Strawberries How you guys feel?

bearmasksenpai

At first  I was all WHO CARES but on reflection, fuck strawberries. Allow me to elaborate.

The food system as written is super easy mode. Food provides happiness and boredom bonuses that far outstrip anything you lose from normal gameplay. Have you ever really been unhappy? Like, without TRYING to be unhappy? No, because you get a cabbage and put some in a bowl and eat it for +5 happiness. Do it five times and you just got over the grief of having to club your grandmother to death with a crowbar. All preparable food items do this. The only time you'd actually be unhappy as a semi-experienced player is starvation in the deep winter.

with strawberries, you don't even have to put em in a bowl. its like instant antidepressants- which work properly, by gradually making you less depressed over many days, as opposed to strawberries, which are apparently cocaine mixed with SOMA. 

So how would I change strawberries, and food in general?

Basically, eating should be utter _misery._ A baked potato has 161 calories IRL. Lets stick with a baked potato, because I almost guarantee anyone who reads this has never eaten a raw potato right out of the ground.  You ever try to eat a baked potato with no butter, salt, or pepper? Fucking sucks. Now try eating 15 of them for your caloric needs for the day.  The severe intestinal distress this would cause someone aside, you'd be fucking bored as hell and miserable. Even with salt pepper and butter, but its almost inedible without at least the salt and pepper. And of course hunger matters too-- if you're actually starving, things would be different. But lets talk about the normal gameplay where you are basically never hungry because you can eat nothing but cabbage for happiness.

Sure, you can get a bump from chips, candybars, high calorie comfort food, mac and cheese, and so on. Frankly, even tv dinner should give a bonus to happiness, not a malus.  However, a raw cabbage, raw carrot, and raw potato salad should give -30 happiness. Salt AND pepper to bring it to -20. Cook it all and add salt and pepper to get to -10. add Mayo to turn it neutral. You'd need cooking skill and more ingredients to go positive. Side note: cooking skill level two should be the minimum to make boiled pasta and rice without screwing it up and making it terrible.

So if we overhauled the food system to be baseline misery, youd NEED those antidepressants just to live off vegetables. Trappping and fishing becomes essential two months in as the quick bumps from candybars run out and all the food is rotten. 

So, fuck strawberries. But even with this change, strawberries should be an easy source of happy neutral food. You don't get a lot of calories, but they never should make you unhappy until they're rotten.

@thiosk I understand your rant about blandness of vegetables, but have you ever tasted a quick grilled meat without any prior marinade or sauce? It's pretty unpalatable as well. Marinade it with some oil/vinegar (or lemon juice) and herbs, it becomes quite tasty (mmmm... souvlakis). You can also cure the meat using salt or herbs (bacon, ham, etc.) Or you can dip it in pepper sauce or whatnot.

Vegetables are the same. Raw or cooked they need some love to get them to pleasure level. I guarantee you a salad with sliced cucumber, tomatoes & oignons (forget the feta cheese and olives) finely sliced in itself is decent enough. Add a dash of oil, vinegar and herbs and you get a very palatable meal (albeith missing some proteins). You can do the same thing with thinly sliced carrots, bell pepper, zuchini, radish and the afforementioned oil/vinegar/herbs (add some beans and you got a full meal).

Cabbage is in game extremely unrealistic. My own cabbage soup take about a day to do (with cabbage first), sure it's quite tasty, but a 90 minutes soup with cabbage is just crazy.

As for strawberry, other berry should have similar effects when foraged. They are nature candies.

I won't go into the prone to disease part, I've seen strawberries grow into the wild (quite tasty little fruit) without problems.  Maybe it's because they want a strand that's bigger to appeal to the masses... but I'd rather get those field strawberries that are as small as 1/4" to 1/8" cube (0.015625" cube to 0.001953125" cube).

13 minutes ago, MyTJ said:

@thiosk but have you ever tasted a quick grilled meat without any prior marinade or sauce? It's pretty unpalatable as well. Marinade it with some oil/vinegar (or lemon juice) and herbs, it becomes quite tasty (mmmm... souvlakis). You can also cure the meat using salt or herbs (bacon, ham, etc.) Or you can dip it in pepper sauce or whatnot.

Totally what i'm on about! You can eat boring food and survive, but to thrive, you gotta cook

Oil, vinegar, salt, pepper, herbs, or unhappiness ;)

When the apocalypse comes, any food I get to eat that isn't a can of dogfood I'll be happy as shit.  Sure it maybe boring without all the extra flavors, but just having something fresh...anything fresh will be a godsend. Honestly I can't stand cabbage IRL...but given a choice between a fresh cabbage or some of the other less desirable options that would be available in that situation, I'd be quite happy with the cabbage.

Bland food may suck now, but in our society we're all used to a higher quality of life. When quality of life drops, so does your expectations of what will make you happy.

I dont disagree with that either, but in the case of zomboid, we're running around the apocalypse with the dead walking, scared shitless, and not depressed at all. Depression needs to be massively buffed as it is presently a nonissue- any lonliness\sadness aquired by future noninteraction with NPCs will be rendered moot by eating a handful of fresh strawberries, or 9 leaves of raw cabbage in a bowl. Farming fresh food and otherwise obtaining it is quite easy in zomboid even for an exceptionally low level character. I usually have 8 plots of potatoes in the ground on day 3 just for the farming skill. 

