Airborne transmission

Lightning Flash

The infection, if the radio transmissions are any indication, is supposedly airborne. That would mean contact with anyone who was infected would mean you would get sick too, even if you weren't bitten or scratched. This could still apply with zombies.

The zombies are constantly wheezing and snarling with open mouths. The virus could travel that way with a single zombie. This is amplified with hordes or herds of zombies, who will infect you just by getting close to you, and it may happen when you're further away. If a horde is outdoors, and you're indoors, the chance of infection is incredibly low air-wise.

How would this be tackled? With the inclusion of gas masks.

The majority of a time you're not encountering zombies, you won't have to wear one. But if there are zombies all around you, you'd put the mask on. Use of a filter lasts about 1 in-game day, after which it becomes useless. Unless it's impossible to do so IRL, you could keep dirty filters and clean them with soap and water. Because gas masks are sometimes used by Riot Police and SWAT, you would be likely to find gas masks and filters in police stations, possibly even fire stations.

The masks would slightly shrink your cone of vision, but in most cases, it can save your life.

On 4/14/2018 at 10:10 AM, Lightning Flash said:

The zombies are constantly wheezing and snarling with open mouths. The virus could travel that way with a single zombie. This is amplified with hordes or herds of zombies, who will infect you just by getting close to you, and it may happen when you're further away. If a horde is outdoors, and you're indoors, the chance of infection is incredibly low air-wise.

I know that if you're near a mass pile of dead zeds, you have an increased chance of being sick.  While being a cool addition to the game, I think it's more like a high risk, low reward type situation.  Even when just starting the game, there are really big chances of running into large mobs, so adding this would be kinda broken if there's even a small chance of being infected that couldn't be combated with ordinary means. I think some justifications for this would be the ability to craft makeshift masks and other breathables that reduced the chance of infection. 

On 4/14/2018 at 4:25 PM, TheWraithPlayer said:

Sandbox?

I second this. Off by default, though.