When did you join pz

tl;dr Joined in 2011. I've annoyed everyone since.

I joined around the tail-end of September 2011 -- just in time for the dark clouds of despair to descend on the community and rail against the additional month or two, it took for build 1.5d to come out. I was in a general diploma program at the local community college and writing my own isometric, tile-based engine as a side project, as I loved the original Fallout games (not to mention all the other ones of the 90s). My passion for that transferred to PZ.

I later started helping people out with their support issues. I also commented excessively in the suggestions threads and stewed, waiting. When the Nothing came during 2012, I was offered a moderator seat and kept the forums clean, along with several others including Rathlord, Nasko, and Kirrus. I kept myself busy spelunking through the game's code, releasing a few paltry. half-finished mods and helping others.

In 2014, ready to move on, I told TIS they should look at hiring someone to do their tech support, as it was time for me to move on. Instead of hiring someone else, they offered Rathlord and I a job (Mac for him, Windows for myself), which later expanded into my day job. 

Since I've grown to encompass the Steam and Reddit communities, half a dozen servers at one time or another, and release a few more serious mods (cleaning up blood, putting out fires, scaled fonts). As an operations manager, I do anything and everything I can to make TIS a better company and to improve PZ, spanning everything from design to QA.

I started up Minecraft in 2012 or 2013 and one of the little yellow messages said "Play Project Zomboid!" So I Googled it and played whatever one the zeds look like big headed aliens) a few times then went on to 1.5. It was fun watching the game develop: invisible fire w/ swaying dancing zombies, crops teleporting all over the map, and some just psycho versions.  Was it the 2.9.9.X that would just get crazy? There was one where you were just horded from all sides as soon as you logged in. Lol 

I'm not sure exactly when I got this game, but I remember it has been the only thing I have ever used Google Checkout to purchase. It was the demo and it was less than $5. Best purchase ever. It was the only game I owned on Desura, and for the longest time, the only game I owned on Steam.

Kinda wish I found the forums sooner than I did. But since I have I've seen many of the suggestions I've made sneak into the game. It is very gratifying playing a game with ideas of your own in it.

i lub dis game. <3

Ooph... Thats a good question. I'm not entirely sure. I think it was pretty early.

Errm. I think i got it from Desura. And I remember the map was 1 square, basically. A few houses, and a park. Maybe a bank? And I remember being excited when they added in sheet ropes to climb out of windows, and push-able furniture. 

Still here, still having fun! :)

• 1 month later...

Started playing this awesome game 2 days ago. I had seen it steam and immediately dismissed it after seeing the graphics. I then saw it again recently and saw that it had a bunch of positive reviews and one in particular convinced (JaxTeller - I'd played his 7dtd mod and loved it) me to buy the game. 

I was shocked at the level of detail in the game  and it seems I am lucky that they released the vehicles update fairly recently. I absolutely love this game and look forward to playing it in future especially when NPCs are in.

13 hours ago, Faalagorn said:

If you count downloading the demo, then 2011-2012-ish. For actually buying the game, it was Sun, 27 Oct 2013 – RIP Desura :(.

Omg I hated Desura so much. I'm so glad PZ got on Steam. lol I loved that Demo though. PZ was, still is and probably always will be the most unique and intriguing zombie game I've eve had the pleasure to experience. Exactly what I always looked for ever since I was a kid. xD

7 hours ago, MrZombifiedGamer said:

Omg I hated Desura so much. I'm so glad PZ got on Steam.

I never really used Desura much myself, it only serving as an alternative for Steam, but what I liked about them was early support for Linux before Steam and GOG had one, no fees and open source client. It seems that Itch.io took all these points now, so that's not bad, but I kinda miss my library there that I collected over time by bying all the bundles, and not all the games got carried over to Steam unfortunately (including some rare Linux ports from LinuxGamePublishing).

4 hours ago, Faalagorn said:

I never really used Desura much myself, it only serving as an alternative for Steam, but what I liked about them was early support for Linux before Steam and GOG had one, no fees and open source client. It seems that Itch.io took all these points now, so that's not bad, but I kinda miss my library there that I collected over time by bying all the bundles, and not all the games got carried over to Steam unfortunately (including some rare Linux ports from LinuxGamePublishing).

That sucks. I know the feeling. I had that issue when I left console for PC. Most of my favorite games I ended up having to sell like Gears and such. But some simply weren't even available on PC So I couldn't even rebuy them. 

