Why do the devs show off some things so early?

AdmiralClassy

I come by every now and then to see how the game is developing and I came across this video that I remembered watching a while ago (video) it's showing off the new animations that are being brought into the game. Normally this is a great thing and it's nice to see the devs keeping their fanbase updated but it's almost two years old now. I don't care if they came across complications which delayed things, they should have learned by now to just not show anything and don't talk about anything unless it's only a few weeks away from release as it is so frustrating to see something that looks so good but be forced to wait years for it. There's no point to showing it off early since all it does is raise expectations and then disappoint them when they're forced to wait again.

I cant speak for TIS devs, but from a developer standpoint, there's lots of reasons.

Your proud of the work, think its a cool feature, or in general want feedback on it.

Development in slow.  Alot of the work that gets done 'is behind the scenes', and not noticeable by most people unless they read the code.  The things that actually can be shown off to the majority of people are few and far between. Without showing off what your working on, people assume nothing is being done since they aren't actually reading all the backend code changes. 

So you have 2 options: show off features that are being worked on early, and risk building up hype for something that may or may not work out, or not get implemented any time soon, or go for the other option: show nothing, and risk people completely losing interest because there's no news or they think a project has gone stale. 

If you don't show off those features, then months and months can go by...people stop checking in for news and updates, and move on to new things.

Its always risky showing off things early, but its also risky not showing them off.

To be quite honest it's the pressure of weekly blog updates can encourage us to do so. You'll notice we do less of that now. When you've had your fourth 'we're just getting on getting on with stuff' blog in a row and people are getting annoyed at 'another filler mondoid' its very easy to buckle and think 'I could just make a vid of that thing and everyone will be happy'. There's a lot of pretty exciting post-anims stuff that we could have buckled and shown on the Mondoid / Thursdoid, that we've resisted the urge to because it'd just hype people up too early. So the answer to your question is a) unforseen delays MAKE stuff be 'way early' when we don't believe it is when we show it or b) our own dumb mistake based on pressure to have interesting blog content to satisfy people getting angry at 'filler blog's, of which we've not really made that mistake since the video you mentioned as we've learnt our lesson.

On 1/19/2018 at 12:57 PM, lemmy101 said:

To be quite honest it's the pressure of weekly blog updates can encourage us to do so. You'll notice we do less of that now. When you've had your fourth 'we're just getting on getting on with stuff' blog in a row and people are getting annoyed at 'another filler mondoid' its very easy to buckle and think 'I could just make a vid of that thing and everyone will be happy'. There's a lot of pretty exciting post-anims stuff that we could have buckled and shown on the Mondoid / Thursdoid, that we've resisted the urge to because it'd just hype people up too early. So the answer to your question is a) unforseen delays MAKE stuff be 'way early' when we don't believe it is when we show it or b) our own dumb mistake based on pressure to have interesting blog content to satisfy people getting angry at 'filler blog's, of which we've not really made that mistake since the video you mentioned as we've learnt our lesson.

That video does look mighty tasty.

Archived