ergonomics with the new radial vehicle menu

arkahys

I remember some efficient ingames menu and  I thought to this radial menu before but for all options, for menu who is out of windows :

By holding right click the wheel appear, more like a camembert than a flower (with a very little cancel round at center). With woodenworking, metalworking, mechanic, and other avalaible action : destruct (if sledgehammer), dig (if ground), etc... then at release click on the wanted part of camember :

• realize the action if it is a single action
  • open a flower menu (as actually for car) to choose action for mecha/metal/wood/water. Open a sub petals for submenu as for table with woodenwork)

Could be very efficient and easy to use.

Edited by arkahys

I personally don't really like the idea of having this for something like carpentry. With radial-menus it's way harder to organize many entries in proper way without extremely adding depth to it with sub-categories. It looks way prettier than the ordinary context-menus though, but imagine more then 15/20 entries in a radial fashion kinda frightens me.

7 minutes ago, Dr_Cox1911 said:

I personally don't really like the idea of having this for something like carpentry. With radial-menus it's way harder to organize many entries in proper way without extremely adding depth to it with sub-categories. It looks way prettier than the ordinary context-menus though, but imagine more then 15/20 entries in a radial fashion kinda frightens me.

Oh don't worry it won't get silly like that. Also we'd always have it optional probably - we do with most things.

if there is 30 entry for carpentry, with sub section :

• building : frame, wall, door, window, floor, pillar...
  • storage : bookshelve, crate, night stand....
  • furniture : bed, various chair, table...
  • aesthetic : cross, sculture of me...

there is only 6/8 object by section.
could have 2 layer of petals.
when many entries, that the menu is linear, radial or triangular is the same, first time you have to see all, then with times, you will remember what is where.

idea : the camembert menu give carpentry > open a little camember (sub section) with flower around who display objects of sub section, when click on part of camembert keep petals of the subsection chosen. ( to not switch to other part of camembert if object desired is opposite of the part choosen )

Edited by arkahys

I do a suggestion, for me it is idea who ask to reflect to what can be do, or not,is there a lake, a solution,  etc...
what you say is relevant, but that's not a reason to directly reject "prototype" for a things.

q72tjwt

pretty false linear sub entries :
leopoly-the-radial-menu-13-638.jpg?cb=13

I think the most important may be to not to hide (only shadow) infeasible things to keep button in the same place/orientation Expect for wall level !!! who should display only the higher doable

Edited by arkahys