Behavior with saves that differ from ServerPlayerID

Dr_Cox1911

Stumbled upon this recentyl and talked to EnigmaGrey on Discord about it.

I think the behavior of the game when a player tries to connect to a server with an existing save that has a different ServerPlayerID needs improvement.

Situation right now:

During loading the screen stays black with a small hint at the bottom. Couldn't get rid of it, no mouse click, no ESC, no space, no Enter, only task manager and killing worked.

Preferred behavior:

Add two buttons, one "Return to main menu", the other "create new character". The hint stays the same.

This would be much more newbie friendly, because right now affected players need to manually delete their savegame.

If a serverowner want's to completely restart and force every player to start with a new char the only way to achieve this is to alter the ServerPlayerID within the servertest.ini, but many players won't understand the hint and will never visit the server again because of this.

In this case, it somehow not working on click is a bug. It should just go to the desktop on click.

I otherwise agree and have asked for it for a very long time. At the very least having a proper button and prominent message that explains what happened/steps to fix it is necessary, if return to main menu / spawn new character isn't feasible (or will take too long to do).

I've had people in the past assume they were banned because of this error.