Dead content:15 Old features that need expansion

TheZombiesPro115

Metalworking - Almost no reward for it whatsoever. At levels 2 4 6 8 and 10 you should be able to weld progressively better upgrades to weapons. And at levels 8-10, maybe even armor.

Electrical - You still can't power player built houses, which makes sense, there's no wiring. But you can't add any wiring either.

Aiming - If you don't choose police officer or veteran, your bullets will leave the gun going straight up in the air, bypassing any and all chance of hitting a zombie and progressing the skill.

Fitness - Is there even a way to gain experience in this skill anymore? There used to be a really slow one, now this skill tends to sit at 0 xp even after weeks

Blade/blunt maintenance - Again, very little reward for your skill point, you'll find new weapons before all your old one's break most likely. This skill should be tied to the proposed metalworking weapon upgrades, so that skill points actually get spent in this skill.

Anti-biotics, spiffo's, jars - Been a mighty long time since I saw any.

Mechanics - There's basically no way to level this up, and hasn't been for about 3 versions or more now. 

Sandbox options - Zombies will consistently fail to set off alarms if enabled. Day/night cycle active should make the zombies STRONGER during the active phase, not so weak during the inactive phase that you can literally take on thousands at a time with no risk to your well being.  I'm not joking, go out and try it, you'll feel like floyd mayweather going up against 8 year olds in the ring. Maybe let us pick where to spawn for sandbox games too.

Water shutoff - Should take 0-2 months AND the water should be tainted after, then, after an additional 1-4 months the water should actually shut off.

More about water: Tainted water doesn't lose volume or weight when boiled, 10-25% of the water should evaporate. Also, water coolers Don't indicate how full they are. And you should be able to find underground water and build your own well, farmers have been doing it for hundreds of years with the help of little more than some sticks and rope.

Gas - The gas stations should be able to powered up after shutoff, and then actually have some sort of finite amount of gas, as opposed to an endless supply that lasts anywhere between 3 minutes and 30 days. Also, no diesel, you should be able to make that yourself with plant oil and distilled alcohol. And there should be supreme or whatever.

Traits - there should be more, even though we'll probably all go with the same ones anyway, they're cool and fun.

Survival - Why even enable vehicles if they're all out of gas and just barely over 0% overall condition?

The helicopter - So, the lore says that nobody is infected outside of kentucky, right? There should be more then 1 helicopter then, if society on the outside is doing just fine. And even if they aren't, you should still see helicopters once a month for the first 6 months.

Clothes - No winter clothes in the game and 1 sweater ain't gonna cut it. Also, they don't rip or tear and need sewing, and offer absolutely 0 protection. Say what you want about stab proof vests and welding a piece of metal armor for yourself like the middle ages, a leather jacket should be harder to grab and way harder to pierce with a zombies mindless attempts to claw you. Also, there should be excersize clothes, and shoes man, those make a big difference between a shitty 20 dollar pair from the grocery store and a 120 dollar pair at the mall when you run kilometers everyday.

Oh, and one more feature you guys should add

Donations.

I paid steam 10 dollars n a couple cents for this game, how much of that did you guys get back from them? 2 bucks? This game probably has the most hours of playtime to dollars spent ratio of any other. I would gladly pay 20 dollars just to know that I gave you a decent amount of money for my license to play the game. Even if this game were to cost 30 dollars, I would probably still be bringing this up, asking how I can get another 10 dollars to you guys. 

>Aiming

lolwut? This is how all skills work - at zero level you're nothing. And yes, if you're at 0 level - just use shotguns.

Maybe you mean that even at close distation you can't hit your target, that stands still..

>Fitness

I don't get what you mean. Yes, this skill upgrades very slowly, but in IRL you can't get an athlete without long-hard training.

At low level aiming shotguns are defiantly the way to go. If you look at the stats for the base shotgun:

AimingPerkCritModifier = 0,
HitChance = 100,

Essentially your aiming skill will not effect your chance of hitting with it, and you basically can't miss. Its the ideal way of leveling your skill before moving on to more difficult firearms.

