Less inclinated stairs to allow 4 directions stairs and car go up

arkahys

I know the perspective problem of actual stairs to be 4 put directions. That's evident when you see (or rightly not see !) the back side of an inclinated roof : 45° ( or higher) is just the sight of player, then you don't see it, because flat roof above it.

@lemmy101 :
Will probably never happen sadly. With the iso perspective imagine what south (bottom left = top) facing stairs would look like from the top floor. Literally invisible and covered by the floor tiles at the top. At the very best all you'd see is a hole if your lucky, it'd be completely invisible at worst. I imagine after 20 minutes of trying to figure out how to get downstairs in a building you'd feel different. It's a pain in the ass but hard to see how they could possibly be represented in game in an obvious way that wouldn't condemn our support team to a billion threads about getting stuck on upstairs of buildings 
:(

We've thought about this a LOT

Spoiler

stock-vector-vector-isometric-stairs-582

Recently TIS talk about Louisville outskirts, Make me think to Road ring (elevated road) on cities outskirts. Then I go back on an old idea when cars was just at start : a way to allow car to go on other floor, allowing multistage parkings, real bridges, road rings.

• I think to a "stairs very less inclinated", a stair for car on 8 tiles. actually stairs elevation is on 3 tiles. And then , BING ! perspective problem of 4 directions stairs :
  • Make other inclinaison stairs, on 4 tiles ! then the stair will be less than 45° and could be seen with actual perspective. As there is abrupt stairs (could be actually version, only two sided) and soft stairs.
    Spoiler

Abrupt stairs :
    Résultats de recherche d'images pour « escalier abrupte »

soft stairs (guard rail show a very little angle !) : 

Image associée
    Résultats de recherche d'images pour « escalier abrupte »

If the animation of players on "bad angle stairs" are ugly, could be an other effect who can help with perspective render : each step of kind stairs hide players according to his height. this could give an hide feet effect on steps.
  • Last point is a suggestion, Ability to climb  1 height crate but stay on it (players and zombies !). Related because can become stairs or plateform to see above a wall, seems a balanced cheap (skill) stairs :
    • 6 crates are need (18 planks),
    • really slow to up (3 time climb for a level)
    • remove cheaty one crate zombie wall.

Aside all of this, coming back on road rings :

• Could allow to make a real bridge as it is on the highway at the exit of muldraugh.
  • Make too a real bridge on the river near West Point.
  • it is a commun place for all zombie/devasted stories in films and games. Shoot zombie from a bridge or an elevated road, see an horde fall down from such place to surround me are situation i would play in PZ.

Edited by arkahys