Should the zombies eventually go blind?

Wasn't sure if I should put this in the suggestions thread, since this is also technically a suggestion, but also something that could be asked of the lore.

Seeing as how the zombies in the base game are dead, meaning they are decaying and rotting over time, shouldn't that mean that eventually, their eyes will rot away and will result in the zombies going blind?

That could be a really great mechanic to implement into the game, especially for players playing after the first few months. Imagine driving down the road and just coming across a herd shambling its way down, and you're forced to just shut off your car and wait until they pass by. That would be such an interesting concept to explore, and I hope it's explore officially, even if it doesn't become part of the base zombie lore and is just left to sandbox options.

One popular series that I like to reference is Highschool Of The Dead. In that series, the undead are completely blind, only guided and drawn by noise, as well as touch in some cases. Basically, the characters could just sit through a herd - right in the middle of it, as long as they didn't make a sound.

5 hours ago, Lightning Flash said:

Wasn't sure if I should put this in the suggestions thread, since this is also technically a suggestion, but also something that could be asked of the lore.

Seeing as how the zombies in the base game are dead, meaning they are decaying and rotting over time, shouldn't that mean that eventually, their eyes will rot away and will result in the zombies going blind?

That could be a really great mechanic to implement into the game, especially for players playing after the first few months. Imagine driving down the road and just coming across a herd shambling its way down, and you're forced to just shut off your car and wait until they pass by. That would be such an interesting concept to explore, and I hope it's explore officially, even if it doesn't become part of the base zombie lore and is just left to sandbox options.

One popular series that I like to reference is Highschool Of The Dead. In that series, the undead are completely blind, only guided and drawn by noise, as well as touch in some cases. Basically, the characters could just sit through a herd - right in the middle of it, as long as they didn't make a sound.

Idk... it would make the game really easy i'm affraid.. A stealthy build could easily walk past herds if not implemented correctly.
Maybe if like 1/20 zombies were blind or something, otherwise maybe a better idea for sandbox.
I like the idea of sharpening their other senses to compensate though. 

3 hours ago, Patrick H said:

Idk... it would make the game really easy i'm affraid.. A stealthy build could easily walk past herds if not implemented correctly.
Maybe if like 1/20 zombies were blind or something, otherwise maybe a better idea for sandbox.
I like the idea of sharpening their other senses to compensate though. 

I probably should've mentioned that too. Perhaps their hearing, sense of smell, strength, and toughness is greatly increased once they go blind, and they all become fast shamblers. That way, though blind, they'd still be extremely dangerous, especially in large packs.

If you use the decay as a logic for them going blind, I'm afraid the same logic applies to their other senses.

Once the inner ear drum decays, there goes the hearing. The olfactory system and nerves rot away, there goes smell. The problem with the whole 'zombie culture' (as much as we all love it) often fails to take the reality of it in hand...except for fresh corpses, the undead would be blind deaf and pretty much unable to detect anything.

Unless the zombie virus is an engineered/evolved form of cancer (think Deadpool, but brain wiped, with a healing factor reduced 40 folds). The Zombie would be a mutation from the inside out, consuming any cell not "native" to the mutation itself., thus rotten and decayed outside, but a complete different organism on the inside. 

4 hours ago, Fenris_Wolf said:

If you use the decay as a logic for them going blind, I'm afraid the same logic applies to their other senses.

Once the inner ear drum decays, there goes the hearing. The olfactory system and nerves rot away, there goes smell. The problem with the whole 'zombie culture' (as much as we all love it) often fails to take the reality of it in hand...except for fresh corpses, the undead would be blind deaf and pretty much unable to detect anything.

You could justify the hightened senses behind the idea of mutation.
A walking corpse would rot within a few days to 2 weeks depending on the weather,
I'm just going to assume nobody wants the apocalypse to just end in 2 weeks ingame time.

• 3 weeks later...

i think zombies "rot" because the virus is trying to strip away things the body it views as "not needing"

basey it wants that extra flesh gone to the bare minum 

or it came from a fresh eating virus whitch then idk man :/ however the virus would most likey have this to strip away things it doesn't need this is the only thing i can think of as a reason for it being there and for zombies rotting

so if you go with my theory the virus or whatever it is would just alter the dna the legs arms ect to rot away so that way the zombie could move "faster" like fat and such

so even if the virus rots away the eyes and ears and around the head area it would killing the virus because its relayant on these sense there

however it would rot away the parts of the brain it doesn't need 

the virus could also just formed a co-dependents with a flesh eating virus and the virus allows to do it job while getting more hosts thus allowing both to live as one 

however if you belive this theory the eye rot thing would be a thing whitch i don't really think its a good idea

i like to think the virus has a thing to turn of the dna that turns off cell copying on "useless cells" (such as fat) however this theory is just my guess if anyone else has good theory i'd love to hear it 

Archived