Can one build bridge?

Vyn Halcyon

Yes and no.

There is a bridge that goes over from WP to Valley Station. I believe the way they do that is just by simulating the idea (powered by imagination) that there is water underneath. When in fact It's all on the same level.Bridge.thumb.jpg.ab2136bc592d0dfe7798ba44cae4a4b1.jpg

Also docks are possible but there are issues:

Docks.thumb.jpg.6707dd2f50b853d26f9c3b4cfdc6cc42.jpg

If you want the line of sight beyond railings to the water then you have to make them be jump-able.

This can cause zombies to jump over using their pathfinding behavior, causing them to jump on water tiles and get stuck. But it the bonus is you now how a zombie shooting range.

b.thumb.jpg.490c036182b8a1ec50228eb8c9fe0bde.jpg

(Jump-Able/Non-Fog of War)

If you make railings non-jump-able. Then the water is shadowed in a fog of war. But it keeps Zombies from falling into the water.

c.thumb.jpg.5fb8e2595d2aaec8c2f474cc722d92ad.jpg

(Non-Jump-Able/Fog of War: Best pic I could find to show you the shadows I meant though I have more somewhere)

So it's a trade off.

I'm sure someone with some modding skills could modify the tile behavior to change that, but I never found someone willing to do that for me.

Bridges would have similar issues if done in this manner. Though it is possible.

You can build out as far as you can lug wood and nails pretty much to answer your question!

Dude! Wow! That was one of the most comprehensive answers I've ever gotten on any forum; Pictures and all. Way cool :3 Thx. 

So, if I build a purely man-made dock on the same level as the water, like..a square out into the river, then collapse the only 1-tile entrance connecting the mainland with the dock, will the whole dock collapse "into the water"?  Or will it be like a floating barge? 

If it will be like a floating barge, I can then build an elevated plank over the beach, with a sheet rope as the only entrance/exit.. with water being an impenetrable barrier against the zombies, right? 

....well that's... IF built floors can be removed at all, that is O_o 

No problem.

When I was learning to map for PZ I tried to do stuff that I've never seen done. Bunkers, ships, rockets, docks. Each one has it's own issues with the game that make it a pain or difficult graphically. But it can be done.

I'm not sure if it will let you make floor tiles right over the water tiles. But you can make a staircase, then build anything you want over the water on a 2nd story. You could then destroy the staircase and make a sheet-rope to land.

I've done it and seen others do it in Multiplayer Servers.

But to get it right against the water like the bridge from WP to Valley Station you would need to make it in TileZed (the PZ map editor).

But if you can build tiles over the water without the editor yes, zombies can't walk on water...... unless they are Zombie Jesus of course!

SWEEEEEEEEET! 

Then it's settled. Westside docks. It's a straight ride from the the closest gas station, and it's not frequented by too many Walkers. Foraging check, fishing check, water source check. 

Creating something OP legit, using vanilla mechanics. It's stuff like this that makes me love Indie Games. 

Ok, last question.   If i put down a fireplace on a wood surface, am I gonna end up burning my hover-barge down? 

I added those in my custom map for the docks. I thought they were more appropriate than some of the other support beams.

You sadly cannot build them in-game though.

If for someone reason your fort burns down or even if it doesn't take a screenshot and show us!

Archived