Seriously? No Non-Player Character Survivors in Single player mode?

DicheBach

If anyone is gonna get pissed about NPCs not being in the game it's those of us who've been waiting since day 1. I love these devs but I think I cried the day the laptop incident came to light. These days I check in with PZ 3-4 times a year, I'm not a big multiplayer fan and I still drool when I think about playing the finished game. No one's ever built a game like this, and it'll be an industry benchmark when NPCs release. I still remember Kate and Baldspot with fondness, it was ridiculously scripted but it really gave us early birds a sense of how NPCs might feel one day.

PZ forever, peace out.

Well, unfortunately I don't expect them anymore. There was at some point a video with a simulation of new NPC behaviour (map in fast forward with litle dots as survivors to observe the behaviour) but I couldn't find it anymore.

Maybe there will be news the next time I visit the forums after a few months (at least I never need to search for a new NPC-thread).

• 4 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, Vyn Halcyon said:

TBH, I'd rather they they not redirect resources from Metalworking in favor of NPC's. 

You got NPC's all over the place in State of Decay. Are any of us playing that game now? 

unfair comparison. the npcs in state of decay are pretty bland and scripted, it still made for a fun game that a lot of people actually played and liked. not to mention they were all friendly. npcs in pz are said to be unpredictable, smart and could be all kinds of things from bad to evil to neutral to friendly etc.. it will definitely make me go back to this game because i finally have a real threat to fear and plan against instead of the easily avoidable, shambling and highly predictable zombies which are more of an environmental obstacle than anything else

13 minutes ago, xXxFANCYCAPYBARA36xXx said:

unfair comparison. the npcs in state of decay are pretty bland and scripted, it still made for a fun game that a lot of people actually played and liked. not to mention they were all friendly. npcs in pz are said to be unpredictable, smart and could be all kinds of things from bad to evil to neutral to friendly etc.. it will definitely make me go back to this game because i finally have a real threat to fear and plan against instead of the easily avoidable, shambling and highly predictable zombies which are more of an environmental obstacle than anything else

Hmm fair enough.  Would give guns some relevance. Wouldn't mind meeting a friendly smith to trade magazines with :P Or a cute lady to..... shoot. 

At no point anywhere in any of the store page do we suggest that there are NPCs present in the game. While we apologize that development of them has been delayed long further than we expected and understand the frustration of those waiting for it, you can't hold us to task for a feature you assumed to be in the game that is not, when we not only never once claim is in the game, in fact explicitly state is not, on our store page. The whole point of the store page and Early Access blurb is for us to inform potential customers to the features and state of development of the game. It's hard to know what further we could have done to prevent getting this complaint post beyond development of the game having gone differently and the focuses and requirements of the game's development to have been different, and unlike all the early purchasers who bought the game with the understanding of NPCs down the road, you had nothing to stop you waiting or voting with your wallet except your own lack of investigation into the game's state of development. 

If it's useful for you to blow off steam and get your frustrations at not investigating what was in the game before purchasing out of your system then fair enough, but otherwise this post has no other useful purpose and there is nothing we can do beyond recommend you put the game aside and return to it once the features you want are present, or request a refund if you are still within the window. If we'd have focused on NPCs at the expense of the other areas of the game, there is a very good chance that the game would have died and ceased development by now. We've taken the path we've needed to to ensure the game reaches completion and features are added in an order that doesn't cause severe development issues down the road. That's the fact of the situation and one we make great pains to express clearly on our store page. If you think that the estimated sales numbers you quoted are either an accurate representation of the revenue we've earnt, or enough to mean we can just throw as much money and bodies at the development as we'd like, then unfortunately you've underestimated how expensive running a business and a development team over years can be.

