SprayPaint Markings

Spikelord

Lets Talk Markings [Arrows] [symbols] And Whatnot

The Mod Below Does This Very Well But This seems like something that should be in the base game 

Markings Would be Great for role playing and for depth 

Surprising Things Could make markings 

Mustard

Lipstick 

Paint

Crayons 

Chalk 

Spray Paint

But of Course Some Would Wash away in the rain

and markings would be buried under snow

Feedback is Always Welcome And thank You for Reading

?interpolation=lanczos-none&output-format=jpeg&output-quality=95&fit=inside%7C637%3A358&composite-to=*,*%7C637%3A358&background-color=black

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=499153179&searchtext=

Yes please!

So it raises a question for me: what are the legal/contractual ramifiations of an IP owner implementing features which were mimicked--if not wholesale copy-pasted--from code created by mod makers?

I know there are myriad ways around it for the developer. For one thing, most mods will never be baked into the source code, and likewise, most users will not have access to the source code (or at least its most recent iteration). But if TIS implemented a "Environmental Signs & Symbols" package, it might seem obvious to some that they had "copied" certain mods, and I know that certain users tend to cop attitudes when it comes to that sort of thing.

Me personally, based on my understanding of IP law, the owner of the IP takes precedence almost across the board. We users do not "own" really anything except a license to use the software, and that may be subject to certain restrictions that are not anticipated. That is, IMHO, as it should be. Creators of intellectual property need to be confident that their creations are secure and as such IP law needs to show favoritism to IP owners . . .

With that said, it is also wonderful when IP owners can be gracious (and pragmatic) enough to allow users to distribute creations that articulate with the licensed software, i.e., "mods." The stance that various publishers/studios take on the matter of "who owns mods" seems to be diverse. Some seem to state categorically that mod makers own the mods, but only in a limited sense, and that the IP owner can exert considerable control over the created content as it occurs in the public realm. Others seem to think that all user create content is "officially" owned by the IP owner, or even to suggest that the IP owner has no ownership or oversight at all.

If it were me, I'd have a policy that: you can make mods and distribute them as long as they do not breach any secure or encrypted features of the software, but you cannot sell them. I'd lean toward a policy that any mod content can be used as a basis to implement updates/revisions to the actual software, and even a policy that users may be asked if their content can be included virtually verbatim in the software, with credits, but no remuneration.

Edited by DicheBach

47 minutes ago, DicheBach said:

So it raises a question for me: what are the legal/contractual ramifiations of an IP owner implementing features which were mimicked--if not wholesale copy-pasted--from code created by mod makers?

Nothing wrong with implementing features from mods, most mod creators would take this as a bonus when their ideas are implemented in the base game. Quoting the modding rules and guidelines thread:

• "Indie Stone reserve the right to implement any features in the game irrespective of whether mods exist that accomplish the same goal. While we will respect people's personal creations and always ask for permission and offer credit within the game before intentionally including any code, art or dialogue directly from mods with the core game, we do this out of respect to the authors and are not legally obliged, and general game-play ideas themselves do not apply (although again, we will be responsible when it comes to giving informal credit should ideas be used directly based on mods). We say this only to protect ourselves from the potential for mods to beat us to features we already intended to add and then having the origin of that idea disputed."

However, in my opinion, copy-pasting code from a mod is probably in very poor taste and a bad idea. Most development teams have very specific guidelines for members of the team contributing code: syntax styles, variable naming schemes and so forth. Modders rarely obey such guidelines. Modders are also rarely professional coders, and often implement more 'hackish' methods to achieve their goals. Nothing wrong with that, but since they dont obey the same rules as the development team, direct copying will lower the overall quality of the base code, something no team wants.  If a mod is a good enough idea that it should be implemented, then most teams will take the time to do it properly.

IP and Copyright law is a complex issue when it comes to code and software, and varies greatly from country to country, especially when it comes to 'Fair Use' laws.  Here in Canada, code is considered a literary work, any code written is granted automatic copyright protection without further action from the author.

Strange . . . I have this:

X:\Users\DicheBach\Zomboid\mods\loaded.txt

Which says

ItemTweakerAPI
Hydrocraft
YURcarts
GidOrganizedStorage
ATP
Survivors

But no sign of the actual files that comprise those mods. A quick launch shows that they are active (or at least "Survivors" is).

ADDIT: lolwut! 

http://steamcommunity.com/app/108600/discussions/0/405692758707261989/

Seymour Clam  Feb 25, 2016 @ 8:35pm 

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\workshop\content\108600

I ran into this same problem yesterday.