I first learned about Project Zomboid in 2014 whenever a YouTuber I watched a helluva lot back then uploaded a video showcasin' the game. Now back then I ate up anything that was zombie survival+realism so this game was right up my alley. Bought it the same year, been playin' it since. So guess I'm a middle feller. Christ I was thirteen years old when I started playin' this game?? Lordy lordy that's a long while. 

Saw a youtuber called Robbaz play it back in 2014 maybe? But I thought the game was cool and different from the rest of the zombie games. So I looked it up on google found their website and realized that old 13 year old me couldn't get the game. Didn't have a credit card you see. So, I moved on. Then jump to 2018, I see one of my friends play a game called project zomboid. The name jogged a few memories and I remembered how deep the game was. So I pirated it to see if I could run it. Played it longer then I'd like to on a pirated version and finally bought the game on steam. Not an old man like you all are but I could have been if I was dumb enough to steal my mom's credit card. 

• 1 month later...

Pretty new to the game. A friend gifted me a copy June 23rd of this year (2018 for those of you reading this from the future). I wasn't really interested at first if I'm going to be honest, but the more I played the more I liked the game. In the beginning I was dying all the time. Now that I know more I am doing a lot better at the game and having a lot of fun. Now if my friend would just stop doing stupid stuff that almost gets me killed.  :-(

March 2012, just looked up my email receipt for purchase from Desura, which was where I bought it initially.

Not sure how I heard about it now, possibly from one of the posts on another zomebie fan-site.  Have been enjoying zombie films ever since watching Day of the Dead, back in the old days of VHS rental; first zombie related game was probably Zombi on Commodore 64, I love open world type games, and the slightly retro look of Zomboid is appealing to me, as it reminds me a little of Xcom on Amiga, which is no bad thing.

I didn't find Zomboid too engrossing at first, the zombies looked more like aliens with their identical green heads!  I did enjoy the Kate and Baldspot tutorial (hope they re-introduce them one day) and still regret killing Kate by accident the first time I tried to make her more comfy with a pillow.  Once the game had received a few updates, the zombies had a little more character, and the town really opened up, and from that point I was fully engrossed and have been playing regularly ever since, 500+ hours on Steam now and that's only going to rack up more now vehicles are in-game.  Whilst I'm anticipating more updates, I've certainly had my money's worth, and then some.

On 7/24/2018 at 9:38 PM, Blaze_Falcon said:

Saw a youtuber called Robbaz play it back in 2014 maybe? But I thought the game was cool and different from the rest of the zombie games. So I looked it up on google found their website and realized that old 13 year old me couldn't get the game. Didn't have a credit card you see. So, I moved on. Then jump to 2018, I see one of my friends play a game called project zomboid. The name jogged a few memories and I remembered how deep the game was. So I pirated it to see if I could run it. Played it longer then I'd like to on a pirated version and finally bought the game on steam. Not an old man like you all are but I could have been if I was dumb enough to steal my mom's credit card. 

Hah, 13 year old me weeded some guys lawn, went to Gamestop to exchange a giftcard, and then bought the game.

• 2 weeks later...

I got Project Zomboid on 1.5D back when it was on Desura.  It was purchased as a gift so I don't have the email receipt, but Steam says I activated my key on November 2nd, 2013.

Edited by bwc153
Fixing a typo

On February 14th, 2015 Steam was having a sale for Valentine's Day that featured many multiplayer games and buy 2 for a reduced price type of deal.. My husband and I discovered Zomboid while browsing the games that were participating in that sale. I think multiplayer was pretty new and that's probably why it was being promoted "for couples" during the holiday. It was definitely right up our ally! Some chocolates.. a nice bottle of red.. and some zombie killing survival fun! Talk about a romantic day! <3

• 4 weeks later...

I remember in my days we were bald and took care of our woman and had to worry about intruders coming into your home with shotguns while trying to heat up some soup and not burn the house down.   Not like today where people of all gender run around just thinking about themselves (ignoring multiplayer here)...

Bought it on July 6th, 2013 on Desura.   

Definitely, the non-MMO game I have played the most.   Looking toward the final build 40 to get back into it and fully experience the weather system.

Don't remember if I first saw it through youtube or discovered it in my various zombie games searches.  I also don't remember if I tried the demo before purchasing it.