Zombie AI

FinestHops

A basic suggestion, of which I do not know how possible it would even be...

As of now, you can make sprinters that shamble VERY slowly during the day by choosing sprinters and active at night in the sandbox settings.  What would be good however is if you could choose for them to be sort of switched to normal shamblers or fast shamblers during the day, making them slightly faster than they would otherwise be during the day. Im thinking how you would think of like in the movie "I am legend"... sort of. Like they dont like the light. It would also be awesome... though not really sure on the whole possibility or anything on it... more zombies during night/day.... So like, maybe when its night time, the zombies double in quantity and when day hits, it despawns those extras. 

So to really break it down...

Sandbox settings to change stats and type depending on if it is day or night. 

Sandbox setting to change zombie types depending on day or night

Ability for more zombies to spawn during the night vs the day, and adjustable.... So a multiplier to add to the population setting for the time frame you want more zombies

To me, this really seems like it would add to the difficulty, when desired.

I agree, although i'd like to add to that. i'd like something from the book series the enemy (good read by the way) in which zombies are caused pain at day, so during the day they hide in buildings or anywhere outside the sun to avoid it, but during the night come out to hunt. this'd be cool cause you'd actively have to scout out houses to see if there nests during the day to loot them, but during the night would have to find shelter or hind as the zombie numbers swell massively. I think that'd be kinda cool

There is a mod called "fear the rain" (sorry I've forgotten who the author is) in which the zombies rush indoors when it rains. If you have the time and interest in this sort of thing, maybe you could open up that mod script and see if there is a variable you could swap out  to create what you want (replace "rain" for "day' or "between x and x hours").

I really know next to nothing about coding but if you can read the script and find the functioning lua terms, you can make some neat little knock-off mods.

i'd like to but I doubt it. I know html back to front, but the code that zomboid uses I'm unfamiliar with. and unfortunately real life leaves me with little time to learn a whole new programing language to change what could be a single line of code. although maybe if a modder see's this they might help. hell, if a dev see's this they might like it and add a zombies hate the light mode. never know. 

• 2 weeks later...

The nocturnal zombies mod does something similar. Your chosen type of zombies during the day. Right now it's set up to give them a speed boost between midnight and two am. He gives the file name where you can delete this line. You should be able to just change that line more hours. I know it's not a true shift at night and day, but it could whet your appetite as you push for more options in sandbox.