S.P.I.F.F.O as S.P.E.C.I.A.L

arkahys

I just wrote a suggestion where intelligence skill could be good.
With actuals bugs, can't enjoy play, so waiting release, i come back play to fallout 2. that's remind me :
For old players who now fallout series and is S.P.E.C.I.A.L, I find this character adjustement very fine and powerfull , and in a certain way, PZ is not as far.
For others in fallout player have skill who form "special" they are  :
Strengh
Perception
Endurance
Charisma

Intelligence

Agility

Luck

This affect game stats and the base of many subskills, who can be separatly upped.

In a 3rd time you can have some capacities.

When I create my charcter in PZ, I realize that all of this is here, but with less incidence between skills/capacities.

What about a S.P.I.F.F.O ? this could give more fines parameters and impact.
I try to find some word who are not to close to fallout. I'm not very at ease in english to know all goods adjective...
I put in first line incidence on in game stats, on the second on skills themsleves (xp gain, or starting XP).

• Strengh : carry capacity, knockback, run speed, blunt attacks damages
    • affecting : run , carpentry, metalworking, mechanic, both accuracy
  • Perfection : buildings quality , transfer speed, container capacity
    • could affect : sneaking, all accuracy/aiming, cooking
  • Intelligence : sight range, reading time, container capacity, engineer speed, 
    • could affect : electricity, first aid, all maintenance, forage
  • Fitness : endurance, running time, sneaking speed, transfert speed, blunt attack speed, thirst
    • affecting : nimble, mechanics, reloading time,
  • Faith : panic, boredom, luck in general, moods, repair and loots. critical hits
    • could affect : all guards, fishing, trapping. 
  • Outdoursy : building time, foraging speed, run speed overloaded, hunger,
    • could affect : farming, lightfooted, forage, fishing , trapping

All of word and impacts are ideas to show a principe. don't say that are at the right place.

• 1 month later...

Yes , when starting the game traits seems very complex, but when you play hundreds hours you realize that can't allow to (fine) tune player and don't really change gameplay : When you find a good build, there is no really interest to change or test others, and after the character is set, you have just to XP all your stats..
Actually all is done to : enhance Axe or pistol with run or sneak/nimble and build, mecha or engineer.

skills who each increase / decrease  2 or more gamestats can give a very good way to tweak at infinite ....

On 4/26/2018 at 5:15 PM, DramaSetter said:

Copycat'ing systems from other games look like a horrible idea..

Good composers borrow, great composers steal. Just because it's an idea for another game doesn't mean that it would be a horrible idea. Just think of how many games label themselves as RPG's but have you play a main character with skills that you upgrade. The true RPG that most people know is Dungeons and Dragons (D&D) and many games have taken that system and expanded on it. And I do mean MANY games. 

On 3/21/2018 at 2:12 PM, arkahys said:

What about a S.P.I.F.F.O ? this could give more fines parameters and impact.
I try to find some word who are not to close to fallout. I'm not very at ease in english to know all goods adjective...
I put in first line incidence on in game stats, on the second on skills themsleves (xp gain, or starting XP).

It is a fine idea friend. I think, though, that the devs designed the game so that people who persist long enough are rewarded with the ability to learn all things. Having a SPECIAL system in this game would require a kind of "re-work" that would render a lot of the skills and professions useless. They do it for role-playing reasons and to take that and put it on the sidelines so-to-speak, in place of a trait system that is basically only rewarding in certain areas, would be really counter-productive. Each skill in that game has a place, and each person basically should have to learn each skill (besides shooting, etc.) in order to survive. Being proficient in S in SPIFFO would only get you so far, as you have to be proficient in all areas to survive, especially by yourself. If the game were multiplayer only, this would be a damn fine idea, but as it stands, I don't think it would be practical. 

6 minutes ago, PapayaKing said:

Good composers borrow, great composers steal. Just because it's an idea for another game doesn't mean that it would be a horrible idea. Just think of how many games label themselves as RPG's but have you play a main character with skills that you upgrade. The true RPG that most people know is Dungeons and Dragons (D&D) and many games have taken that system and expanded on it. And I do mean MANY games. 

It is a fine idea friend. I think, though, that the devs designed the game so that people who persist long enough are rewarded with the ability to learn all things. Having a SPECIAL system in this game would require a kind of "re-work" that would render a lot of the skills and professions useless. They do it for role-playing reasons and to take that and put it on the sidelines so-to-speak, in place of a trait system that is basically only rewarding in certain areas, would be really counter-productive. Each skill in that game has a place, and each person basically should have to learn each skill (besides shooting, etc.) in order to survive. Being proficient in S in SPIFFO would only get you so far, as you have to be proficient in all areas to survive, especially by yourself. If the game were multiplayer only, this would be a damn fine idea, but as it stands, I don't think it would be practical. 

Pz have its own pretty simple but working system. It doenst need any overhauls. Not saing about balance.

2 minutes ago, DramaSetter said:

So? Add SPIFFO, because we have common use for D&D systems?

You misunderstand I think.  I wasn't saying add SPIFFO because of the D&D reference, I was simply saying not to say that something from another game is a horrible idea just because it's from another game. 

4 minutes ago, DramaSetter said:

And i was talking about your first comment.

I realize that. But like I said, if you read the second part of my comment, you will realize that you and I are basically on the same page, so there was no need to rebut what I had said with exactly what I had just said.  You feel me? 

• 2 weeks later...

Sadly : no.

I'm up for more in-depth features, even putting some sub-skills on the existing ones. But I'm not up for a total stat revamp. It's working well as it is.

Keep up the good work though, keep the ideas comings because people may like it or it may spark more ideas.

Maybe ideas to split the existing skills? I'd get behind that and/or offer my input in an heartbeat.