On 1/20/2018 at 5:25 PM, mads232 said:

If you gift project Zomboid to your friends, you're essentially donating while spreading the game out to more people, thus increased popularity if they like it too :) just a suggestion! 

I estimate that by spending the 50 some odd dollars on the 4 pack of zomboid you will give roughly 7 dollars and 68 cents to theindiestone while the rest of the funds stay with Valve.

On 1/20/2018 at 7:53 PM, RealHumanBeing said:

>Aiming

lolwut? This is how all skills work - at zero level you're nothing. And yes, if you're at 0 level - just use shotguns.

Maybe you mean that even at close distation you can't hit your target, that stands still..

>Fitness

I don't get what you mean. Yes, this skill upgrades very slowly, but in IRL you can't get an athlete without long-hard training.

Aiming

So, I'm wrong on this one, fine. I tested it out, and you guys are right, aiming doesnt really do jack shit to your chance to hit people, all the guns work fine so long as your brave and on beta blockers.

Fitness

I challenge you to go out ON A NEW SAVE and survive ANY amount of time you like and gain a fitness xp point, just 1 xp gained from 0. 
And my personal advice to you is to not accept this challenge because you will NEVER complete it until an indiestone dev finds this article and goes digging into the games programming and finds out why you will stay at 0xp gained forever.

lolwut? This is how all skills work - at zero level you're nothing.

Blade accuracy, cooking, first aid, farming, carpentry, metalworking, electrical, sprinting, blade guard

You can get by just fucking fine at level 0 for all these skills, in fact, I never have a hard time leveling these up at all because at level 0 I'm able to do so much I don't need any additional level ups to help. In fact, the only skills I can think of that I mentioned here even worth leveling up are cooking and sprinting, and carpentry too but there's so many tables and chairs that carpentry is just, free level ups. 

53 minutes ago, TheZombiesPro115 said:

>Fitness

>Skills

1. Cool, then i screwed up. Never noticed it before you.

2. The skill system is broken, this is why you don't need to level many of them to do something. Talking about "you're nothing" i mean that you can't craft -6000 hunger food with 0 level of cooking and etc. Farming? Farming is nuff said - the most useless skill in the game. 

I don't think anyone in authority has ever stated so much with finality. But rumor has it, that Steam's standard distribution deal is to take 30% of the sale price for each unit sold, leaving 70% for the publisher/developer. Since TIS is their own publisher that ostensibly means they get $7 for every $10 worth of games sold on Steam.

Without them confirming or denying (and I don't imagine it is in their best interest to do so, given they may well be contractually bound NOT to do so) that is I suspect the safest speculation one could make.

Assuming that 30 to distributor / 70 to owner split is accurate, Steam is a _fairly_ reasonable distributor in this respect. I have it on some authority that some distributors have for many years extracted 90% of sales price! :-o I believe this was not uncommon 10 or 15 years ago, as I've heard a number of stories of publisher/distributor parent entities effectively killing their developer teams by virtue of such gouging. The rise of e-commerce application packages and the increased ease of running one's own server and online store (thank you Elon and friends?? Mars or bust??) have hopefully dealt a mortal blow to such business practices, but it is not dead yet.

There is one distributor/publisher I have been "involved" with for many years. I own many of this particular distributor's games and have enjoyed many of them, and even contributed as a modder. When I learned from an inside source about the rip off scheme they run on their developers I was honestly enraged. I will no longer visit their forums, and do not recommend their games nor play them for that matter. No F*&%ing way I will EVER do business for/with such distributors.

Running your own distribution scheme, ala, John Tiller Software assures that you can recoup 100% of sales revenue, but the obvious cost there is much lower visibility and less market penetration. Presumably given how enormous Steam is, paying them ~30% is worth it . . . especially if one already has an "in-house" distribution scheme of some sort and can convince Steam that it doesn't compete with their market place and doesn't need to be shut down.

Archived