How to update buildings to use the new roof occlusion system

RingoD123

Any full tile roof peice that is currently not over a room definition in your building needs a room definition.

For any bits that are above an internal room, simply make sure that room has a room definition (all room in buildings should, even hallways etc). If the roof bit is over an outside area (such as a porch) then instead of giving it an internal room definition, which could possibly mess with loot tables etc, use the new room definition made for this situation - emptyoutside.

In the example below you can see that this building has a porch roof outside the front door, all other bits of roof are already over a pre-existing room definition and so we don't need to worry about them. We do need to add an emptyoutside room definition on/under the porch roof however as there currently is no room definition outside the building. In this example, the porch roof is on the roof layer of floor 2.

rooftut1.jpg

If we check Ortho view you can see that a room definition of emptyoutside yellow) has been applied to the corrosponding tiles on floor 2.

rooftut2.jpg

Once applied, simply save the building and move on to the next. Once all buildings are done, close buildingEd and open your map in WorldEd, generate lots and you're done, your map should now support the new roof occlusion system!

If you're having problems getting it to work properly, remember:

• every "full tile" roof peice (the little overhang peices you see in the example above do not need to adhere to this rule, just leave them as is if you have any) must be "over/on" a room definition, so make sure every room in your buildings has a room definition (including hallways etc).
  • Add a room definition of "emptyoutside" (without " ") to any full tile roof peices that do not sit "over/on" an internal room definition.
  • Make sure to generate lots in WorldEd once all of your relevant buildings have been updated.

29 minutes ago, Neutz said:

oh damn, this just made so much work for my custom map since it already has around 1000 buildings made and placed hahaha..

Yeah, thankfully you don't need to re-place the buildings in worldEd, just edit your buildings and then generate your lots and it's done.

I have another existential doubt with this issue hehehe, in this case I am dealing with a roof of a gas station, one half is transparent (the one that uses the emptyoutside room) and the other has nothing, it is necessary that this room has to be on the ceiling or should it be under the roof?

because when I put a room on the ceiling, it eliminates tiles from the ceiling even though I set the floor with no tile.

tig0Txh.png

51 minutes ago, Atoxwarrior said:

I have another existential doubt with this issue hehehe, in this case I am dealing with a roof of a gas station, one half is transparent (the one that uses the emptyoutside room) and the other has nothing, it is necessary that this room has to be on the ceiling or should it be under the roof?

because when I put a room on the ceiling, it eliminates tiles from the ceiling even though I set the floor with no tile.

tig0Txh.png

anywhere under the roof should be fine.

They don't have to restart the server with any/all updated map mods. But until the server's are restarted with the latest versions (when available) of the relevant map mods, those areas' building's won't benefit from the new roof occlusion.

It may also be possible to update a server without losing the save data, I know there has been varied success in the past with this, but i'm not the right person to ask about server setup/maintenance.

hello, what i do wrong, when I draw rooms i see additional walls that shouldn't be there and when i put room near mark1 i see room behind it as there is no wall

Spoiler

how it looks without additional room definition

build ed 3.png

thats how it looks after

build ed 2.png

build ed 1.png

Edited by Larnest

1 hour ago, Larnest said:

hello, what i do wrong, when I draw rooms i see additional walls that shouldn't be there and when i put room near mark1 i see room behind it as there is no wall

Hide contents

how it looks without additional room definition

build ed 3.png

thats how it looks after

build ed 2.png

build ed 1.png

After placing your emptyoutside "room" click on the place wall tool on the toolbar (just underneath view and building menus) and then Exterior Walls in the tiles and furniture pane on the right, select "none" from the list below and draw your "invisible" walls where exterior walls have appeared.

And your main roof shouldn't have an emptyoutside room def on it as it sits above the rooms of your building which will already have room defs, so the emptyoutside room def is not needed.

11 minutes ago, RingoD123 said:

After placing your emptyoutside "room" click on the place wall tool on the toolbar (just underneath view and building menus) and then Exterior Walls in the tiles and furniture pane on the right, select "none" from the list below and draw your "invisible" walls where exterior walls have appeared.

thanks for the advice it helped, but i encountered additional issue, there is a gap between roof tile and room floor, is there any more advices how to fix it?

Spoiler

build ed4.png

p.s. can you look at this issue and help with it?

Edited by Larnest

10 hours ago, Larnest said:

thanks for the advice it helped, but i encountered additional issue, there is a gap between roof tile and room floor, is there any more advices how to fix it?

Reveal hidden contents

p.s. can you look at this issue and help with it?

Looks like you need to remove the floor tile from the emptyoutside room you set up. Click on Edit rooms, select your emptyoutside room, make sure nothing is selected for walls, floor, grime and trim etc.

11 hours ago, RingoD123 said:

Looks like you need to remove the floor tile from the emptyoutside room you set up. Click on Edit rooms, select your emptyoutside room, make sure nothing is selected for walls, floor, grime and trim etc.

so if i will make emptyoutside room with all textures set to "None", then floor will stil exist and I can walk on it, but I just will not see it?

On 15.01.2018 at 10:12 PM, RingoD123 said:

hello I did as you told but right now I encountered another issue, if I place emptyoutside floor on my flat roof then it disappears but witout emptyoutside floor it shows normally

Spoiler

roof.JPG.145ac350cac2482f5f37bb14b3f0ba07.JPG

5 minutes ago, Larnest said:

hello I did as you told but right now I encountered another issue, if I place emptyoutside floor on my flat roof then it disappears but witout emptyoutside floor it shows normally

Hide contents

roof.JPG.145ac350cac2482f5f37bb14b3f0ba07.JPG

You do not want to use emptyoutside on roof tiles that are already over a room of your building. You only need to use it for roof tiles that do not sit above a room in the building as your rooms already have room definitions.