Why i turn off music/ do you play with or without music?

bearmasksenpai

Look project zomboid is fun and all but the music is like really loud and kind of just like *A OWAOO WAWOO* while your just standing there like ???

i normaly turn it off so i can make sure zombies are there or not because the game is just fine with music its how i play it makes it harder to play because its like "I'm listing for zombies not this"

do you play with music if so why?

hi,

i have turned the music off - and normally do in most games after about 20 hours of playing.

i like music in most games - but after you have put in a couple of evenings worth of game time you start to hear repeats.

then you start hearing the music in your sleep - then it sends you cray cray.

so after a while all music in games gets to repetative for me.

I think the skill point sound might need to be replaced. I LOVE it, and don't necessarily think they should drop it (apply it to some other event?), but it seems too dramatic (and like, negative/uneasy/harmonic minory/raagy/out of the ordinary) for something as common as gaining a skill point. Maybe it could play when you recover from critical damage? And play something else (more sinister) when you reach critical damage?

Then again, I don't know why we'd be hearing that music in KY... Maybe they SHOULD drop it?... Musically it's awesome. Thematically, it seems off.

Love the background music though. I turn it way down, but I've always kept it around. 

i think it sould be something else because when i first heard it was scared because it was like "Oh dear am i going to die?" 

i think it sould be replaced with a nicer little beepboop sound like

it can still be that but i think it sould be like "Haawahaaa" like a holy sound not *AWOOO AWWOOO YOU GAINED A SKILL POINT*

Also by the by i'm talking about the music in gentral just to infrom y'all

3 hours ago, trombonaught said:

I think the skill point sound might need to be replaced. I LOVE it, and don't necessarily think they should drop it (apply it to some other event?), but it seems too dramatic (and like, negative/uneasy/harmonic minory/raagy/out of the ordinary) for something as common as gaining a skill point. Maybe it could play when you recover from critical damage? And play something else (more sinister) when you reach critical damage?

Then again, I don't know why we'd be hearing that music in KY... Maybe they SHOULD drop it?... Musically it's awesome. Thematically, it seems off.

3 hours ago, bearmasksenpai said:

i think it sould be something else because when i first heard it was scared because it was like "Oh dear am i going to die?" 

I've felt this same way forever now. In my opinion, it just doesn't "fit" the setting or idea of getting a skill point in any way. All the friends I've gotten to play PZ with me have always been thrown off by it too, with a "wtf" moment when it first happens while we're play together online (was especially funny one time when a group of us were playing together [with xp boost settings] and there was a bug that made it so everyone would hear your skill point sound effect and it was going off all the time for everybody lol).

I always felt like something as simple as a short twangy banjo riff would be more fitting for a setting in Kentucky especially since it seems they don't want a "gamey" sound and something more immersive.

That being said, I am someone that turns off the music right away in most games (I usually leave it on for linear story based games since it goes with the story and you only play it through once and then for some reason I keep my StarCraft and Overwatch music on all the time as well lol) so I may not understand a relationship that could exist with the skill level sound and the music, as I never really liked the soundtrack for PZ and turned it off pretty quickly years ago (sorry Zach, it is well done music, it's just not what I want to listen to while surviving the zombie apocalypse in Kentucky and doesn't set/fit the mood for me).

Edit: Not to mention, like you said in your OP, I really wanna be listening for Zombies in PZ and with how many hours I've put into the game (over 900 according to Steam) I'm sure I would be sick of the music no matter how good/fitting it was lol

Oh man. I wouldn't dream of turning the music off.  So many times creeping around a dark house it will start creepy music which immediately puts me in OH MY GOD BASH EVERYTHING mode. 

Some of my most memorable moments have been timed with music.  There was one time I was coming back to WP from one of my early recon missions to muldraugh and I had run into a sizeable horde which was clustered around the area where I would join the rail tracks to head home, I was in early stages of exhaustion and way overloaded (as per), so I said screw it and took the road.....

it it started raining, was middle of the night and the zombies were coming out of the trees on both sides of the road, it was sort of a last gambit of dodging zeds to get home and the track that starts with the bold and quick strings with a bongo or something and the chick singing... added to the itensity of the moment in a way that is on par with the the Halo soundtrack strings. 

I dont know if music timing is random but it certainly feels as though it is tied to 'events' in game and I find it is always a welcome accompaniment.

Without another living soul the music helps you to feel as though the game is still alive so to speak.  Otherwise it's just birds and wind.  Maybe some zombies moaning.  RIGHT BEFORE I BASH THEM.

soundtrack is probably tied with Rimworld for outstanding achievement in an Indie game (ie a game without a full orchestra)

Used correctly the soundtrack to anything can heighten the experience immensely.  

The Coen Brothers film Burn After Reading is a masterful example of this.  It always feels like there is this tension building and the world is at stake... but it's just George Clooney building a dildo bike. Even knowing that... and even knowing Brad Pitt is the chaddiest chad ever... you still feel as though you're watching this highly suspenseful spy thriller.  90% of that is the music.

i would never turn in game music off unless it was horrible.  Too many great memories of amazing games are utterly tied to soundtrack moments.... and for a game that has lasted 1000's of hours, over months in game... I'm still not bored and always get a kick out of what song the game chooses to play.  

If youre a good zombie basher... you don't need to hear their moans.  You already know they're there or when you find out they're gonna get an axe in the brain anyways.  If anything it adds a little more pucker factor when they just come out of nowhere.

although I do find the game is pretty good at shutting the F up when there's serious knife work to be done.

also one of my favourite things is the music that kicks in when there are A LOT of zeds suddenly on your screen.  It totally lets you know that you better start running... or mercilessly slaying them because there is about to be some serious shenanigans if you don't immediately cull their numbers.

theres also so much music that isn't even really a song... but more of atmospheric enhancement like the stuff that uses the heartbeat rhythm when you are in a dark and isolated house checking corners.... and then the way it slowly dies off once you've actually investigated everywhere and you can relax.  The music tells me about what's going on in the game from the 'engine's' perspective.  No way would I give that up.

I turn off the music because I'm a giant wiener and it scares me every time it comes on. I really wish that the music was tied to events, like battle or when a horde is moving in. Heck, even when a helicopter is in the area, BUT in the same vein I'm glad they don't (or at least I don't think the music is directly tied to anything) because it's scarier (and thus, more fun) to be surprised.

Depends on my mood a bit. Oftentimes I load a savegame and press M immediately when the music starts playing and its too distracting for the moment or the day was stressful enough.

Other times, when I'm playing in a relaxed mood (weekends, yay), I let it go on for the whole session, because it often adds to the atmosphere and I, all in all, really like the soundtrack of the game, especially with the increased variety nowadays.

Archived