Test Track

nasKo

lockleardoid-712x462.jpg

How do everyone. Hope this finds you well and non-fevered.

VEHICLES BETA

We just released Vehicle Build 34 – a build primarily comprised of a multitude of fixes and general tidy-up work around the issues bug-harvested from the public Spiffospace test server. The test server itself has been updated, so if you fancy helping us chase down some bugs then please do join in.

There will still be some irregularities on there so be prepared (though testers seem to be having a lot of fun) but overall we’ve pruned back a lot of annoyances in this new build that should bring remaining big issues into a sharper focus.

Also a part of 34 is the updated Mechanics UI visualisation provided by Mash – which should bring a bit more clarity to what’s wrong with your car, or if you don’t have a high enough Mechanics skill then at least show you which area the problem can be found in. There’s one for each primary vehicle class – and seen below are the van and station wagon.

car-Ui-2.jpg

car-UI.jpg

On top of the Vehicles 34 big heap of fixes, we also released 33.4 last Friday. This gave server admins more powers when it comes to organising regular loot respawns, improved the range of car conditions you’ll find on the streets of our towns and also boosted spawn rates for certain hard-to-find loot reported by the community.

Another longstanding issue with vehicles are that the motor sounds have needed a great deal of improvement – we blogged about our first foray into this a while back, but after that it became clear that Bitbaboon Steve’s longstanding experience in this field could create a far better template and system code-side for when additional vehicles are brought on-board and require sound balance.

This system is now in place, and this video shows an initial mix of an idle car, a slow-moving car and a fast-moving car. This isn’t final, however, as we feel it needs more deep exhaust noises instead of the primary engine sound to make it feel more realistic and less abrasive to listen to for long periods.

This will also suit the isometric viewpoint of the game and fit the game’s setting a little better – and likewise we know the car crash noise needs some love. It’s good enough to show y’all though, as it shows the rudiments of the underlying system are working pretty well.

Meanwhile this build’s map expansion (filling in the gaps inside the primary ‘road loop’ around our major settlements for cars to venture into and search for rural safehouses) is now complete in the editor – and now handed over to Connall for the zoning of town areas, foraging areas etc. It will be added into the vehicle build once Connall has finished this dark zone magic.

FUTURE BUILDS

Bitbaboon Mark continues to work through the sorts of bugs shown in the video from last week– primarily the one from the end of the vid in which states now initialise much more reliably but then get stuck and don’t progress – unless hit with a baseball bat of course.

Other main ‘future build’ work in the pipeline is General Arcade’s Stas who has spent the past month or so bringing our MP chat functions into order, and is now working on an all-singing and all-dancing new communications window. You can see Stas’ latest video of this here – with the word of warning that clearly the visuals are due some polish as we go along.

The levels of chat this allows will be customisable depending on the way you like to play (local rather than direct messaging on RP servers etc) but the (highly work in progress!) video should give an idea of where we’re going in terms of window scaling, local chat, whispers, global chat and the like – with Stas’ future work covering PZ-specific gameplay aspects like safehouse, radio and faction chat.

This week’s road horde from 84th Locklear. A general list of stuff added to PZ, and vids of features being worked on, is kept here – so you don’t have to plough through endless dev blogs for info. The Centralized Block of Italicised Text would like to direct your attention to the PZ Wiki should you feel like editing or amending something, and the PZ Mailing List that can send blogs like this and patch notes direct to your mailbox. We also live on Twitter right hereOur Discord is open for chat and hijinks too. Fanks!

Are the snow effects coming soon? One of the old posts mentioned maybe Turbo was having some IRL issues? Sorry to beat a dead horse, I'm excited for Zomboid snow because it's not freeking snowing in WV, at least I could go play in some pixel snow... T-T

1 minute ago, Sparrow said:

Are the snow effects coming soon? One of the old posts mentioned maybe Turbo was having some IRL issues? Sorry to beat a dead horse, I'm excited for Zomboid snow because it's not freeking snowing in WV, at least I could go play in some pixel snow... T-T

That'll probably not be until post cars, as we'd like this to end eventually. :D

24 minutes ago, Spikelord said:

Is it just me or is that alot of horsepower

Disclaimer im not a car guy but 3000+

These are imperial horses.

(No, you're right)

42 minutes ago, Geras said:

The idle car sound is ok, but the other sounds... I hope you guys will improve.

This isn’t final, however, as we feel it needs more deep exhaust noises instead of the primary engine sound to make it feel more realistic and less abrasive to listen to for long periods.

15 minutes ago, Kennethdio said:

If Rockstar finds out that this company is using their stuff, Indie Stone is gonna get sued.

Yes.

TIS, unless you already understood the point: PLEASE DO NOT take any assets or code or content of any sort from ANY other IP . . . Probably preaching to the choir but better safe than sorry . . .

Listen to GTA's sounds, either in your copy of their game(s) or on YT, and then see if you can figure out how they recorded them and follow suit if it seems pragmatic.

9 hours ago, Capt_Paradox said:

Don't worry I'm sure they know better after the whole red cross BS. And even before.

Coincidentally when I originally did the Ambulance texture you'll notice the Star of Life is not the one you find on Ambulances, it's a basic approximation.

After the Red Cross controversy I was acutely aware of not infringing on copyright, which in this case is held by the US government. I know it appears in quite a lot of other games and the US government don't seem to mind (unlike the Red Cross) but I decided to not take the chance. So far no one's pointed out it's not "right" .;-)

9 hours ago, martingee said:

Coincidentally when I originally did the Ambulance texture you'll notice the Star of Life is not the one you find on Ambulances, it's a basic approximation.

After the Red Cross controversy I was acutely aware of not infringing on copyright, which in this case is held by the US government. I know it appears in quite a lot of other games and the US government don't seem to mind (unlike the Red Cross) but I decided to not take the chance. So far no one's pointed out it's not "right" .;-)

I agree that you removed the red cross on First aid kits to prevent a problem with the Geneva Convention.  But the Pharmahug still uses the red cross.

On 27.1.2018 at 6:37 PM, Tails said:

I agree that you removed the red cross on First aid kits to prevent a problem with the Geneva Convention.  But the Pharmahug still uses the red cross.

I'm no lawyer, but it's slightly obstructed by the g, so not the same logo. 

7 hours ago, nasKo said:

I'm no lawyer, but it's slightly obstructed by the g, so not the same logo. 

Speaking of signs, has anyone ever noticed that when a window with a "FOR SALE" sign breaks, the sign remains floating in the windowsill despite having no glass in the window? 

Just a random thing I noticed.