Fix the Aiming System or revert to old one.

Jether

So ive been playing this game for a hot minute and even took the time to help male mods for this game back in 2015-2016 and one of the biggest things that irked me back than and still to this day is the half assed aiming system that just works and just being a compliment. The sad part is they have had better mechanics in the code for years as in 2014. Anyone can see better mechanics if they simply boot up the game in debug mode, pick up a gun and aim it. You will see your firing arc, what your targeting, and an indication of your chance to hit it. While its not perfect its irks me

beyond measure all this has been in game for so long and nothing has been done with it. Back in 2015-early 2016 i started a collaboration with modders to try and get this feature out of debug mode and onto mp servers which was met with failure mainly due to lack of information and lack of support from mods and devs. If you want to experience a fraction of what you can do with this feature in debug simply edit a firearms angle to low levels and youll see a straight line that allows you to essentially hit whatever you point at or miss. Gone would be the daya of shooting your friends in mp or shooting every zombie around you besides the ones you want. Pvp and shooting in general would be improved immensely on mp servers as you cpuld actually use rifles and take out targets at range and cover your friends from the rooftops. Itd be the end of random friendly fire incidents and turn a part of the gMes combat thata been so sorely lacking for years into something fun. Almoat every popular server thats still left runs gun mods because people simply enjoy shooting stuff yet the experience is so lackluster without there ever having a reason to be. So far development in this game for the last 3 years has boiled down to copying workshop mods improving them but this feature has been in the game in its code for ages and just needs a little love to actually be good. The features are already there anyone can see them just start your zomboid in debug mode and spawn a weapon. 

Imagine being able to have a stealth character sneak through wespoint and setup his rifle in an upstairs window to cover his buddies down the road, or being able to sVe your friend or a stranger from a few zombies hes being chased by because you can actually choose what you wanna fire at. Imagine not having to waste tons of ammunition just to clear a doorway of zombies and instead having to kill everything around the door first just to shoot the actual zombies in your way. It adda ao much more to the game and wpuld most likely bring alot of popularity back to zomboid because combat and other features would just be fun rather than this poor excuse weve had to deal with for so long. But the craziest part is its been here the fix has

been here for years! Just sitting in the debug file and if anyone with more experience in java and lua can help me get it out and into mod so servers can run it thatd be amazing. Hopefully the devs will catch on amd find their own hidden gem and use it to rehaul the aiming system which is long overdo for a makeover.   

Heres a link to my old mod that i ended up leaving parts unfinished due to frusturation in my endeavors. The Mosin Nagant should be the main weapon i configured for use in debug mode to showcase the system already ingame by just tweaking its angle value. I recommend running some other mods to boost your aiming to help experiment further

Edited by Jether

So far ive tracked down part of this system to linedrawer in debug mode but i cant figure anything out about it. Or i meed to find a way to make an addom that lets you run part of debug mode in mp but id rather Devs just implemented it.

Honestly the gun mechanics of this game are hot garbage, and I love this game.

Wasn't there some video of a circle that would form when being aimed and it would shrink when your character held the gun up? It would shrink down to show where the bullet would go and moving or being panicked would increase the size while standing still would decrease the size. That was way better than what we have now.

Plus why would I use guns in this game? The aiming is random and isn't intuitive, the noise attracts every zed in a country-wide radius and honestly there are absolutely no positives to having them. Game mechanics like this should have a positive/negative use instead of pure negative, otherwise players won't use them at all. You want a player to say "I don't use guns because of the risk of zombies being attracted to my location, even though with enough skill I can take them out" instead of "I don't use guns because I don't understand how they work" or "I don't use guns because they get me killed every time I use them".

It would be enough for me if the aim arc of all guns was reduced to what was directly in front of your character. If, while aiming, I could plop my cursor on top of a zed and be confident that this is my intended target, that would be enough for me.

That said, I don't use a controller and I'm not sure if this would work the same way between mouse and controller.