Dead State review - a glitchy, frustrating mess that I can't stop playing

Brex

To pass the time during the wait for vehicles animations NPCs Project Zomboid development in general, I decided to take a look at another zombie survival game, Dead State. Like Project Zomboid, the game is set in a post-apocalyptic American landscape filled with the undead; unlike Project Zomboid, it is an XCOM-style RPG with turn-based combat and a home base mechanic. Following a plane crash in the middle of Texas, you become the leader of a small group of survivors in the zombie apocalypse, and from then on you have to scavenge for supplies, look for other survivors, build up your base, fight off the dead and the living, etc. 

The game's turn-based combat system is probably the hardest and most frustrating thing to get used to, especially for those who have been conditioned by the real-time elements of Project Zomboid. I mean, it's not like zombies are typically known to wait their turns to attack. The game's glitches are equally frustrating, with crashes, lag, and music bugs that can make your ears ache. The game also features a very poor character creation system (you can't even change the color of your damn clothes) as well as unfair AI that single you out and say "Fuck you, I'm Millwall" before kicking the crap out of you even if there are other survivors closer to them for the taking.

With all that said, why have I already sunk 40 hours into this game?

Because despite all its faults, it is actually pretty fun. It's got a decent base-building system, interesting characters, very complex lore, extensive dialogue options, and a vast world for you to explore. As of this posting it's only $5 on Steam, so if you wanna check it out, go for it. 

PROS

• Interesting characters
  • Extensive dialogue and storyline options
  • Well-designed and immersive settings
  • Decent base-building system
  • Complex lore
  • Huge open world
  • Medium replayability

CONS

• Clunky turn-based combat system
  • Numerous glitches and bugs
  • Poor character creation system
  • Unhelpful tutorial
  • Frustrating AI
  • Inexcusable medical errors (you don't treat a virus with antibiotics you idiots)
  • Flawed "Morale" system

Rating: 6/10

I can't disagree with you here.

Another big fault with the game is that many of the characters do not have much development beyond the first few weeks of them being in the shelter. Absolutely nothing happens with Jodie Hopkins or Nathan despite them being some of the best characters to get hold of early in the game.

5 hours ago, Kim Jong Un said:

I can't disagree with you here.

Another big fault with the game is that many of the characters do not have much development beyond the first few weeks of them being in the shelter. Absolutely nothing happens with Jodie Hopkins or Nathan despite them being some of the best characters to get hold of early in the game.

Where/who is Nathan? I'm on Day 21 and just got Paul Rainier, he kicks ass with an MS4. Though I gotta say my personal favorite has to be Pepper, she's a beast.

Elaine ended up being one of my best medics, I'm glad I turned her depression around because that paid off. Nathan Harris is a survivor you can get at the Menard Graveyard (relatively close to the shelter and can be reached easily on day 2, head southwest) he has really high melee and survival, but he is a great character overall for morale as he generates +3 to his total on top of his negotiation skills.

My combat team constantly switches out, so I have a few different setups.  Paul is pretty solid overall for his overall health and AP, but as he is only one person having additional options are good too. I'll have to think about who my favorite is.

Archived