The dark side of Early Access, or alpha-funding as it was when we started, is you have to lay out the big picture of development, get people excited about planned features and so on, long before you have the knowledge of what obstacles you will face, what the pressures of development will drive your focus on, what skillset you will have in the team down the road or what other priorities will emerge to keep the game afloat and keep people purchasing to continue to fund it. All of these factor have a huge impact on development, and it's just a sucky thing about Early Access that it forces developers to make promises they can't possibly have all the information without hindsight. The developers 5+ years ago who made the promises they did were much greener, and much naiver to the challenges they would face and would have been wiser never to mention NPCs in the first place. With vehicles going in, we've delivered on every single other promise we made, but are always instead held to account over the one we have not yet. The irony being, since most of our negative reviews are about features like NPCs not being present yet - if we never promised them in the first place our review scores would be higher, not lower, and we'd have probably at this point called it 1.0 and would, ironically, be ourselves used as an example of developers who 'did it right' and finished their game in a reasonable time, perhaps even by yourself when complaining to someone other developer about their Early Access game missing a feature, despite our game's content being identical in that scenario to how it is now minus the expectation of promised NPCs.

The developers you are chastising now are not those same people that made those promises at the start, we've grown, changed, as a long time has passed, and can only do what they can do to try and finish development of them as soon as we can. Yet still where many other developers would think 'we've worked on this enough' and stick a 1.0 sticker on it, all these years later we're still working toward that goal and sticking to our principles of delivering the missing features. Yet that same dedication, despite the fact many of us might enjoy working on something new, is then turned into something to attack us with. Our game is not one of the longest Early Access developments on Steam because we're the slowest (tho I won't deny we're slower than a fair few), it's one of the longest Early Access developments on Steam because we're principled in finishing what we promised. Many others have delivered far less in far less time, then hung up their spurs and moved onto pastures new, and then later down the line when the planned features they abandoned or couldn't do are forgotten, they are used as examples of developers that did a better job than us, and to be honest I'm tired of us having to apologise for not doing the same.

59 minutes ago, lemmy101 said:

At no point anywhere in any of the store page do we suggest that there are NPCs present in the game. While we apologize that development of them has been delayed long further than we expected and understand the frustration of those waiting for it, you can't hold us to task for a feature you assumed to be in the game that is not, when we not only never once claim is in the game, in fact explicitly state is not, on our store page. The whole point of the store page and Early Access blurb is for us to inform potential customers to the features and state of development of the game. It's hard to know what further we could have done to prevent getting this complaint post beyond development of the game having gone differently and the focuses and requirements of the game's development to have been different, and unlike all the early purchasers who bought the game with the understanding of NPCs down the road, you had nothing to stop you waiting or voting with your wallet except your own lack of investigation into the game's state of development. 

If it's useful for you to blow off steam and get your frustrations at not investigating what was in the game before purchasing out of your system then fair enough, but otherwise this post has no other useful purpose and there is nothing we can do beyond recommend you put the game aside and return to it once the features you want are present, or request a refund if you are still within the window. If we'd have focused on NPCs at the expense of the other areas of the game, there is a very good chance that the game would have died and ceased development by now. We've taken the path we've needed to to ensure the game reaches completion and features are added in an order that doesn't cause severe development issues down the road. That's the fact of the situation and one we make great pains to express clearly on our store page. If you think that the estimated sales numbers you quoted are either an accurate representation of the revenue we've earnt, or enough to mean we can just throw as much money and bodies at the development as we'd like, then unfortunately you've underestimated how expensive running a business and a development team over years can be.

The dark side of Early Access, or alpha-funding as it was when we started, is you have to lay out the big picture of development, get people excited about planned features and so on, long before you have the knowledge of what obstacles you will face, what the pressures of development will drive your focus on, what skillset you will have in the team down the road or what other priorities will emerge to keep the game afloat and keep people purchasing to continue to fund it. All of these factor have a huge impact on development, and it's just a sucky thing about Early Access that it forces developers to make promises they can't possibly have all the information without hindsight. The developers 5+ years ago who made the promises they did were much greener, and much naiver to the challenges they would face and would have been wiser never to mention NPCs in the first place. With vehicles going in, we've delivered on every single other promise we made, but are always instead held to account over the one we have not yet. The irony being, since most of our negative reviews are about features like NPCs not being present yet - if we never promised them in the first place our review scores would be higher, not lower, and we'd have probably at this point called it 1.0 and would, ironically, be ourselves used as an example of developers who 'did it right' and finished their game in a reasonable time, perhaps even by yourself when complaining to someone other developer about their Early Access game missing a feature, despite our game's content being identical in that scenario to how it is now minus the expectation of promised NPCs.

