Grave Thumping

JM_Forest_64

I haven't done the world's most thorough search for this topic, but given it's nature, it seems like any reference to grave thumping would be in more recent posts.  I'm surprised, truthfully, that no one else seems to be discussing it, because it seems (to me) like an issue that really needs to be fixed.

What is grave thumping?  Well, when you fill a grave with 5 zombies, it switches to a "filled" graphic.  When this happens, you can hit the grave with a weapon and get the same "thumping" noise that plays when you strike a player-created or player-moved object.  Also, you can degrade/destroy weapons by hitting these graves.  I haven't tried it out yet, but I'm thinking about taking one of my precious axes and going to town on a filled grave to see if I can destroy it (the grave).  My hypothesis is that I can't destroy it, but that I will eventually break my ax.

So yeah, graves shouldn't make loud "thumping" sounds when you swing your weapon next to them, and they shouldn't degrade your weapon's condition either.  They should just exist like any other patch of dirt in Zomboid.

5 hours ago, JM_Forest_64 said:

I haven't done the world's most thorough search for this topic, but given it's nature, it seems like any reference to grave thumping would be in more recent posts.  I'm surprised, truthfully, that no one else seems to be discussing it, because it seems (to me) like an issue that really needs to be fixed.

What is grave thumping?  Well, when you fill a grave with 5 zombies, it switches to a "filled" graphic.  When this happens, you can hit the grave with a weapon and get the same "thumping" noise that plays when you strike a player-created or player-moved object.  Also, you can degrade/destroy weapons by hitting these graves.  I haven't tried it out yet, but I'm thinking about taking one of my precious axes and going to town on a filled grave to see if I can destroy it (the grave).  My hypothesis is that I can't destroy it, but that I will eventually break my ax.

So yeah, graves shouldn't make loud "thumping" sounds when you swing your weapon next to them, and they shouldn't degrade your weapon's condition either.  They should just exist like any other patch of dirt in Zomboid.

My guess is people must not really use the feature that much, and even when they do, they don't discover the issue. I did it by accident, I was attacked by a zed when I was digging and when I pushed him back I noticed this was a thing. I assumed devs knew and it was just a placeholder.  I forgot this happens, thanks for bringing it up.

I've been building up Muldraugh's Northern Farmhouse for a few months now, survived a few helicopter events there.  There's been opportunity aplenty to build up big piles of zombie corpses.  I thought I would be "creative" and dig a giant rectangle of graves completely around all the houses in that complex and create a race track out of zombie graves.  Unfortunately, because of grave thumping, I essentially created a "no swing" zone all around my base, and that kinda blows.

I mean, it doesn't blow too bad.  It just blows a little, you know, more like a puff.  But a noticeable puff.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/23/2017 at 10:54 PM, Damien Darkside said:

You guys don't burn the corpses? I always place them into a nice big pile, take off all their clothes and such for ropes and such then SET THEM ON FIRE.

Cleans up 30 zombies real quick.

I don't know if you know this, but you it doesn't hurt to share... You can save gasoline by placing a campfire on the ground first, then drop whatever corpses you want on top of it, then start the campfire. It will incinerate anything laying on top of it. 

Archived