Knives: any plans to deal with there over-powered status?

JayM

A lot of my friends think it's too dangerous to get that close to zed, but for people well acquainted with the timing it's pretty easy to survive with jaw stabs.

That said, the axe is still infinitely faster for taking out zed, and blades are still fairly weak.

I agree with Zorak's idea of making the move tie to a blade accuracy skill.

Woah woah woah... Jaw Stabbing is dangerous AF when you play with infection. Just one bad timing or lag jump is death!

And its very easy to get overwhelmed if youre jaw stabbing. DONT TOUCH IT!

Instead of nerfing things make the other things stronger. Because as is blunt weapons suck.

Blade accuracy 2 for the jaw stab seems like an okay idea, or maybe 3 but you'll probably never make it to level 3 from 0 without jaw stabs. Knives are fine for now though, they're really not O.P because of the animation time to do the jaw stab, if two zombies bite you in a close time and space window you risk accidentally stabbing the one who started biting second, and taking a hit before you can push. Furthermore once you start talking about more than 15 zombies chasing you at once, you might as well throw your fuckin knife away, all the good it'll do you against the bigger hordes.

It is powerful, but It's only effective against very small numbers of zombies else you risk getting bit/scratched or even dogpiled and mauled. It can't be used against even medium sized groupings, other than the odd straggler on the edges and at that point it's usually riskier than just running or doing a regular melee swing.

If you think about it,  a lone zombie or a very small group should/would be easy for any reasonably armed and able-bodied person to handle simply because zombies have no desire to protect themselves, no self preservation at all.  I think dispatching small groups should be low risk, because anything more and the risk rises exponentially.

I also believe that the weapons which are particularly lethal should have a higher chance of 1 or 2 shotting zombies that aren't shoulder to shoulder with another zombie, to not only better reflect how much damage something like an axe can do, but to simulate that you are under less pressure and have more time and presence of mind to line up a good hit.

Lastly, if that were nerfed or removed, what would be the point of any current in game blade weapon other than an axe? They seem weaker and less common than blunt weapons to me? I always assumed that was specifically to offset the stab kill and of course because zombies don't suffer from bleeding.

I think a good way to decrease the importance of jaw stabbing would be to make axes and other large melee weapons have a chance to do crippling damage.  Sure, hacking a zombie nearly in half might not kill it, but who cares?  It certainly can't stand anymore.  Not with it's legs hanging on by a thread.

Basically the key to decreasing the usefulness of jaw stabbing is to have more granularity in the damage model.  Make it so it's smart to lop off their arms before you go in for the kill.  Make it so you get a decent amount of xp for just crippling them instead of only rewarding kills.  All this would make jaw stabbing less of an obviously-optimal method, without actually nerfing it.  Win-win I think.  People who like jaw stabbing aren't disappointed, people who don't have other, just as effective options.

Archived