The developers you are chastising now are not those same people that made those promises at the start, we've grown, changed, as a long time has passed, and can only do what they can do to try and finish development of them as soon as we can. Yet still where many other developers would think 'we've worked on this enough' and stick a 1.0 sticker on it, all these years later we're still working toward that goal and sticking to our principles of delivering the missing features. Yet that same dedication, despite the fact many of us might enjoy working on something new, is then turned into something to attack us with. Our game is not one of the longest Early Access developments on Steam because we're the slowest (tho I won't deny we're slower than a fair few), it's one of the longest Early Access developments on Steam because we're principled in finishing what we promised. Many others have delivered far less in far less time, then hung up their spurs and moved onto pastures new, and then later down the line when the planned features they abandoned or couldn't do are forgotten, they are used as examples of developers that did a better job than us, and to be honest I'm tired of us having to apologise for not doing the same.

You sir, are a shining example of communicating with the community.

Thank you for taking your time to write this and setting things straight.  

Also huzzah on sticking to it, despite the shit you guys get thrown at you. I'm actually going to use this quote as a shining example to Wildcard of how to communicate with the playerbase. 

Such honesty, humility, strength and integrity all in one. I salute you. (and this isn't sarcasm). I really do mean it. 

On 2/5/2018 at 6:32 PM, DicheBach said:

I navigated to this page and didn't log in to my Steam account, so it shows up as if I do not own the game:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/108600/Project_Zomboid/

I did a search on "planned" got three hits, all of which were inside of the minimized "Early Access Game" text box. In order to see the actual spots where "planned" occurred I had to expand that text box, as shown here:

sz5PV.jpg

In the interest of self-vindication, that is all I need to point out. Any mentioning of the presence or absence of survivor NPCs is, apparently, at best contained within a minimized text box.

I think we would all agree that we would prefer it if the text we wrote about the game, its current state, its planned features, and all the other stuff - text which we were deliberately open about to attempt to prevent issues precisely like this one - did not require clicking "read more" on a box in order to see. But that's the way the Steam Store page is set up, so that's the way it is. Levelling this specific criticism at us as opposed to Valve and the way they designed the store for early access games is a little unfair on this particular point imo.

19 minutes ago, CaptainBinky said:

I think we would all agree that we would prefer it if the text we wrote about the game, its current state, its planned features, and all the other stuff - text which we were deliberately open about to attempt to prevent issues precisely like this one - did not require clicking "read more" on a box in order to see. But that's the way the Steam Store page is set up, so that's the way it is. Levelling this specific criticism at us as opposed to Valve and the way they designed the store for early access games is a little unfair on this particular point imo.

Further if people want NPCs to be funded to completion it would probably be wise for us not to use all our available visible store space to prospective buyers, that pass through and who we need to attract their attention, talking about the features we don't have in the game, and instead trying to sell the features that *are* in the game.

Once those customers are interested and aren't clicking 'next' its up to them to read more to get a more complete picture but we HAVE to put our best wares out front or sales will dissapear and no NPCs for anyone.

3 hours ago, CaptainBinky said:

I hate it how whenever you guys post a Mondoid (Tuesdoid?) some frakker has to put in "NPC" in the comments. 

It makes me wanna paste Lemmy101's post about the NPC's into my Project Zomboid review, and write in support of it, then request the PZ community to "find this review helpful"so it raises to the top of the steam review section, so people can stop being robots about the NPC thing. How isit that Subnautica can be completely devoid of NPC's, but it's a total crime that PZ doesn't? 

Oh...look. 

I just wrote a review:     

http://steamcommunity.com/id/Vyn_Halcyon/recommended/108600

Let's cut our Indie boyz some slack, shall we? 

On 1/23/2018 at 4:01 AM, Bourbon said:

This is intentional. The devs made the mistake of showing animations too early, and the hype train began rolling. When they couldn´t/wouldn´t deliver in time the hype train derailed and community was outraged. They don´t want something like this happening again.

