Switching from steam to dedicated server?

NorthRoad

So what's the procedure switching from Steam to a dedicated server? I set the dedicated server up, copied the sandbox and config files, then I copied the server map files and etc. Is there anything else I need to do? I explained to my friends how to copy their map_p file for the player character but it seems extremely buggy and laggy after switching. Like the map isn't loading properly for them, and for one person in particular, there was a delay of about 3 minutes for any text to display in chat, actions were slow, etc. Not sure if I missed a step or need to start a new server.

I am assuming that you were running the dedicated server version through steam itself... 

Once the configs are moved over, as long as they were set up properly, you are going to need to make sure you have a dedicated IP to give out, or a DNS address pointing to that IP, as well as a port that is open in the firewall. Depending on if you are running the server yourself or renting one, you may need to forward the port from your router as well so it directs connection requests to your server.  If renting, they should have given you a port and IP to use thats already set up and good to go. 

On 12/21/2017 at 7:09 AM, Dr_Cox1911 said:

What are the specs of your dedicated server?

Just running it on my regular PC but I have 2x GTX 980 in SLI, i7 6700k, 32 GB RAM. Shouldn't be a hardware problem I think.

On 12/21/2017 at 9:15 AM, FinestHops said:

I am assuming that you were running the dedicated server version through steam itself... 

Once the configs are moved over, as long as they were set up properly, you are going to need to make sure you have a dedicated IP to give out, or a DNS address pointing to that IP, as well as a port that is open in the firewall. Depending on if you are running the server yourself or renting one, you may need to forward the port from your router as well so it directs connection requests to your server.  If renting, they should have given you a port and IP to use thats already set up and good to go. 

I downloaded it through Steam, run it through the batch file. Ports are forwarded and everything connects okay. The lag seems bad for one of my friends in particular with the 3 min delay and map not loading properly, but there was no issues on the Steam hosted server.

Maybe it'd be worth it to wait for the vehicles builds' MP issues to be sorted out and just start fresh, anyway, but it's odd it's not working right after copying files and switching. There were a few crashes and desync problems before the switch; maybe it's some form of savegame corruption.

We are having an issue getting the vehicles build to work as well. 

However, your system specs look good..... more than good enough CPU and ram. One thing you can try is adjusting the ram allocation as well. 

You’ll need to edit the  ProjectZomboidServer.bat file and find lines that look like:

-Xms1024m \ -Xmx1024m \

You COULD edit the .ini but editing just the bat is easier and easier with backups and what not for server updates IMO.

Since this is a home computer and you will likely also be running the game, VOIP and the server all at the same time, I would not go above 50% of your available RAM. Less if your cooling in your PC leave a bit to be desired. These numbers are MegaBits if I remember correctly. So, if you are going to use 16GB, change them to 16000. I am sure someone can correct me if I am wrong.... the Xms is voice so if you are not using in game voice, leave that as is. Then go into your configs and disable VOIP. This creates a really decent performance boost many times. 

You can play around with these numbers and increase or reduce as needed for system stability. 

Edited by FinestHops

On 22.12.2017 at 4:31 PM, FinestHops said:

I am sure someone can correct me if I am wrong.... the Xms is voice so if you are not using in game voice, leave that as is. Then go into your configs and disable VOIP. This creates a really decent performance boost many times. 

You can play around with these numbers and increase or reduce as needed for system stability. 

Xms is the initial memory allocation for the game (or any java application), the Xmx is the max memory allocation the application can allocate.

Yup. I was corrected. Aside from the meaning of xms, the rest should still apply. Since it is the initial memory, you can either leave it lower or change it to the same as the xmx. I think we have both of ours set to 12000 on our server and it runs just fine. We dont have a huge server, but when we have around 30 players, it does not even use the amount allocated for its usage anyway. Then again, we tend to limit our play areas and people usually group up into groups so it wouldnt need quite as much at one time as say a PVE or PVP server.