Zombies inside peeked rooves?

eldergamer

Question

I would imagine when you are optimizing code you are looking for anything that could be causing a drain on resources. I'm not sure how much the zombie count draws from the games resources but in case it does I think I've found something that might interest you. I had made my way down from Rosewood and decided to clear the two buildings highlighted in red on the image I attached to this post. After clearing the buildings I decided that It might make a good base. The Building is two stories tall but there was no second floor so I built some stairs and started laying down some wooden floor tiles. I made a path to the window on the east side and made a sheet rope. I climbed down and destroyed the stairs so the only access to the second floor was the sheet rope on the east window. I went outside and climbed up the sheet rope and started laying more wood floor down. As the floor tiles approached the center of the building I was attacked by two zombies out of no where. As mentioned before there was no second floor until I created it and the only access was to climb a sheet rope on the east side of the building.

My theory is that the zombies were always there, inside the center of the peeked roof. They didn't have mobility until the floor was created underneath them. If I'm right then it's possible that zombies could be spawning inside structures with peeked rooves. That would mean hundreds of zombies immobile, not contributing to the game but still taking up resources.

What do you think?

Rosewood farm building with zombies in the roof 1a.png

4 answers to this question

On ‎7‎-‎3‎-‎2018 at 10:15 AM, eldergamer said:

It would make sense that you would hear them but there was nothing. I have the music turned off in the game so I can hear faint sounds. One second I'm laying wooden floor tiles, I turned and stepped back to make sure I wasn't to close to the ledge when I turned around two attacked at the same time with no warning or sound from the tile I just laid. I do remember one more odd thing. One of them fell off down to the ground floor. I've never seen that before. I've seen them climb out second story windows and fall but never off anything else. It's possible that during the attack I shoved him off but that would be a first too. I'm curious now. I think I'm going to build some stairs to a roof top and get a zombie to follow me up there and see if I can push him off.

About your zombies in the water, that's pretty cool. Do they do anything or are they stuck there? I'm curious what would happen if you shot them? Of course you couldn't loot them unless the dev's re-purpose their vehicle code to make us some boats. That might be fun. A simple row boat and maybe a fishing trawler. We could have islands to explore/exploit!

They couldn't move or anything. They did go through their idle animations i guess... They made sounds when they were close enough.
They could die though, but their corpse would be invisible or disappear. Cant tell, i couldn't check if i could loot them.

I'm not 100% sure about the zombies in the roof and whether that was an isolated instance or something regular, but zombies outside the streamed area have a negligible impact on performance so over all it won't be a big deal. Thanks for bringing it up though, and I'll pass it along just to make sure it's not something that needs to be looked into.

That's actually a very clever find. But wouldn't it make sense that you would eventually start hearing noises? Even when they're inactive.
I've had zombies spawn in the river... (My base is at the abandoned construction site northeast of westpoint) But they Always despawned.

swimmingzeds.png

It would make sense that you would hear them but there was nothing. I have the music turned off in the game so I can hear faint sounds. One second I'm laying wooden floor tiles, I turned and stepped back to make sure I wasn't to close to the ledge when I turned around two attacked at the same time with no warning or sound from the tile I just laid. I do remember one more odd thing. One of them fell off down to the ground floor. I've never seen that before. I've seen them climb out second story windows and fall but never off anything else. It's possible that during the attack I shoved him off but that would be a first too. I'm curious now. I think I'm going to build some stairs to a roof top and get a zombie to follow me up there and see if I can push him off.

About your zombies in the water, that's pretty cool. Do they do anything or are they stuck there? I'm curious what would happen if you shot them? Of course you couldn't loot them unless the dev's re-purpose their vehicle code to make us some boats. That might be fun. A simple row boat and maybe a fishing trawler. We could have islands to explore/exploit!

Archived