The problem is that they did this anyway by showing off the AI of the NPCs that they had at the time going through a house, grabbing supplies, and moving on. If they didn't want it happening, they shouldn't have showed anything.

I'm not trying to sound like an ass, but if you show something and make a predicted release date that you KNOW isn't accurate and may potentially be several more years off, DON'T TELL PEOPLE. While not game-related, I've done this plenty of times as a writer in fanfiction sites and such. I've promised a bunch of stuff, couldn't deliver on it in time, and people were disappointed.

The devs need to stick to their guns and be quiet in terms of large-scale information. Tell people, "Yeah, we're working on it, and we plan on releasing it," but don't say, "Yeah, we're gonna release it in six months," but realize you might be ten years away. That will kill off a lot of trust from someone or several people.

Don't get me wrong, I love Project Zomboid.  But they really need to plan these things ahead of time. I know they're doing that, but even after the mistake with showing NPCs a decade early, they did the same thing with animations. Those might be another couple years away at this rate.

I think it's fine that they show things, people just assumed it was close to release because of how polished it looked.

Regardless, I for one am willing to wait. the devs have done amazing things with Zomboid and it feels so good to see the game  evolve and grow overtime. I remember when the map ended near the pony roam-o. Now it's twice as big, and the graphics got updated, so many new features were added.

Now vehicles are coming and whatnot. These people are doing an amazing job.

5 hours ago, Lightning Flash said:

The problem is that they did this anyway by showing off the AI of the NPCs that they had at the time going through a house, grabbing supplies, and moving on. If they didn't want it happening, they shouldn't have showed anything.

I'm not trying to sound like an ass, but if you show something and make a predicted release date that you KNOW isn't accurate and may potentially be several more years off, DON'T TELL PEOPLE. While not game-related, I've done this plenty of times as a writer in fanfiction sites and such. I've promised a bunch of stuff, couldn't deliver on it in time, and people were disappointed.

The devs need to stick to their guns and be quiet in terms of large-scale information. Tell people, "Yeah, we're working on it, and we plan on releasing it," but don't say, "Yeah, we're gonna release it in six months," but realize you might be ten years away. That will kill off a lot of trust from someone or several people.

Don't get me wrong, I love Project Zomboid.  But they really need to plan these things ahead of time. I know they're doing that, but even after the mistake with showing NPCs a decade early, they did the same thing with animations. Those might be another couple years away at this rate.

Well, that's the thing: what release date? There was some talk of what 1.0 would look like in 2014 back when things seemed to be rapidly accelerating (the release of MP, PZ's success on Steam, courting publishers, new hires), but aside from that the only mention of an actual release was coached with "not an ETA"

They're certainly guilty of showing and discussing things off early (and without bugs visible), but it's not like they promised to release NPCs in January, though they hoped that 2015 would be a good year for the game.

You can know the broad strokes of something and give a good guess as to how long it'll take, but chances are your plan's going to be inaccurate, as TIS still working on PZ in 2018 proves. (it's not like anyone planned for that, even pessimistic me.) Most of the time it's just because something unexpected happened (hardware compatibility) or being unwilling to cut things just to hit a self-imposed, largely imaginary, release date.

9 hours ago, Lightning Flash said:

You say this in response to: "This is intentional. The devs made the mistake of showing animations too early, and the hype train began rolling. When they couldn´t/wouldn´t deliver in time the hype train derailed and community was outraged. They don´t want something like this happening again."

Except this AI video you refer to was long before the anims video so the point still stands. yes we've made big mistakes in overhyping too early in the past and we can't take that back. We've certainly not continued to do this though. By comparison we didn't show anything of vehicles until very shortly before the public test build came out, we hardly even referenced that they were in development. Likewise we've not shown anything further of NPCs, or for that matter other big 'stepping stone to NPC' features that you don't even know have been worked on yet.

8 hours ago, lemmy101 said:

You say this in response to: "This is intentional. The devs made the mistake of showing animations too early, and the hype train began rolling. When they couldn´t/wouldn´t deliver in time the hype train derailed and community was outraged. They don´t want something like this happening again."

