Late game security

Jere

Imagine having a large size base, it's late game, you have generators and power throughout your base. Wouldn't it be cool to have an alarm system in place so that if someone (player or zombie) were to break down a section of wall or even pass on a trail or road, that an alarm would go off inside your base (volume settings could be turned up or down like any device). Perhaps it buzzes once for section one, twice for section two etc., if there are more than one alarms in place. Of course for this you would need to be a decent level electrician to be able to do it or possibly modify or craft the components needed.

Then I was thinking, why stop there? What about at a further electrician level you could set up motion detection cameras? If they go off you need to view your tv and a smaller screen would come up showing you what's happening or even have it recording on video tapes. You could see if a person was trying to break in (doesn't show the name above their head) or if it was just a group of zeds passing by that broke a part of your wall while you were away or offline.

3 hours ago, Minnigin said:

I like this, make it lvl 9 or 10 electric skill and I'm down

Ya I would imagine it would be a high level skill. 

7 minutes ago, FinestHops said:

This would be awesome in MP.  The alarms part but I dunno about the cameras. 

Absolutely MP or when NPCs are implemented. Video cameras could also be useful on a character, it would record your screen. So when you raid a base or do something cool, you could show your team mates at a later date. Or if you died while recording, players could find your footage and see what happened to you. Alternatively, with the suggestion I made before about teaching, you could make videos of making something and another player could watch it and ''learn'' how to make it or possibly get an xp boost from it.

Having "footage to show your mates" isn't exactly what I would have in mind as the purpose for the camera due to how much extra memory that will take, let alone rendering it in any way that isn't a clip-replay system that will most definitely be a step down from the dozens of screen-cap programs you can get for free. If anything, your initial implementation where you can use it to see an area your character currently isn't is probably the best you are going to get, and at that it is still very flaky. At best... CCTV. 

The game's setting also provides it's own limitations as you don't have an iphone to simply whip out of your pocket whenever you want to videotape something, let alone creating footage of you assaulting a base. The 'go-pro- technology just simply isn't significant enough in 1992 to be a household existence unless you are dedicating a member of your raiding party to carry around a clunky Panasonic camcorder. 

Conclusion? Probably not going to get your go-pro experience you described above for both lore and gameplay reasons. Unless you are asking the developers for a built-in screen recorder where you can share clips, at which point I would be entirely against this as it is a waste of effort among the plethora of services that already do this. Security cameras, maybe, guaranteed that the area being filmed will render with much less detail.

TL;DR Alarms are a solid idea but your expectations for video cameras will not be met

I'm not sure an alarm is really a "security", if you see what they do in game with any kind of decent zed population and/or zed awareness :-D

Add to late game security issues ; it's really missing some kind of traps & obstacles to set up around your haven.

About cameras, even if it's not so appealing, maybe the Damien Darkside's solution is not a bad one.

43 minutes ago, agreubill said:

I'm not sure an alarm is really a "security", if you see what they do in game with any kind of decent zed population and/or zed awareness :-D

Add to late game security issues ; it's really missing some kind of traps & obstacles to set up around your haven.

About cameras, even if it's not so appealing, maybe the Damien Darkside's solution is not a bad one.

Traps are really lacking. I want Punji Stick traps

• 2 months later...