what mode do you guys normaly play on?

12 hours ago, bearmasksenpai said:

i play on survival my self (been playing it ever est i've started and and i'm to stuborn to change it to something easyer)

however i wanna know what you guys do

Mine is 6 months later its harder than survival

Sandbox! I usually change how quickly one dies from terminal infection from bites/scratches to instant. Start off zombies on a low initial population (usually .5 or .7) and then have it ramp up over the next 30 days to something like 2.5 or 3.0. Things like that. I've yet to try survival or hardcore survival. I imagine I wouldn't do too well. I should challenge myself!

I play Sandbox a majority of the time to give all of the sandbox options a go, but I've decided to give Hardcore Survival a start, and will try to survive as long as I can. When I die on that save, I'll delete it and give the first week a go. I haven't played Classic Zomboid in a long time.

Talking about sandbox.... I was wondering whats the default difficulty in sandbox in comparison to survival. Starting a sandbox game without altering any parameters would that be equal to the survival mode? 

Sandbox with infection off, I honestly don't like the death mechanics when I can get hit by a zombie months in because the camera didn't like loading the darkness on one side of something or something didn't work right and bam, infected. Hours of playtime killed by a scratch. I turn off nutrition too since it pretty much is a running inevitable timer to give more debuffs. Mostly because there isn't enough food content in the game to use nutrition either.

I know I am not playing the game as the developers intended but I'm not killing that many hours due to mechanics I don't like and would have found mods to deal with anyways (like I did with Fallout 4's Survival No Save Until Sleep). I have had way more fun relaxing the difficulty in the game and playing it as a more "light hardcore" version of the main game. Actually by taking away the infections that the Zombies do and making me feel more comfortable in taking risks, I have to use the medical system so heal myself more often than more players due to damage. I also increase my combat skills by fighting them too. The game feels a bit more fleshed out in that way and I have more fun playing this way then when I played hardcore survival.

I really do respect IndieStone for allowing use of a sandbox with so many options and not maintaining "THIS IS OURS WE WANT THIS TO SOLELY BE OUR VISION REGARDLESS HOW YOU FEEL ABOUT IT" mentality that some game companies today seem to have as a badge of honor. Honestly if it wasn't for sandbox and use to the steam workshop, I probably would actually regret buying the game.

Try giving your character all the most negative traits you can and seeing how long you can survive. You have to play really really smart and safe this way. I think survival mode is probably too hard so you may have to use sandbox to slightly reduce zombies. It's fun if you want a challenge. Also if you eat enough you become stronger which is a welcome change from when I first started making these gimped characters.

On regular characters I use survival settings with zombie respawning turned off, it feels lame that zombies materialize out of nowhere, really breaks the immersion for me.

Mostly play survival, but I do like a lower starting population and higher saturation in sandbox.

I usually go with normal instead of rare for loot settings, turn environmental damage off, set the Zs to fragile, and turn refrigeration efficiency up too.

I've had some interesting games by turning migration and rallying off, and turning up the hearing distance and memory instead...

I haven't tried this with vehicles yet, but would not recommend ongoing heli events and hearing distance being on at the same time.

Sandbox with the following settings

Starting pop = as in 6th Month later (+repop/multiplier 20%/72 hrs too the Insane pop lvl) ; zed focused in town ; zeds with keen earing (sound distance follow = 200) & vision & good memory (obvioulsy zeds are able to chase & destroy)

Extremely rare loot on weapon & food (cuz probably the 1st thing to disappear in any post-apocalyptic context), rare for others

Instant electrical & water shutdown

Helicopter set to 1 apparition (next thing i've to up i guess), others sounds event are high

Weather = Cold & Rain, plant growth weaker, nature abundance weaker (nerf a bif the Agriculture & Forage skills)

Infection, Nutrition, flies & corpse disease, clothes degradation, fire, sledge on

Day duration standard

No exp modifier, no starter stuff

And i usually run with some mods :