Le Sigh

X:\Steam\steamapps\workshop\content\108600\498441420\mods\Hydrocraft

:cry:

If that is something you guys can reconfigure, it might be a good idea.

Edited by DicheBach
typo + solution

On 1/26/2018 at 2:34 PM, DicheBach said:

Strange . . . I have this:

X:\Users\DicheBach\Zomboid\mods\loaded.txt

Which says

But no sign of the actual files that comprise those mods. A quick launch shows that they are active (or at least "Survivors" is).

ADDIT: lolwut! 

http://steamcommunity.com/app/108600/discussions/0/405692758707261989/

Le Sigh

X:\Steam\steamapps\workshop\content\108600\498441420\mods\Hydrocraft

:cry:

If that is something you guys can reconfigure, it might be a good idea.

Delete the manifest file in the \workshop\ directory.

Exit and restart Steam.

Re-verify the game by right clicking PZ -> Properties -> Local Files -> Verify.

It should then try to re-acquire the game files from Steam.

2 hours ago, EnigmaGrey said:

Delete the manifest file in the \workshop\ directory.

Exit and restart Steam.

Re-verify the game by right clicking PZ -> Properties -> Local Files -> Verify.

It should then try to re-acquire the game files from Steam.

I don't quite follow. I'm not saying that there is a malfunction. All my mods function.

I'm simply pointing out that: apparently the mod-installer places the files into an obscure directory:

X:\Steam\steamapps\workshop\content\108600\498441420\mods

I see at least one other game that uses this directory, Empyrion Galactic Survival uses it for users to share space ship and base designs. So, maybe I'm just being finicky by thinking this is an "obscure" directory. But it does seem that the intent was for mods to PZ to install in the X:\Users\<User>\Zomboid\mods\ directory?

At this point, with several years of modding on the table, it might be more disruptive to change the directory than to just leave it the way it is; but if so, it might be that some of the documentation needs to be corrected. 

56 minutes ago, DicheBach said:

I don't quite follow. I'm not saying that there is a malfunction. All my mods function.

I'm simply pointing out that: apparently the mod-installer places the files into an obscure directory:

X:\Steam\steamapps\workshop\content\108600\498441420\mods

I see at least one other game that uses this directory, Empyrion Galactic Survival uses it for users to share space ship and base designs. So, maybe I'm just being finicky by thinking this is an "obscure" directory. But it does seem that the intent was for mods to PZ to install in the X:\Users\<User>\Zomboid\mods\ directory?

At this point, with several years of modding on the table, it might be more disruptive to change the directory than to just leave it the way it is; but if so, it might be that some of the documentation needs to be corrected. 

I'm not really following, so I'll try to answer as best I can and hope we can meet in the middle:

Installing mods in %UserProfile%\Zomboid\mods is the method used during the pre-workshop days. You can still use it if you're working on a mod, and want to overwrite the workshop version without using it. An even older method is installing it in %ProgramFiles(x86)\Steamapps\common\ProjectZomboid\mods, but that'd be a Very Bad Idea, given it's from the Desura scripting days.

The intent isn't that users install mods to %UserProfile%\Zomboid.

Steam uses the default Steam workshop directory for that: %ProgramFiles(x86)%\Steam\steamapps\workshop\content\itemID\

The game then mirrors the old structure from there, with a \mods\ModName\ folder and settings file.

Ah! well that explains a lot, and probably accounts for why I "expected" for the mods to install to: %UserProfile%\Zomboid\mods

I was probably reading something from pre-Workshop days.

I wish I could recall what I had read that led me to expect them there; I'd try to annotate or edit it so future users don't get confused.

2 hours ago, DicheBach said:

Ah! well that explains a lot, and probably accounts for why I "expected" for the mods to install to: %UserProfile%\Zomboid\mods

I was probably reading something from pre-Workshop days.

I wish I could recall what I had read that led me to expect them there; I'd try to annotate or edit it so future users don't get confused.

Yeah, the game has a lot of history to fight. :D

20 minutes ago, EnigmaGrey said:

Yeah, the game has a lot of history to fight. :D

And hopefully, only the beginning!

It is a marvelous game. Inspiring even!

Here I thought isometric, gritty-management (I'd almost say "realism" as much of the game mechanics are pretty hardcore realism, but then that whole zombie apocalypse thing. . .) games with basic visuals were "out of style." Very encouraged to see that is false.