wall/tree etc until it was no longer stimulated. To me I can easily imagine a zombie grinding off all the flesh on its fingertips and could wear/break/grind the bones down into more jagged/sharp points that could do some nasty scratching.

I'm ok with scratches from zombies transferring the infection.

IT'S NOT THEIR FINGERS THAT SCRATCHES YOU, IT'S THEIR TEETHS dAmN!

21 hours ago, Elorh said:

Well, this is sad, I lost my game just for a stupid scratch. I would like to share my story because it's not so reallistic and I think this kind of events should be changed. I don't understand why a character could die in a few hours for a scratch, bandaged and disinfected.

The story:
My character has been surviving during 3 months in a long-term game, and I was so proud about it. Surprisingly, a zombi made me a scratch. I didn't have a bandage at that moment, but I taked my car and drove home to heal my wound. When I was there I had "severe damage". Well, I don't undestand how a simple scratch can threat a person's life that way unless the zombie has the wolverine's claws. So, I disinfected my wound, I use a bandage and I started to eat until I reached the best boost for healing. Suddenly, I was in "Terminal damage",  and I don't understand why!
I ate everything I could during several hours, but my character was just stable in this "terminal state" meanwhile I ketp eating without control... (this is not reallistic, really).  That wound was completely impossible to heal, and later he died... yes, he died for a scratch, after having eaten half the food in my fridge. ..... How is that possible?

All of this occurred on the same day? Because if so, that is really fucked i think, since scratches does like minor damage after you bandage it, if it was in the course of 2 days i would say zombie infection.

But i do agree, the medical system is kinda flawed, it feels weird that i survived a shotgun blast to the torso by mere luck of bandaging myself on time and eating ice cream and soup for some days. Also if i recall correctly, didnt the pain moddle made you lose health faster?

15 minutes ago, Blasted_Taco said:

All of this occurred on the same day? Because if so, that is really fucked i think, since scratches does like minor damage after you bandage it, if it was in the course of 2 days i would say zombie infection.

But i do agree, the medical system is kinda flawed, it feels weird that i survived a shotgun blast to the torso by mere luck of bandaging myself on time and eating ice cream and soup for some days. Also if i recall correctly, didnt the pain moddle made you lose health faster?

No. Only reduces your damage ( but not accuary for firearms, damage ), time of doing stuff.

@Blasted_Taco

Yes, I'm afraid all it happened on the same day. I know it was my fault for not bandaging the wound quickly, but it's completely absurd to die because a scratch. I didn't catch any desease, my character died just because the HP bar reached a point 
 (about 15% HP) which I couldn't raise, even eating all the food I had in the fridge. It happened maybe in 5 or 6 hours in game time. (I set game time in 2 hour of real time per day).

It's important to write this down in the forum so developers can make some changes. The health system is great for the game, but it needs a lot of changes. :)

"didnt the pain moddle made you lose health faster?" --> I don't know. I was so worried giving him all the food I had in the fridge haha, but sure, he had to have a terrible pain mood. So, I thought the mood was only a warning, but are you suggesting that if I don't give him painkillers a character could die? xD.

@Axezombie

No, sorry, I didn't catch the disease. I have more than 300h in the game, I know what happens when you catch the virus, and this was totally different. I'm just talking about what happens if you reach certain point in your HP bar, and the ridiculous idea of dying for a scratch.

@CaptKaspar

Yes, I know, but that wasn't the problem. I put the infection rate in 3 days, my character wasn't sick of any desease. He lost blood until the reached maybe about 15% in the HP bar, then, even if I take care about his wound, I couldn't do anything to get healthy during the following hours. That's the problem. He kept losing hp constantly. I guess the system is made to die if you reach a low level of health points, but that's ridiculous. 

Edited by Elorh

On 5/5/2018 at 6:42 AM, Elorh said:

@CaptKaspar

Yes, I know, but that wasn't the problem. I put the infection rate in 3 days, my character wasn't sick of any desease. He lost blood until the reached maybe about 15% in the HP bar, then, even if I take care about his wound, I couldn't do anything to get healthy during the following hours. That's the problem. He kept losing hp constantly. I guess the system is made to die if you reach a low level of health points, but that's ridiculous. 

Were you bleeding from the scratch?

19 hours ago, CaptKaspar said:

Were you bleeding from the scratch?

Yes, I lost a lot of HP due the bleeding, that's why I reach that state I mentioned, but at least for me, a scratch should stop bleeding after a few minutes due the blood clotting. If you have a severe injury, I understand it could bleed for a long time, but you always recover for this kind of injuries next day, so, I assume we're talking about lesser injuries. The system is then kinda ridiculous.

The problem I have now, is that I don't understant why you can't save your life if you reach "Terminal damage", even using medicines and good food.
On the other hand, this kind of superficial damage, like scratches, shoulnd't be so harmful.

1 hour ago, Tails said:

I agree that non penetrating scratches/cuts should not cause infection since the blood stream has not been exposed. Getting killed by a zombie that scratches me without bleeding.

Thats an oxymoron though don’t you think? It wouldn’t be a scratch or a cut if it didn’t break the skin. 

• 2 weeks later...

I too would like to see more types of damage, what you suggested and more.

As far as getting scratched from a zombie, perhaps it wasn't their finger nails at all, but from exposed finger bones. If this happens to you again, remember that you get at least one usable rag even when you rip up dirty clothes!