Svarog More Loot / Viceroy Overlays / Winter Clothing / PumpPower (but look like i may soon remove it, cuz it finally comes into vanilla) / Hunting Mode (no hydro and no weap modes)

14 minutes ago, agreubill said:

Sandbox with the following settings

Starting pop = as in 6th Month later (+repop/multiplier 20%/72 hrs too the Insane pop lvl) ; zed focused in town ; zeds with keen earing (sound distance follow = 200) & vision & good memory (obvioulsy zeds are able to chase & destroy)

Extremely rare loot on weapon & food (cuz probably the 1st thing to disappear in any post-apocalyptic context), rare for others

Instant electrical & water shutdown

Helicopter set to 1 apparition (next thing i've to up i guess), others sounds event are high

Weather = Cold & Rain, plant growth weaker, nature abundance weaker (nerf a bif the Agriculture & Forage skills)

Infection, Nutrition, flies & corpse disease, clothes degradation, fire, sledge on

Day duration standard

No exp modifier, no starter stuff

And i usually run with some mods :

Svarog More Loot / Viceroy Overlays / Winter Clothing / PumpPower (but look like i may soon remove it, cuz it finally comes into vanilla) / Hunting Mode (no hydro and no weap modes)

Wow. How long are you able to survive with these settings?

And what is your Population Peak Multiplier/ Peak Day/ Population Multiplier? And Rally Group Size?

8 hours ago, Arya said:

Wow. How long are you able to survive with these settings?

And what is your Population Peak Multiplier/ Peak Day/ Population Multiplier? And Rally Group Size?

Honestly (& depending of the start point), if i pass the 1st week mark, i died mostly to the mistakes born from boredom around 4 or 5th month.

Population peak day is "5" (as 5th of January), peak multiplier is actually a population reset (pop multiplier is 1, which reset zed pop to a very thin number).

Starting pop multiplier is the same as in 6th month later (High =2) and climb to Hardcore (=4) with a repop of 0.2 (20%) per cell every 72h (16h non view). Rally group size is 200 ; travel distance is 30 (on 50). And zeds are active both day & night (and i've forget to mention i also run the "Nocturnal Zombies" to give them some boost).

20 minutes ago, agreubill said:

Population peak day is "5" (as 5th of January)

So you start at the 1st of January.

And I guess

PopulationMultiplier =1.0

PopulationStartMultiplier = 2.0

PopulationPeakMultiplier = 4.0

When you start in winter, how do you get your food?

2 hours ago, Arya said:

So you start at the 1st of January.

And I guess

PopulationMultiplier =1.0

PopulationStartMultiplier = 2.0

PopulationPeakMultiplier = 4.0

When you start in winter, how do you get your food?

Nope, 1th of August i guess (1 month later than the default starter)

12 hours ago, agreubill said:

Nope, 1th of August i guess (1 month later than the default starter)

In that case, PopulationPeakDay = 5 means your peak day is the 5th (or 6th) of August, not the 5th of January

Have tried everyone, survival and sandbox with all the difficulty that can be put on but it doesn't convince me... 

So: A Really CD/DA here, the most extreme challenge it's beautiful and teaches you so much, rations, combat, survive with anything you find.

Starting injured, naked, sick, drunk and the house on fire.

Plus, loot is almost null... Every single thing is hard to find, making it a REAL challenge... Winter it's 26 days after spawning, so agriculture is hard too.

And thousands and thousands of zeds, my last run was around 15k kills in 4 months in-game.

The only thing that I would put Is more than a hellicopter, but the rest is ok

I feel that other modes give you a high amount of things in a single house, and it's kinda boring

7 hours ago, Arya said:

In that case, PopulationPeakDay = 5 means your peak day is the 5th (or 6th) of August, not the 5th of January

Are you sure about that ? As PopulationPeakDay range from 1 to 365, i've always assumed it's the day of the year when it occurs, not X day after the start of the game (i've made a few search back in the days, but never manage to find an answer ; but maybe i've looked in the wrong place).

Archived