modifying cars

Spikelord

Just A Quick Question about Cars

Will We be able to modify them

even something as simple as painting or welding a few metal plates on to reinforce them

would make vehicles better For the long run

And Give a new use for the Metal Working Skill

There's currently car modification in the build to some degree, however welding metal plates and plows to cars is a lot more unrealistic and impractical than Mad Max makes it look. Hopefully there won't be too much in the way of adding spikes and turrets to cars. Currently you can upgrade the tires, gas tank, radio, brakes and suspension. Not sure if I missed any.

You can also strip parts to reduce weight and reduce fuel economy.

Painting would be fantastic and is something I've thought of when playing too, as it's sometimes hard to get just the right colour and type of a vehicle you want.

I haven't checked the lua, but from what I can see with colour variance ingame, I would assume (though I could be wrong) that vehicle colour is just something like a straight up RGB value that varies per vehicle. So I would think it'd be pretty simple to assign different RGB values to the different paint colours, and modify the vehicle's value on using it.

Maybe rather than outright setting it to a fixed value, it would be possible to have each use increase or decrease the RGB values instead. E.g: one use of red paint adds 50 to R. Then you could have the whole rainbow to paint your favourite vehicles with.

15 hours ago, Spikelord said:

Just A Quick Question about Cars

Will We be able to modify them

even something as simple as painting or welding a few metal plates on to reinforce them

would make vehicles better For the long run

And Give a new use for the Metal Working Skill

Attachments are planned. We've been focusing on getting the base vehicle code working properly and tying that into the game.

11 hours ago, NorthRoad said:

Painting would be fantastic and is something I've thought of when playing too, as it's sometimes hard to get just the right colour and type of a vehicle you want.

I haven't checked the lua, but from what I can see with colour variance ingame, I would assume (though I could be wrong) that vehicle colour is just something like a straight up RGB value that varies per vehicle. So I would think it'd be pretty simple to assign different RGB values to the different paint colours, and modify the vehicle's value on using it.

Maybe rather than outright setting it to a fixed value, it would be possible to have each use increase or decrease the RGB values instead. E.g: one use of red paint adds 50 to R. Then you could have the whole rainbow to paint your favourite vehicles with.

I'm not sure on the plans or technicalities of changing car colours. From my understanding you could probably re-colour the whole car but not have different coloured areas.

52 minutes ago, Jack Bower said:

Mounting a V shaped plow would be great. Can drive through as many zombies as you like and it just pushes them right out of the way!

With the majority of vehicles in the game, this would bend the frame of the car and also get you stuck on zombies faster than you could say "Mad Max was a good movie." Plows on vehicles are useful for removing snow, and still cannot be used to strike things at any speed beyond a slow push, so it wouldn't be useful at all for actually protecting the vehicle or fighting zed.

Barring windows and the like would be interesting, though, but it would make sense for doing this to cut visibility as well.

Not to be 'that guy' but if we have to worry about overfishing a pond as a single character or waiting too long to collect from a snare trap I do not see realism exceptions being made for apocalypse aesthetic 

Metalworking would be more worthwhile if you could use it to replace windows with metal plates or bars, add fun things plows, spikes, headlight cages, and the ability to repair the body. At least something to make running over zombies actually start reliably killing them while doing less damage to the vehicle would be nifty.

Other than that, I'd personally like to see that when you remove extra seats and other parts the cargo capacity increases a bit. Car inventories are a bit smallish IMO.

Archived