More than one character to play in single player

Lucas

When you die in the game then you have a chance to create new character and play at the same map where your previous character was living. It's very good aspect, and I thought - how about be able to create more than one character and make a group of survivors living in the same base, or just a group of survivors that trying to find each other.

Generally it's not possible to control few character at the same time, but how to make it different way? My ideas:

- You can switch between your character only when there no zombie chasing you.

- When you control survivor, all other inactive characters are like statues - they are not in game, but only symbolized by animated like a NPC that is walking around at very small range (not making any noises and is ignored by zombies). When zombies are getting in distance to inactive character then it just disappear, and replaced by a symbol to not break immersion.

- When switching between characters, game is paused and you decide to take a control of this character or switch to another.

- Inactive characters not having needs like hunger rising, they are not in the game, the counter of how many days survived is paused for them.

- When loading save you can decide to crate new character or continue playing the currently active one.

Why having multi character could be useful?

- You could have one person who would care about farming, another one for making barricades, and so on. So that would be more realistic than one character who having all maxed skills in everything.

- You need to go, to look for food supplies, and you know that during your absence in the base someone else taking care about farming and so on.

- When you're outside of your base and you get in trouble, barricade at the last floor of the building or your car having no gas, you can use radio to call for help (it means you can switch to another playable character and try to help).

Sorry to be that guy but seems like you're contradicting yourself a couple of time here.

44 minutes ago, Lucas said:

When zombies are getting in distance to inactive character then it just disappear, and replaced by a symbol to not break immersion.

That sounds really immersion breaking to be honest. Would instantly remind me I'm playing a game if a character just disappears and is replaced with a symbol like an exclamation point or something. Doesn't fit into realism.

- Inactive characters not having needs like hunger rising, they are not in the game, the counter of how many days survived is paused for them.

Again, not very realistic. Plus, I don't understand how the "days survived is paused" thing would really work. Say I have 2 characters. On day 1, I take my 1st character to a house and then swap to 2nd character.  With 2nd character, I survive for months and months, erosion has gone mad on the map. What happens when I swap back to character 1? Does the world reset to day 1, including erosion effects and loot in buildings for example?

Also, I take character 2 to the same house character 1 was in and kill a load of zombies inside. When I change back to character 1, would all the zombies just appear on the floor?

- When you control survivor, all other inactive characters are like statues

- You need to go, to look for food supplies, and you know that during your absence in the base someone else taking care about farming and so on.

If inactive characters are like statues then how are they taking care of your crops when you're out looting? Unless you're talking about just swapping back and forth between the 2, in which case, someone else isn't taking care of crops. It's still you. 

Don't get me wrong. I'm not against the idea of more than one playable character. It was one of the things State of Decay did it quite well. (Its a shame they spoiled it with daft special zombies. Sorry for digressing.). I just don't think it'll work the way you've described above. I think the only way it'd work effectively is once NPCs are in, you can just take control of one and your 1st character effectively becomes an NPC until you decide to swap back. 

18 hours ago, OffitMan said:

Sorry to be that guy but seems like you're contradicting yourself a couple of time here.

That sounds really immersion breaking to be honest. Would instantly remind me I'm playing a game if a character just disappears and is replaced with a symbol like an exclamation point or something. Doesn't fit into realism.

Again, not very realistic. Plus, I don't understand how the "days survived is paused" thing would really work. Say I have 2 characters. On day 1, I take my 1st character to a house and then swap to 2nd character.  With 2nd character, I survive for months and months, erosion has gone mad on the map. What happens when I swap back to character 1? Does the world reset to day 1, including erosion effects and loot in buildings for example?

Also, I take character 2 to the same house character 1 was in and kill a load of zombies inside. When I change back to character 1, would all the zombies just appear on the floor?

If inactive characters are like statues then how are they taking care of your crops when you're out looting? Unless you're talking about just swapping back and forth between the 2, in which case, someone else isn't taking care of crops. It's still you. 

Don't get me wrong. I'm not against the idea of more than one playable character. It was one of the things State of Decay did it quite well. (Its a shame they spoiled it with daft special zombies. Sorry for digressing.). I just don't think it'll work the way you've described above. I think the only way it'd work effectively is once NPCs are in, you can just take control of one and your 1st character effectively becomes an NPC until you decide to swap back. 

Man, you are being that guy worse than I, and trust me, I'm well known for being that guy.

This just sounds like NPCs with extra steps, being totally honest. You literally just described the benefits of having a NPC community with virtually none of the work of monitoring other characters while you aren't playing them. 

NPCs have already been discussed to death on the suggestions board, these are just NPCs that you both don't have to supply, only exist when you need them to, and give you additional player characters.

Edited by Kim Jong Un

On 15/12/2017 at 8:07 AM, TheZombiesPro115 said:

Man, you are being that guy worse than I, and trust me, I'm well known for being that guy.

Not trying be an arsehole. Just wanted to open a discussion on how the idea would work. Perhaps I misinterpreted OP and they'd rebut the points I made. However, if an idea can't survive the 1st round of scrutiny then 9/10 times, its not a very good idea.

Edited by OffitMan
spelling

There is a mod that should... somewhat accomplish what you desire, at least in terms of having NPCs... You will not be able to spawn between them or anything but it kinda emulates a multiplayer setting. 

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=786130456&searchtext=survivors

You can subscribe to it on steam and add it to you single player game. No idea though if it will function with a map already in use or not but it might be worth a shot. 

Edited by FinestHops

On 14.12.2017 at 2:46 PM, OffitMan said:

What happens when I swap back to character 1? Does the world reset to day 1, including erosion effects and loot in buildings for example?

No. Generally my idea was the same way as it works in multi player, but with mechanics of single player. In multi player when you have your own private server, only for you - you can log off with one character and log with another, world continue functioning even when your another character is not there, but paused when no one is online.

And I know mods about survivors, I tested shortly, but I didn't like it. My point was about roleplaying 2-3 people in community of survivors. And player decide how much time he will play each of character he created. You have to crate new character when the previous one dies anyway, so why not having already them created and decide what to do with them during the play. Could be interesting to make a story of 3 people of family trying to reach one meeting point.

• 1 month later...

could be interesting. But in this way have to be restrictive to balance advantages. (think to engineer, lumberjack, etc..)

imagine for be working :

• while you are playing/connected all your characters are active (idle, or played),  so you have to find a safeplace when switching because your player will be idle.
  • If an idle character hear/watch/is attacked by a zombie you see an icon on your screen warn you with an ear, eye or weapon
  • same way to hunger, thirst, tired, injury, etc...

then you can add how many character you want, but will be more restrictive, taking time, and care for find all food, water, etc.. for everybody with a single character played at time.

Edited by arkahys