Groggy Moodle(sleep quality)

Fortport

This is just a thought I had, and I wanted to discuss it here. To my knowledge, there's no difference between sleeping on a couch, bed, tent, or chair. What if there were drawbacks to sleeping on an uncomfortable object? There could be perks that negate or worsen these effects. Add a pillow to your chair or tent to lessen the chance of this happening, if you've got one. This could tie in as well with insomnia, giving you this moodle when you wake up in the middle of the night.

How you get it, and every stage of grogginess.

(GROGGY) Slept in a chair, or tent? After a rough night of sleep, you wake up feeling groggy. Your back aches and you're pretty sure there's a crick in your neck. It'll take you a couple of hours before you shrug that off, that or a nice cup of java or tea. Going to have to blink the sleep out of those eyes. Maybe tomorrow you'll rest somewhere softer.

(HEADACHE) Those zombies just won't give you a break. You've got no bed to lay in, and this chair is your only place to rest. This morning, you've got a pounding headache. Too many nights crumpled up against wooden furniture has ruined this morning. It's hard to concentrate on what you're doing, but some painkillers might knock the edge off. (Lasts as long as STAGE1, with a hit to your vision. Similar to being shortsighted and hard of hearing, but not as bad. Acquired through repeated sleep on either a chair or inside a tent.)

(MIGRAINE) How long have you been sleeping like this, a week or two? Your head's in a vice, and all you can do is obsess about your migraine every time it throbs. You need painkillers. Maybe some coffee or tea, too. will dull this horrible sensation pulsating in your skull. Without that, this could go on for hours.  (Just like being shortsighted and also hard of hearing at the same time. If treated with painkillers, will still take an hour to go away. If treated with coffee AND painkillers, the moodle will go away in less than an hour.

(MISERABLE) Welp, you're the zombie this time around. You've got a migraine, your body is sore, and you can't think of anything other than how horribly you slept. How miserable you are. (This is the most severe part. You can only get this if you don't sleep anywhere halfway decent for more than a week. If migraines are uncommon, this one is rare. You were asking for it, by not heeding the warning. It's like a migraine, but cannot be cured completely. Taking medication and drinking coffee will only regress its severity for an hour or two, back to the headache state. It will disappear the next time you sleep.)

Those are some pretty good ideas! I had some similar thoughts when playing the other day and setting up a safehouse in Twiggy's in West Point. There were only chairs to sleep on, but it made no difference which I thought was odd. I would think it would be relatively straightforward to implement simple penalties for sleeping somewhere other than a bed since the mechanics are already in place for bad sleep.

Tents can actually be really comfortable in real life, but I'm not sure they would be in a zombie apocalypse since it would be really stressful. Might make sense if traits like Outdoorsman, Hiker, etc offset that, or ones to do with panic.

Migraines would be a pretty cool negative trait even aside from being a normal penalty for sleep. You could get random sudden pain and the issues the game already gives for that, like trouble falling asleep and regularly needing painkillers and sleeping tablets.

3 hours ago, NorthRoad said:

Tents can actually be really comfortable in real life, but I'm not sure they would be in a zombie apocalypse since it would be really stressful. Might make sense if traits like Outdoorsman, Hiker, etc offset that, or ones to do with panic.

If you have a sleeping bag or something, a tent can be halfway comfortable or very, depending on that. But if it's just a haphazardly constructed sheet tent with pegs...you're essentially laying on the ground.

I think deeper moodles are totally something that can be done. Tying it to shortsighted/hearing is an interesting way to make things manifest.

I look forward to the stress moodle being tied more in game too- especially to the sounds of zed, so if you're really stressed out, you start hearing shit...

Edited by thiosk

1 hour ago, thiosk said:

I think deeper moodles are totally something that can be done. Tying it to shortsighted/hearing is an interesting way to make things manifest.

I look forward to the stress moodle being tied more in game too- especially to the sounds of zed, so if you're really stressed out, you start hearing shit...

That would be excellent. I love anything that has a more engaging effect on the player than "moodle appears on screen." 

On 12/18/2017 at 10:26 PM, trombonaught said:

That would be excellent. I love anything that has a more engaging effect on the player than "moodle appears on screen." 

Though the first stage of grogginess does nothing to you, the second stage is supposed to happen the second night you've done it in a row. It's meant to get worse as it drags on, until you really need to find a better place to sleep.

Actually, inconveniences of bad sleep happened to my character twice. After 2 or 3 (can't remember exactly) nights of sleeping in chair I woke up with "Minor pain" moodle, apparently without a reason (Health panel full OK). Thought it was a bug. Soon after I've been forced to spend a night on the bench in the changing room, and exactly the same thing happened, needing only single night.

But I'd like to see OP idea as an extension of injuries system, where source of pain could be located in the way other wounds are - projected on the health panel. Untreated headache (say, after spending too much time in the sun) could give effects described by OP. Regular hauling of heavy loads should result in back or arms pain, extensive running (especially encumbered) may cause your legs hurt. 

It would be an incentive to actually rest - currently there's hardly anything discouraging from 14-h/d long lumberjacking marathons.