Meanwhile, wars were fought for salt and pepper in antiquity.  

Years ago i read a book on nuclear apocalypse, called Alas, Babylon. Not bad. At one point in the book the author comments that the salt ran out at some point. And in the "marketplace" of traders that had developed in the little town, the traders were all shuffling around "like zombies" because there was no salt and it was making people batty. 

So in my above rant I was perhaps a little overly dramatic, but I would say that hunger is a necessity- you gotta eat, eating is the most important. Variety fights boredom. But its seasoning that makes you happy. You can survive just fine without seasoning or variety, but you have to mitigate the boredom or unhappiness by other game mechanisms which are at present underutilized.

This can all be done with a food overhaul mod so its not like i'm suggesting anybody do anything about this, and someday I might even bother to do it myself.

After I figure out how to make books cause an effect per page rather than on completion...

To be fair i eat my salads without dressing or anything like that not even with salt or pepper really People look at me like i'm a sinner

However the thing is that You would not care there would be noting a baked potato is noting you'd just get bored of it not unhappy

Anyway pretty much guys? a lot of food isn't gonna make you unhappy unless there traits that are like that

Your most likey gonna eat foods with noting on them get bored of them then get unhappy

However guys berrys and such are the best like not gonna lie when you find them 

Also

Are you awhere of how easy pasta is to make lmao

If you want an update on the cooking skill i think you can't tell whats cooked right like "Is it cooked?" it says noting you can't tell at level 0 until it changes 

thats a good thing to add

14 hours ago, bearmasksenpai said:

To be fair i eat my salads without dressing or anything like that not even with salt or pepper really People look at me like i'm a sinner

Haha, found the "veteran" with "desensitized" ;) 

14 hours ago, bearmasksenpai said:

Are you awhere of how easy pasta is to make lmao

If you want an update on the cooking skill i think you can't tell whats cooked right like "Is it cooked?" it says noting you can't tell at level 0 until it changes 

thats a good thing to add

Yes- the cook profession gets 2/10 levels.

underscores that level zero should be able to do squat ;)

may be too much overhaul at this time for the devs.

On 01.05.2018 at 4:21 AM, thiosk said:

At first  I was all WHO CARES but on reflection, fuck strawberries. Allow me to elaborate.

The food system as written is super easy mode. Food provides happiness and boredom bonuses that far outstrip anything you lose from normal gameplay. Have you ever really been unhappy? Like, without TRYING to be unhappy? No, because you get a cabbage and put some in a bowl and eat it for +5 happiness. Do it five times and you just got over the grief of having to club your grandmother to death with a crowbar. All preparable food items do this. The only time you'd actually be unhappy as a semi-experienced player is starvation in the deep winter.

with strawberries, you don't even have to put em in a bowl. its like instant antidepressants- which work properly, by gradually making you less depressed over many days, as opposed to strawberries, which are apparently cocaine mixed with SOMA. 

So how would I change strawberries, and food in general?

Basically, eating should be utter _misery._ A baked potato has 161 calories IRL. Lets stick with a baked potato, because I almost guarantee anyone who reads this has never eaten a raw potato right out of the ground.  You ever try to eat a baked potato with no butter, salt, or pepper? Fucking sucks. Now try eating 15 of them for your caloric needs for the day.  The severe intestinal distress this would cause someone aside, you'd be fucking bored as hell and miserable. Even with salt pepper and butter, but its almost inedible without at least the salt and pepper. And of course hunger matters too-- if you're actually starving, things would be different. But lets talk about the normal gameplay where you are basically never hungry because you can eat nothing but cabbage for happiness.

Sure, you can get a bump from chips, candybars, high calorie comfort food, mac and cheese, and so on. Frankly, even tv dinner should give a bonus to happiness, not a malus.  However, a raw cabbage, raw carrot, and raw potato salad should give -30 happiness. Salt AND pepper to bring it to -20. Cook it all and add salt and pepper to get to -10. add Mayo to turn it neutral. You'd need cooking skill and more ingredients to go positive. Side note: cooking skill level two should be the minimum to make boiled pasta and rice without screwing it up and making it terrible.

So if we overhauled the food system to be baseline misery, youd NEED those antidepressants just to live off vegetables. Trappping and fishing becomes essential two months in as the quick bumps from candybars run out and all the food is rotten. 

So, fuck strawberries. But even with this change, strawberries should be an easy source of happy neutral food. You don't get a lot of calories, but they never should make you unhappy until they're rotten.

They tried to add this system with nutricion - if you eat same thing for days, you'll get tired of days. By the way, it's not. Also, calories is the only number that matters.

On 01.05.2018 at 6:11 AM, Fenris_Wolf said:

When the apocalypse comes, any food I get to eat that isn't a can of dogfood I'll be happy as shit.  Sure it maybe boring without all the extra flavors, but just having something fresh...anything fresh will be a godsend. Honestly I can't stand cabbage IRL...but given a choice between a fresh cabbage or some of the other less desirable options that would be available in that situation, I'd be quite happy with the cabbage.

Bland food may suck now, but in our society we're all used to a higher quality of life. When quality of life drops, so does your expectations of what will make you happy.

If you're starving of course, but not when you have your own farm and can just eat it for days.

Archived