Walkie talkie and ham radio seems really nerf.

arkahys

Actually use of in game communication system is very restrictive and unpleasant. I really would like to use this more in MP.
some restraint that i don't understand are :

• equiped walkie talkie go off when put in inventory. But can keep on if i put it on the ground.
    • it should be keep on when put in inventory , if not to speak at least to hear. after all I plug an headset !
    • BUT, they all have a clip to wear this on chest or belt. If there is a slot as clothes (and watch should have their too), I don't think it should be negative.
  • Ham radio can't be left on because i don't find the electrical outlet. To receive S.O.S, attentive to find other survivor or such utility.
    • This kind of radio have electrical outlet, should be acting as a TV (if close to source power), and keep the possiblity to add batteries.
  • Rain disturb signal, ok. But what about interference when we are testing this indoor at 20m ? and even, Army really use walkie talkie who have interference at 30m under the rain ?
    • Rain interference should be proportionnal to the distance and the quality of device.

These 3 point are annoying to make actual communication usefull. 
There is some suggestions who can enhance communication utility :

• add a noise maker to ham radio : Then i can advertise people who seek on frequencies that there is somebody on this frequence. Further I can talk sometimes to know if somebody find frequence and is listening.
  • IRL when you are close to the "good frequence" you heard signal, but with interferences, just need fine tune. Should be the same, (as rain do) when emit on 500 and you are at 500.4.
    the main reason for this it's when i want to scan frequences to find survivors... there are not only 1000 possibility, but 5000 ! So I abandonned with actual radio.
  • With last point, ham radio should have (with their big round button to change frequence) :
    • Either a scan frequences option as they Turn it slowly to scan frequences. But not too easy option : 1 sec (IRL) for 0.2, so scan full range take 1 hour and half (IRL). A starting frequence to scan could be pretty. As a day job : today I seek for survivor on freq 100 > 300.
    • Or a direct frequence scroll bar who instant change fequence. As sound, etc... (but with actual system, i think could be a very heavy process)
Edited by arkahys

They should have a range boost when used above ground level. The US Army Ham radio has a range of 5000 tiles, assuming 1 tile = 1 meter, 5000 tiles = 3.106856 miles. At 6ft height, you're signal hits the curvature of the earth at approx 3.5 miles (almost 7 if the receiver is at the 6ft mark too), blocking the signal. Given other factors, trees, buildings, terrain etc that degrade the signal, the 5000 tile mark is probably fairly accurate, IF the radio is on the ground floor.

Since we don't have any large antennas we can hook the radios up to extending their signal range, or satellites to bounce off of, a range boost for being above ground level would be extremely helpful (and add more realism to their use).

On 3/30/2018 at 2:22 AM, DramaSetter said:

Sadly, nobody use them anyway. Even on Spiffo Space, the global chat is on.. /0

The radio com and global chat are two separate things. It is not because global chat is on (and on spiffospace, as it is for vehicle test, it is understandable) that you have to use it.  it is the behavior of each who make the game. Two things :
Sadly, nobody use them anyway : it's the snake biting its tail, nobody use it because it is actually useless/impossible : you are very very lucky if just when you listen on a 5000 frequence there is somebody who try his radio on this frequence. Then some player use the global chat isntead of radio.
Even on Spiffo Space, the global chat is on. I see global chat as a way to help players on gameplay, server paramters, etc... Personnaly I depreciate it IG, because that's kill immersion. For question on my player, almost time I answer by  such sentencess : "My player don't hear anything on global chat".
I think to what you say in opposit way : With an efficiency radio system (in game mechanic ) players could use (and play with) it instead of take the global chat as a messenger.

I have some suggestion for global chat to be very restrictive, but actually it can't be usefull because lake of chat window, radio an other way to communicate IG :

• Server parameter to limit the numbers of send by minute for each player in global chat.
  • Server Chat instead of Global chat : A window in the esc menu (as players, options, etc.. menu). so you have to find a safeplace to post or read. actually everybody know that almost players read global chat, With that Players will not use this to contact other, because they don't expect to be read.

Aside I Would like to add somethings who could be usefull or/and interresting :

• I meet on MP (spiffo) a player who want to be the radio voice after infection, starting flooding the global chat, I say him to do that on radio. That is a really interresting thing on role playing Server ! May some easy things could allow players to do that on MP :
    • loop sentences on a Ham radio to do broadcast : may be done by CD player as support ? (or by adding tapes, or kind recorder) connected to Ham radio as headphones are on Walkie-talkie. That's should be use too as a S.O.S message, etc...
    • choose the color of text when transmiting (the color of the sentence on the receiver) As actually radio and TV do.
  • VOHR : (voice over ham radio, lol ), many player on MP i meet thinks that is possible, as me there was some month ago.

hmmmm... 
I talk about suggestions to balance and add features on radio for being usefull for player. You say that it is actually useless.

I talk about suggestions to balance and add features on radio for being usefull for player. You say that actually a mod exists.
I'am not english, so I may not understand what you want to express.
We aren't in general discussion, we are in suggestion topics, then that's the purpose to talk about things who aren't actually....
Do you mean that you aren't interested by such features ?
Do you mean that for you radio is useless and you will not use this kind of features ?

Do you mean that developpers should take time to other things ?

Edited by arkahys

48 minutes ago, arkahys said:

hmmmm... 
I talk about suggestions to balance and add features on radio for being usefull for player. You say that it is actually useless.

I talk about suggestions to balance and add features on radio for being usefull for player. You say that actually a mod exists.
I'am not english, so I may not understand what you want to express.
We aren't in general discussion, we are in suggestion topics, then that's the purpose to talk about things who aren't actually....
Do you mean that you aren't interested by such features ?
Do you mean that for you radio is useless and you will not use this kind of features ?

Do you mean that developpers should take time to other things ?

I don't understand why so many text on simple "there's mod already, etc".. I just say, that i'm not sure that people will use them EVEN after nerf, because global chat exist..  And yes, im not native too, so bevare, some words might be used in wrong meaning and etc. A-and yes, im butthurt, because people more prefer to play with global chat on, instead of atmosphere-kind of roleplay radios.

Edited by DramaSetter