Except this AI video you refer to was long before the anims video so the point still stands. yes we've made big mistakes in overhyping too early in the past and we can't take that back. We've certainly not continued to do this though. By comparison we didn't show anything of vehicles until very shortly before the public test build came out, we hardly even referenced that they were in development. Likewise we've not shown anything further of NPCs, or for that matter other big 'stepping stone to NPC' features that you don't even know have been worked on yet.

I was saying it in the sense that NPCs were "hyped," then led to disappointment, and it happened again with the animations. Hype, then disappointment.

I'm not saying this in a rude manner, or not trying to. Hopefully this is taken more carefully now, and it seems that way with vehicles not being announced until very close to their first release. I still enjoy the game very much. It's just hard for some people to be patient after so long for so many things.

I just don't want people to get pissed at you even more. I've had that problem a few times in the past with stuff like stories. I know I'm nowhere near the kind of thing you guys do, but still.

I'm still of the opinion that I got a game worth well over I paid for it as it stood, not because of content but because it had a solid formula that only needed to be built on to.

The good thing about this as a survival game is that the developers started out with goals, and then the need for goals. You need food to eat, water to drink, a place to sleep. Boom. Beds, water, and food. A goal, and a means to attain said goal. Then stuff like happiness and boredom got fleshed out, giving the player motive to be smart about the choices the make. Certain actions have different drains on stuff you are supposed to keep track of. The core goals of the game right now are present in the way they were years ago at the beginning. You have X core needs and ways of attaining them, and you can entertain yourself by filling those goals to the best of your ability. You are rewarded by advancing player skills and acquiring more loot that shows that you are accomplishing something.

All the developers really had to do was add on the content from that point. Why do we need woodworking? Why do we need cooking? Why do we need metalworking, vehicles and NPCs? Will those help you 'win' the game? Not directly, but it sure is making the game more playable and enjoyable, right?

My point is, the game could have been labeled 'completed' a long time ago and it would still have a pretty loyal following. Remember that you are in a state (and have been for a while) where you can build a base, stockpile, win the game and win it with your friends. For your standard survival game, the bells and whistles arrived a long time ago. The developers planning these features is not icing on the cake, but proof of how well the formula has worked thus far. Not having NPCs will not detract from that. The goals of PZ will never be to keep a NPC alive. It will be to keep you alive. This is the story of how you died, not Kate.

Now, the developers have to avoid implementing this in a way that is going to screw that formula up. If you are expecting NPCs to interact with the world to the same degree you can, you are already expecting too much. I also don't see them driving cars or building houses any time soon. If you are certain that NPCs are the single thing drawing you to the game - ask yourself how you would reality test playing the game with NPCs that are capable beyond eating your food and hitting things. This game centers around your survival, don't you dare twist that now. How important are NPCs to this?

Is it important that NPCs arrive before everything the player is supposed to do gets finalized and fleshed out? Or is it something nice to have when the game can stand on it's feet without them?

Edited by Kim Jong Un

On 1/21/2018 at 6:54 AM, EnigmaGrey said:

Not like it's a big secret.

image.png

Dude I'm coming back after like 3 or 4 years, I saw a similar post a few days ago, you weren't kidding about the frequency of these posts were you? Gotten pretty bad. Good on ya for still replying cordially. 

On 1/21/2018 at 2:54 PM, EnigmaGrey said:

Not like it's a big secret.

image.png

This message was still on there when I purchased the game FIVE YEARS AGO. I do not think you have any grounds on putting this out as a defense?

Just circled back after another year putting off the game to see if they've implemented some of the basic promises they made, and sadly they have not- just the addition of vehicles that seems to have become a top priority for some reason. It's well implemented so I don't fault the quality, but their priorities are distraught.

I realize you are a moderator and can't bad mouth the game or anything, but please do not wave off customers expressing genuine concern that it has taken *half a decade* and we still haven't seen even the beginnings of a system we've been waiting for since buying this product.

I don't think that's being unfair?

10 minutes ago, littleblueboxes said:

vehicles that seems to have become a top priority for some reason. It's well implemented so I don't fault the quality, but their priorities are distraught.

