Inventory icon quality issues

sugarskull

I'm working on a mod which adds lots of new icons for food items that use bowls. However, I've found that the icons look ugly in game. Please see the attached image. My icons are on the left, and the game version on the right. Original size plus 200% scale to see easier.

The in-game icons look less colorful and there is artifacting from I guess a size change. My icons are 32 x 28, but I also tried 32 x 32 and they have the same problem.

Does anyone have ideas/suggestions to resolve or is this just the way the game is?

pz_icons.jpg

I think the color loss was not in-game but from screenshot JPG compression, so ignore that...

I'm testing further with 32x32 color blocks and also get artifacting like halos and appear 29x29 or so in game. The issue also appears to happen with the game's default icons.

So I dug around in the code to see if I could find out what's happening. I found function ISInventoryPane:renderdetails in ISInventoryPane.lua and found this line that seems to reduce the item size by 2. When I took out the -2 the icons do appear larger as I wanted, although still don't look as nice as they should. They appear to be 31x31 and not 32x32. Hrmmmmm....

local texWH = math.min(self.itemHgt-2,32)

Edited by sugarskull

Well, if anyone is interested I solved the issue by changing references to item texture height from itemHgt-2 to itemHgt+1 (my guess is the texture is reporting the size based on 0 index).

Icons look great in-game now! The only issue is some icons overlap a bit now so I'll need to adjust the inventory panel rows/columns.

Edited by sugarskull

• 1 month later...

I had the same issues before. Icons's quality looks worse in-game, compared to our sprites. I'm glad you found a fix, but hopefully we get a better, official solution to that soon, instead of having to overlap icons :) Still a great discovery of yours.