Negative Traits

Pann

I have a functioning profession mod that I intend on releasing soon. I have figured out how to make positive skill traits simple enough. Where I am confused at is how to make new negative traits to help balance out.

For example, I'd like to make a skill:

Amputee: The person would have their prosthetic, but I'd like to have a negative trait modifier of -2 to axe and blunt skills.  If a character chooses it who has positive, it would simply lower it by two, but how would this work with someone who has a 0 start with? With positive traits, you can increase the xp gain of these skills, is there a way to DECREASE the xp gains of these skills and like it to a trait?

If you notice, the only traits that provide negative values to skill levels are for fitness and strength, which start at 5. While it is possible to do it, you would have to wait til the character reaches lvl 1, then remove the level. And again a second time.

Personally I think your thinking about the trait wrong. Remember both blunt and axes can be swung 1 handed in game. And while prosthetics are fine for simple tasks, swinging weapons is not one of them. Also bear in mind your dealing with 1993 era prosthetics, not modern day.

I think a better alternative would be simply limiting the use of weapons. If a weapon requires both hands, for unequip it. If it can be used one handed, but the player equips it in both, force a unequip and equip it one handed only, possibly force unequiping any item that goes into the secondary hand as well, maybe depending on the weight of the item.

55 minutes ago, Fenris_Wolf said:

If you notice, the only traits that provide negative values to skill levels are for fitness and strength, which start at 5. While it is possible to do it, you would have to wait til the character reaches lvl 1, then remove the level. And again a second time.

Personally I think your thinking about the trait wrong. Remember both blunt and axes can be swung 1 handed in game. And while prosthetics are fine for simple tasks, swinging weapons is not one of them. Also bear in mind your dealing with 1993 era prosthetics, not modern day.

I think a better alternative would be simply limiting the use of weapons. If a weapon requires both hands, for unequip it. If it can be used one handed, but the player equips it in both, force a unequip and equip it one handed only, possibly force unequiping any item that goes into the secondary hand as well, maybe depending on the weight of the item.

That  was simply one example of an optional trait. I am in need of some negative traits to balance out some of the point costs of some of the positive traits and professions I'm  adding. From what you are saying - unless a skill starts off in the positive, there is no way  currently to make it go in the negative, which I understand. There are several traits that add positive values to xp gain, I'm really  looking into how to slow xp gain based on a "flaw".

Slowing a xp gain maybe possible using player:getXp():addXpMultiplier(), this is the function called when reading books.

http://projectzomboid.com/modding/zombie/characters/IsoGameCharacter.XP.html#addXpMultiplier-zombie.characters.skills.PerkFactory.Perks-float-int-int-

It accepts a float value for the multipler, so it seems reasonable enough that you could use a multipler less then 1.

I'm unsure if doing something like reading will overwrite the value however, not something I've ever played with.

Ok Fenris, I've got a question. 

I've tested this with Dub's Profession mod, and the same issue is springing up. When you select a class with a trait added to it using :addFreeTrait(), a player can select and remove that trait, and then get the points for it refunded. After this, they can then select off of the class, reselect the class, and the trait is available again to be removed. This can be repeated stacking up LOTS of points in the process.

Any chance there is a way  to make a trait locked onto a profession so that it can't be removed?

Yes, sort of..from what I'm reading (in the PZ code)...we'll take a look at the nutritionist trait as our example here.

Its a selectable trait, but also comes free with the Fitness Instructor profession. Nutritionist is not one trait, but actually 2.

In shared/NPCs/MainCreationMethods.lua: (note I'm looking at the 38.30 build file, so depending on build, line numbers may vary)

at line 150, and 151 we can see:

TraitFactory.addTrait("Nutritionist", getText("UI_trait_nutritionist"), 4, getText("UI_trait_nutritionistdesc"), false);
    TraitFactory.addTrait("Nutritionist2", getText("UI_trait_nutritionist"), 0, getText("UI_trait_nutritionistdesc"), true);

If we look up the API documention for the addTrait function http://projectzomboid.com/modding/zombie/characters/traits/TraitFactory.html#addTrait-java.lang.String-java.lang.String-int-java.lang.String-boolean-

We can see the 4 and 0 are the point costs, and that last true/false argument specifies its a profession trait (can't be removed).

So to do it properly you'd need to make a second trait that is given free. This may present problems with some traits such as lucky/unlucky as checking for these traits will be hardcoded in many places in the lua files and possibly java as well.

Also note line 305:

TraitFactory.setMutualExclusive("Nutritionist", "Nutritionist2");

Specifying you can't have both, once you select fitness instructor, the other nutritionist is removed from the list.

And the final line 517

fitnessInstructor:addFreeTrait("Nutritionist2");

Hope it helps ;)

@Pann

I just had a thought that's probably worth sharing...

On 2/13/2018 at 5:47 PM, Fenris_Wolf said:

So to do it properly you'd need to make a second trait that is given free. This may present problems with some traits such as lucky/unlucky as checking for these traits will be hardcoded in many places in the lua files and possibly java as well.

This problem can be by-passed! Taking "Lucky" as a example which we know is hardcoded in all the java and lua.

Creating a second trait such as 'Lucky2' that's defined as a occupation trait, all those hardcoded checks of course won't know to look to see if the character has the new Lucky2 trait.

The work around is really quite simple, I'm surprised I didn't think of it sooner.

Events.OnNewGame.Add(function(player, square)
    if player:hasTrait("Lucky2") then
        player:getTraits():remove("Lucky2")
        player:getTraits():add("Lucky")        
    end
end)

:lol: