How to add Vehicle Zones to your Map Mod

RingoD123

Alrighty, vehicles have been spawning properly now but I've run into a problem with "burnt" vehicle spawns creating void spaces that have the ability to stop vehicles from driving if they go near.  I followed the tutorial and all other spawns have been working properly, is this a problem on my end or a bug? 

screenshot_20-02-2018_13-41-46.jpg

On 10/01/2018 at 5:23 PM, RingoD123 said:

This is very similar to adding foraging zones to your map, (step 6 of this tutorial: https://theindiestone.com/forums/index.php?/topic/21951-the-one-stop-tilezed-mapping-shop/ )

Simply add the following code to your map mods' PZW file the same way as in step 6 of the above guide:

<objecttype name="ParkingStall"/>

<objectgroup name="ParkingStall" color="#85929e" defaulttype="ParkingStall"/>

List of vehicle zone names to use in WorldEd:

bad

good

medium

sport

farm

junkyard

trafficjams

trafficjamn

trafficjame

trafficjamw

rtrafficjams

rtrafficjamn

rtrafficjame

rtrafficjamw

police

ranger

fire

mccoy

fossoil

postal

spiffo

radio

ambulance

burnt

it is necessary to put this in the PZW file, because I think it's already in the PZW file.

Print.png

• 1 month later...

Vehicles do not appear on my map :(
I do everything right, but all the same, the vehicles do not appear. WorldZed automatical created this file and this file looks like original objects.lua. In what there can be still a problem? I checked the integrity of the files for the program and for the game, and also disabled all the mods except mine, but the problem still remains

objects = {
  { name = "good", type = "ParkingStall", x = 1601, y = 1610, z = 0, width = 5, height = 11 },
  { name = "bad", type = "ParkingStall", x = 1598, y = 1664, z = 0, width = 5, height = 13, properties = { Direction = "W" } },
  { name = "sport", type = "ParkingStall", x = 1627, y = 1611, z = 0, width = 7, height = 10 },
  { name = "police", type = "ParkingStall", x = 1619, y = 1627, z = 0, width = 5, height = 3 },
  { name = "good", type = "ParkingStall", x = 1568, y = 1610, z = 0, width = 9, height = 18, properties = { Direction = "E" } },
  { name = "", type = "TownZone", x = 1566, y = 1606, z = 0, width = 105, height = 79 },
  { name = "", type = "TownZone", x = 1613, y = 1580, z = 0, width = 58, height = 26 },
  { name = "fire", type = "ParkingStall", x = 1582, y = 1626, z = 0, width = 3, height = 5 },
  { name = "", type = "TrailerPark", x = 1599, y = 1600, z = 0, width = 14, height = 6 },
  { name = "bad", type = "ParkingStall", x = 1600, y = 1633, z = 0, width = 3, height = 4 },
  { name = "fire", type = "ParkingStall", x = 1596, y = 1633, z = 0, width = 3, height = 4 },
  { name = "good", type = "ParkingStall", x = 1592, y = 1633, z = 0, width = 3, height = 4 },
  { name = "sport", type = "ParkingStall", x = 1562, y = 1645, z = 0, width = 3, height = 4 },
  { name = "good", type = "ParkingStall", x = 1562, y = 1650, z = 0, width = 3, height = 4 }
}

Edited by Ʀocky

Well, now I have succeeded:D I created a new world, so vehicles are created without problems.
It would be cool to add new vehicles using some kind of server command. Also be cool to add spawn chance to vehicle for a certain zone in the world editor. For example for a sports zone add a 100% chance
This would be very convenient for custom mods where you need 100% chance

image.png.bbd4b9a5dd071657ac8759f222e8449e.png

Edited by Ʀocky

• 1 month later...
On 1/10/2018 at 11:23 AM, RingoD123 said:

Vehicle zones should be placed as a multiple of 4x3 tiles (4x3, 8x6, 28x3 etc) with 4x3 being a single vehicle, 4 being its side and 3 being its front/back.

image.png

So I just finished correcting all my early maps from 4x3 parking spaces to 5x3....  I'm thinking 4x3 was an old spec or typo, because 4x3 will sometimes cause a vehicle to glitch through a fence or end up on a roof...  Just trying to save a would-be mapper some grief re-doing all those curbs!!!!  F'n curbs!!!

2 hours ago, Arsenal26 said:

So I just finished correcting all my early maps from 4x3 parking spaces to 5x3....  I'm thinking 4x3 was an old spec or typo, because 4x3 will sometimes cause a vehicle to glitch through a fence or end up on a roof...  Just trying to save a would-be mapper some grief re-doing all those curbs!!!!  F'n curbs!!!

The vast majority of the vanilla map and the whole of Bedford Falls use the 4x3 parking spaces without issue. EasyPickens did make some changes to parking stalls so modders could specify direction, but the original 4x3 size still works.

K'but....  I had (on occasion) a 4x3 parking space spawn a stationwagon halfway thru a fence making it glitch in & out.... and several other occasions where it seemed to bounce the car up to level 2 ???   where you could only see it from certain vantage points.. I guess it depends on what car decides to spawn there...  Unfortunately, once they are in precarious places like that, you cannot get in and move them so it kinda ruins that particular save-game if you know what I mean...

16 minutes ago, Arsenal26 said:

K'but....  I had (on occasion) a 4x3 parking space spawn a stationwagon halfway thru a fence making it glitch in & out.... and several other occasions where it seemed to bounce the car up to level 2 ???   where you could only see it from certain vantage points.. I guess it depends on what car decides to spawn there...  Unfortunately, once they are in precarious places like that, you cannot get in and move them so it kinda ruins that particular save-game if you know what I mean...

I'll keep an eye out for it but it's not something i've come across myself. Are you using the direction templates like in the picture you posted? I've never had a need to use that method myself but that is a new addition by EP and in that pic you can obviously see that he used 5x3, so it's possible the issue manifests when using 4x3 AND using the new direction templates.

The picture is from OP... I never really used the directional feature, because I figure random is best to represent ppl parking however they feel like that day... 

Another example I encountered just yesterday was even with a larger 5x3 parking space, a vehicle spawns such that it blocks movement across an adjacent 1 square wide sidewalk.... That's annoying!!  especially if it's the sidewalk to the front door of a building.  I might have to use the directional feature there... but with 4x3 I'm pretty certain it would block no matter which direction...  Could be wrong, but after re-doing all of those curbs, I wouldn't want to chance it.... Given the choice, I'd drag that parking spot out and away from a sidewalk to ensure movement can occur thru there...

Anyway, thanks for hearing me out... I suppose its really just a minor issue that only bugs the maker of the map...

• 2 weeks later...
On 29/01/2018 at 12:41 AM, RobertJohnson said:

Not yet, I did hardcoded this in Java for now, I'll move it to Lua when we hit IWBUMS, zones can be heavily customized (chance of keys, base conditions...)

Just following uo on this, is it possible now I tried adding a "military" zone to the file for filibusterrhymes vehicle mod but it didnt seem to work in game, not sure if I was doing it right?

Thanks

Edited by Neutz

• 2 months later...

Greatly appreciate the guide, was able to smoothly get them in-game.

Only issue is that according to the console 'farm' doesn't exist as a vehicle spawn definition, so perhaps the list is out of date? 

Edit: Looked in the game files, list does appear to be a little outdated. Might not be a complete list because the "rtrafficjam"  definition doesn't send errors and spawns traffic jams normally but isn't listed in the file.

"parkingstall"
"trailerpark"
"bad"
"medium"
"good"
"sport"
"junkyard"

"trafficjamVehicles"
"trafficjamw"
"trafficjame"
"trafficjamn"
"trafficjams"

"police"
"fire"
"ranger"
"mccoy"
"postal"
"spiffo"
"ambulance"
"radio"
"fossil"

"normalburnt"
"specialburnt"

Edited by spyjack

• 5 years later...
On 1/22/2024 at 8:23 PM, 1523cacchase said:

Is there a way to copy+paste or duplicate parking stalls?

Not really as they would have the wrong co-ordinates and it would take more time finding and replacing those co-ordinates than it would to just place down some new ones where you need them.