Enhanced Armor Mod

JackMods

Hello all,

I've been working on a Enhanced Armor Mod (EAM) for Hydrocraft and am looking for a bit of feedback.

New:

• Armor is now inspected using a new "Armor" tab. No more individual "Examine" events.
  • Armor stats can be viewed by hovering over an armor piece.
  • Item slots change color depending on the durability of the item in the slot. Green > 75%, Yellow > 50, ... etc.
  • Items in the inventory  are marked with a shield icon to show they are equipped as armor.
  • Shields are auto-equipped as armor when equipped in the secondary slot.
  • New sounds for when equipping armor, blocking an attack, and when your armor breaks.
  • "Transfer All" will ignore equipped armor items.

See screenshot:

beta.thumb.png.2897138d678dd44cb65af61905978d1b.png

Thanks!

This looks awesome, now all we need is armor models appearing on characters (if only)

Also a suggestion: group all body parts with the same resistances into one so that the menu isn't so big

Edited by Jason132

14 hours ago, Jason132 said:

This looks awesome, now all we need is armor models appearing on characters (if only)

Also a suggestion: group all body parts with the same resistances into one so that the menu isn't so big

Grouping them might be a bit tough with how they are stored, the shield is pretty much a worse case for amount shown. Most items only effect a few body parts.

I've been trudging through the previously existing armor code and it's revealed some interesting stuff.

The armor mod is completely reactive. I.E. it does not block injury effects (bite, glass, bullet, etc.) before it happens to a player, but after. The mod is constantly monitoring a players body part status, and when it notices a change to a body part (like a new bite injury) it will attempt to block the already occurred effect. If the effect is successfully "blocked", the mod fully restores the health to the body part and removes the effect. It happens so fast that it looks like you never took an injury in the first place. There is no effect on any normal non-injury related damage.

The mod also has some strange hangups:

• Body parts with blocked effects always restore the full health of the body part regardless of what it was previously.
  • If you take an injury to a body part (bite, scratch, etc.),  the armor mod will no longer attempt to block additional injuries to that part. So once a body part is injured once, its unprotected until it no longer has any injury.
  • If the player is attacked and blocks it, the armor mod will fully heal the body part, but does nothing to heal or revert the players overall health. So the damage from a "blocked" injury can still kill you from the player damage.

I'll see if I can fix any of these things.

6 minutes ago, JackMods said:

I'll see if I can fix any of these things.

Some discussion and future fixes for these are already in the works (from discord earlier today)

Connall - Today at 5:37 AM
You can use avoidDamage() and setDamage(boolean) on IsoGameCharacter and it will negate the hit.
Will also be reset on hit.
Checks after the weapon swing event so should work.

One suggestion: make your mod compatible with not only Hydrocraft, but the original armor mod by Nolan that the HC stuff is based on if your not already doing so:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=709198610

1 hour ago, Fenris_Wolf said:

Some discussion and future fixes for these are already in the works (from discord earlier today)

You can use avoidDamage() and setDamage(boolean) on IsoGameCharacter and it will negate the hit.

One suggestion: make your mod compatible with not only Hydrocraft, but the original armor mod by Nolan that the HC stuff is based on if your not already doing so:

Are there better Java doc for these methods that I am not seeing?

i'm not sure if they've made it in yet (or were in the update to vehicles branch today), but documentation is always slim. better to use JD-GUI or similar decomplier to view the source. However, when they get added Nolan will probably add the changes to the armor mod as the quote above was directed towards him. Whether HC works the changes into their version I really couldn't say.

15 hours ago, Fenris_Wolf said:

Wouldn't you not be able to use the weapon swing event since a bunch of injury types don't come from weapon swings? IE fractures (from falling), climbing through broken windows (glass & scratches), burns, etc?

9 minutes ago, JackMods said:

Wouldn't you not be able to use the weapon swing event since a bunch of injury types don't come from weapon swings? IE fractures (from falling), climbing through broken windows (glass & scratches), burns, etc?

If that's the only spot the check is done, then yes other damages would bypass it.  I'm not entirely sure if that will be the case without actually investigating the code myself, which won't be possible for me til it eventually works its way down to the stable branch :mellow:

• 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...