Same reason MP came before NPCs. It was easier to get done and polished to a quality level where it's fully playable and enjoyable.

It's kind of a funny thing that I imagine slows down the development of NPCs but if done in reverse would sow down everything else.

Either you get NPCs ASAP and every next feature is going to require updating NPCs on the fly also or you delay NPCs as you introduce new features and keep slow boiling them in the background while adding other ingredients.

As long as it doesn't become an infinite loop where NPCs are infinitely delayed because of other features it's a reasonable solution.

Edit: Thought by now those NPCs are going to have to come out in such a way where they are basically THE best NPCs EVER crafted in a video game. Honestly I think the whole thing is ultimately a lose lose situation, too much hype around them, too long of a wait period. I ceased caring personally. Just hoping that stories that everyone will be able to tell through em be it official stories or mod ones will be good ones and that's the one thing that might make the wait worth it IMO.

Edited by Svarog

5 minutes ago, Svarog said:

Same reason MP came before NPCs. It was easier to get done and polished to a quality level where it's fully playable and enjoyable.

It's kind of a funny thing that I imagine slows down the development of NPCs but if done in reverse would sow down everything else.

Either you get NPCs ASAP and every next feature is going to require updating NPCs on the fly also or you delay NPCs as you introduce new features and keep slow boiling them in the background while adding other ingredients.

As long as it doesn't become an infinite loop where NPCs are infinitely delayed because of other features it's a reasonable solution.

But the exact opposite of that is true. If you release a dozen features like... vehicles, anims, base building... and then eventually build a massive and complex NPC system into the game then all the work you've put in over those years has to be completely redone. NPCs, to a decent quality, would have to have some impact on these game mechanics because other survivors would be a major central element of the game. I would argue you have it quite backwards and by putting NPCs on the backburner like this we'll either see every smaller development having to be reworked from the ground up or the project crashing under its own weight.

1 minute ago, littleblueboxes said:

But the exact opposite of that is true. If you release a dozen features like... vehicles, anims, base building... and then eventually build a massive and complex NPC system into the game then all the work you've put in over those years has to be completely redone. NPCs, to a decent quality, would have to have some impact on these game mechanics because other survivors would be a major central element of the game. I would argue you have it quite backwards and by putting NPCs on the backburner like this we'll either see every smaller development having to be reworked from the ground up or the project crashing under its own weight.

NPCs are going to be the player entity controlled by AI not how some games do it where NPCs are an entirely different entity code-wise and need literally every interaction the player can do programmed separately. Everything the player can do, they can do by default so the only real issue is giving them the AI to actually do it.

If done right the only thing you need to do is "teach" NPCs how to use features that players already can use. And let's keep in mind that most of that isn't even going to be visible to the player, I imagine an awful lot of stuff can be simplified to True/False coin flips when the player isn't looking (Did/din't get to X and did/didn't achieve Y while there without dying on the way back - Three coinflips that can create a whole story).

The biggest problem is making the bastards believable then the player IS looking at them and them being able to live out that story in real time while being rendered.

Also, pretty sure @lemmy101 is working on NPCs like... pretty much all the time, constantly, and updates what he has to work with what the game is. 

I listened to a number of lectures on deep learning and neural nets. Now I wonder if any of that can be applied to PZ. Is it possible to let an AI learn this game? I know this game is indefinetely more complex than Go, but Alpha Go (that AI that beat Lee Sedong, the world champion) didn't win through brute computational power, but by learning on its own.

My question is more wishful thinking than anything else, but for once in my life, I want to see some decent AI. The game feels real with the sheer amount of features and size of the gameworld and the zombies are like a force of nature you can't ever hope to defeat. Still, after a while I am back to playing farmville and I hope NPCs will keep me on my toes. I will possibly move back into town, to keep NPCs at bay.

Anyways, I am still following the development of this game religiously, no matter if NPCs do arrive.

The literally only thing that could get me on the level of annoyment about lack of NPCs some people have would be seeing this.
uiE0zqL.png

Edited by Svarog
Yeah I did realize It says Non Player Character Characters after I made it but I couldn't be bothered.