Cars are a great barricade.

Currently at the hotel in Muldraugh, Sunstar. I have two cars acting as the entrance, and I enter the cars and switch seats to get into the base. A third car is my mode of transportation. I plan on placing cars all around the hotel and using them to make the place impenetrable to the walkers.

Then again, I haven't had a horde come and try to barge their way in, so I can't be entirely sure. Can zombies push cars in large hordes?

Also, that would be really cool, to set a car in neutral and be able to push it. :)

I think zombies would sooner crawl under cars than vault over. 

I think it's instinctive if one fell over, then saw something yummy on the other side of a slit.... one would crawl through that slit (in this case the underside of the car) 

A baby instinctively knows how to crawl, as opposed to vaulting, which is an acquired skill.  That is to say a zombie thinks like a very mono-dimensionally hungry baby. 

BUT! From a gameplay perspective, I love it. Using cars as a gate.  Emergent gameplay :D

Trivia:    In The Long Dark, there is a car lodged between a gate and it's frames, but the player could enter the car, change seats and exit on the other side of the gate. This was a survival strategy to get away from a bear, that spawned nearby.  Excellent design. I call this "emergent design" hehe. .. or .. is it designed emergence?   Hrmmm. 

15 hours ago, Vyn Halcyon said:

I think zombies would sooner crawl under cars than vault over. 

I think it's instinctive if one fell over, then saw something yummy on the other side of a slit.... one would crawl through that slit (in this case the underside of the car) 

A baby instinctively knows how to crawl, as opposed to vaulting, which is an acquired skill.  That is to say a zombie thinks like a very mono-dimensionally hungry baby. 

BUT! From a gameplay perspective, I love it. Using cars as a gate.  Emergent gameplay :D

Trivia:    In The Long Dark, there is a car lodged between a gate and it's frames, but the player could enter the car, change seats and exit on the other side of the gate. This was a survival strategy to get away from a bear, that spawned nearby.  Excellent design. I call this "emergent design" hehe. .. or .. is it designed emergence?   Hrmmm. 

And then shoot 500 arrows to kill it from the other side of the car :lol:

Shhhhh, don't tell them.

P.S. Crawlers will go underneath the cars just fine.

P.P.S. Hordes won't push cars over, at least, not if there is no path to you. I've sat on the opposite side of my car-wall after a helicopter, and the zombies would just stare creepily at me from the other side.

P.P.P.S. This should not be changed: if I park a car or a truck in the correct position in front of my real life house door, nothing is getting through without a tow truck. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/11/2018 at 6:42 PM, SonaGX said:

P.P.P.S. This should not be changed: if I park a car or a truck in the correct position in front of my real life house door, nothing is getting through without a tow truck. 

Yeah! Maybe tow trucks sould be added, to do something with all them wrecks out there :D

47 minutes ago, Kuren said:

I think the balanced/realistic way to do this is let zombies break windows over time and then crawl through them like they would climb over a couple fences :)

That is my take on it, cars make excellent barricades, i tried to make one in that one house in Muldraugh that has like a one way entrence and its surrounded by a wooden wall and only 1 entrance, no zombies can get though. 

Like someone said, they should maybe they should crawl under the car or like you said let them crawl though broken windows, however if they are able to vault over fences and windows and there are going to be animations about them just falling flat on their face when vaulting over that stuff, maybe they can keep bumping into the car (if its small) and they can get to the other side though some type of crawling on top of the car hood.

I don't have anything particularly smart to say, only that in Riverside at the junkyard I use cars as a gate/barricade and enjoy it immensely. Haha.

Personally, I don't mind if this gets removed. It's fun right now and I can see why it would change for balance purposes. For now, I'm going to enjoy it.

On 4/9/2018 at 8:47 AM, Blasted_Taco said:

That is my take on it, cars make excellent barricades, i tried to make one in that one house in Muldraugh that has like a one way entrence and its surrounded by a wooden wall and only 1 entrance, no zombies can get though. 

Like someone said, they should maybe they should crawl under the car or like you said let them crawl though broken windows, however if they are able to vault over fences and windows and there are going to be animations about them just falling flat on their face when vaulting over that stuff, maybe they can keep bumping into the car (if its small) and they can get to the other side though some type of crawling on top of the car hood.

I have a hard time crawling through the interior of a car from one side to the other side as a life human. I can only imagine how hard it's gonna be for a zombie....  It's like crawling through a trash-compactor with a complicated side- ditch. At least with sedans. 

I can imagine that working with vans. 

Has no one here simply climbed over a car before? It's lots easier than everything suggested here. Getting over a van may be tricky, but getting over the hood or trunk of a vehicle is simple. As to zombies doing it, I've seen enough people do it in umm... shall we say quite "altered states" just fine (albeit a little more clumsily).

Archived